Motorized Schwinn Occ Chopper with 5sp Gears DONE!

GoldenMotor.com

joanthandirtbiker

Aug 27, 2011
nc
Well after several weeks of building I have finally completed my schwinn occ chopper 5sp bike. I first bought the sick bike parts shifter kit but it failed greatly and was way too flemesy to take the force of a 66cc engine. So, I set off to build my own bearing mount plate which was then welded to the frame. I used 2 5/8 self alining pillow block bearings along with a 5/8 keyed rod.

I endeded up using the sick bnike parts freewheel assembly but i ran into another issue. The bottom bracket which the pedal cranks hook onto wernt long engough to clear due to the extended thickness of the freewheel and sprocket cluster.
On the back wheel i made a tool to remove the original single speed freewheel gear. On ebay i found a 5sp DNP Epocch freewheel cluster and it monted right up!

In the end it was all worth all the work. I have rode around for a few hours on it and have experenced only the drive chin on the right hand side falling off upon fast accleration. Otherwise everything has worked well.
I have gotten up to 40 mph in 4th gear with 5 gear still open.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I did a similar build. That was a nice ride, however 80% of the time I rode it in 3rd gear. I worried about the bicycle chain but 100's mi later it was still fine! One of the best mods you can make to a OCC.

Post pictures!