I want some lights

GoldenMotor.com

Spaz_Static

Jul 24, 2011
North Carolina, USA
So, I've been riding my MB to work whenever I get the chance, but with me being part time and working late shifts some times, it limits the amount I can ride quite a bit... since I don't have lights on her yet and don't want to ride in the dark without them. Now, I'm wanting a head light and a tail light, no turn signals (well, if I could work that in, it'd be cool, but if not that's good too) and I want to run it off of the white wire from my china girl engine (48cc). Now, I'm no electrician (but my father is a top tier tech support guy for industrial electronics, so he should be able to help me out no prob so that I don't electrocute myself lol) and I don't really know where to get started, but either modifying some bike light or flashlight would be good, or if it's plausible, to get some LEDs and rig my own 100% custom, 100% original light system (think ordering LEDs from here) that would be awesome.

Now, I have a secondary goal as well. I'd like to basically make a glow kit for my bike. A dynamo powered light system where I have LEDs or something sprinkled all over my bike so that as I move, my bike glows. Not only would that be awesome, IMO, but it would help raise my visibility to other drivers at night. I do know that if it's dynamo powered, if I'm not moving, it's not gonna glow. My primary concern is that these babies tend to go much faster than your standard bike and I don't want to either break the dynamo, or burn out my lights constantly and don't know what to do about that.

Thanks
Spaz

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Do a search on "light" on this site.
Sift through the irrelevant threads and you will get a tremendous amount of information.

There is no "perfect" set up as of yet that I could recommend.
I am working on my own version, but it will be a while until it is done. After that, only if I am satisfied with it, will I share my system. I do not want to share a failure as I really do not know how well it will work out.

nvmextc

Dec 10, 2010
Sydney
The generators from here are pretty good IMO, they give out 3x more power than the white wire, WONDERFUL CREATIONS STORE items - Get great deals on Motorized Bicycle Lighting, Bicycles and Accessories items on eBay Stores!
The generator goes onto the magneto of the chinese 2 stroke to power a charger to charge batteries.
The lights that come in the complete kit aren't that good but I found you can wire in anything that would run on batteries. For instance, I'm running the 7v gen, charger and 7v batteries with 2 x 3v 3W flashlights up front and 2 rear bicycle lights that normally take 2xAA, everything's always fully charged and ready to go :)

For your "glow kit" there are heaps of things you can put on your wheels that light up;

2 LED Blue/Red Bicycle Bike Spoke Flashing Light NEW | eBay

Bike Bicycle Flash LED Tire Wheel Spoke Colorful Light | eBay

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
I built my own headlights and tail light using a red l.e.d. dot approved stop/turn/brake light, two l.e.d. Mr16 bulbs PVC single throw switchs a 12volt battery and about50 bucks

The tail light was very bright and the head lights well thet had good flood but a poor beambetter for being seen then to see

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
Ohh yeah the battery was about 1 1/2 wide 3 1/2 long and 2 inches tall very small a large hose clamp secured it to my frame with l.e.d. Lights it lasted for a week or so between charges

watsup

Apr 28, 2011
new york
looking at that kit from ebay from that wonderful creations, can you use a normal 12 volt hobby/snowmobile battery inplace of the sla's? id rather use a snowmobile battery being i have one layying around and them are sort of a deep cycle battery so if i want to leave lights on they will last more than 5 minutes