CNS Carb suddenly started idling very high

GoldenMotor.com

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
I've been riding off and on most of the day. Put about 60 break-in miles on the new engine (it's got about 170 miles on it now) and it was running like a champ. Then, as the sun was beginning to set and I was on my way home (about 5 miles out) the carb just started racing like crazy. I pulled over, checked to make sure it was tight. It was. Took out my tools and fired it back up. It seemed fine... idle was normal and gave her a little gas and it was like the throttle was stuck WO. Hummm....

Had to adjust the idle screw way down to get her home... hobbling and bogging.
What a bummer way to end the day.
So got her home and I'm gonna let her cool down tonight. But first thing in the AM I'm going to be trouble shooting.

Anybody with a similar scenario?

Black_Moons

Oct 25, 2010
Canada, Bc
Sometimes a non vented gascap will seal after awhile and cause this.. or just a loose fiting somewhere on the carb, the included gasket in a CNS carb is crap, a 3/4" to 1" (1/8" thickness) Neoprene or buna gasket will fit so well, you'll have problems just getting the manifold in (But it WILL go in..)

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
Yep. I'm pretty sure I'll be ring gasket hunting tomorrow. Ace HW better be at the top of their game when they see me I tell ya!

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
After carefully selecting my sealant of choice and thoroughly cleaning all surfaces, I finally began the task of CAREFULLY and NEATLY applying the wonder jelly. I must say, you can hardly tell there's any gasket goop on the carb. I did a really fantastic job.

And then I noticed my bolt was stripped. Probably the cause all along. ...gdath