My wheel came off...

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
So last summer I was road testing my bike for the first time (my bike isn't legal, not pedals and what not, and I was underage too, but I got away with it) I was riding it to my dad's shop about a mile away. Just about the time I was topping out at 28, I noticed that my front wheel was wobbling. I slowed down a bit and made it to the shop, but when I picked the bike up to put it in our truck, THE FRONT WHEEL CAME OFF! I'm just lucky my weight kept the bike on top of it. If not I would have eaten pavement (of course, no helmet, no leathers, or anything). Needless to say I double nutted them...d

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sounds like the "Lawyer Lips" did their job. These are the depressed, dished in areas where the axle nuts ride. The theory, and a good one, is that if the nuts or quick release loosens, the lips will retain the front wheel better than the old style, flat drop outs that most bikes used to use.
Glad you weren't injured. That would have been a nasty fall. Here's a detailed look at Lawyer Lips> http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_l.html

Tom

Last edited: