Huffy Oregon MNT Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
Picked this bike off CL for $35bucks thinking its a steal but turns out it needs a lotta work, SO I've decided to build it from frame up. I bought it because I really liked the shape of the frame and just think it looks good. Chromoly steel so I think it should hold up well with a motor. This will be my first motorbicycle project and I'm very excited :)

My plan will be to first make the bike roadworthy, and on the way convert to single speed. Then she'll be powered by a China girl motor with some performance tweaks eventually. Still debating on whether to keep solid front fork or convert to shocks.

Here's what I'm starting with..

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
cool looking bike,great deal.im running solid front end but its a lil rough off road,springs in front great idea for rough terrain,also spring seat although i dont sit much off roading.good luck on build,hope to see when done.

darkness

Mar 29, 2012
Oregon
Looks like a little work, but i think that makes the finished product more satisfying. Im building a mountain bike too, from the ground up basically, and converting it to a single speed as well. So im in the same boat.
I have a nice set of forks with shocks but the tube on them was a little too short, definitely measure before you buy new forks or get too set on ones you already have.
Cause now, i either have to find new ones, or chop off about an 3/4 inch from the top and bottom of the front tube.
But if youre doing a more "rugged" trail rider, i would definitely throw front shocks on there.
****, i would throw shocks on any bike, just a better ride.

Good luck man. Looks like a good start.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Looks like a great candidate for motor assist!
It looks betr than the last one I used!

Yup, a front shock would be a great addition for the faster speeds on the streets.

Have fun!
rc

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
I was going to suggest keeping the multi-gears, but after seeing the derailleurs, cables, and shift levers are MIA i changed my mind. Any thoughts on what type of brakes you are going to use?

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
The problem is you can't really just "throw a shock on the front" without spending a couple hundred for an RST (low grade fork), or hunting around for another 90s 1'' threaded front fork (majorly eclipsed by modern forks).

You could put a cruiser-type springer on it, but you'd have to fork over (pun) the money for the one with the v-brake posts, or deal with a weak caliper.

I'd rather ride a tough rigid fork than a sloppy suspension fork.

burnt_toast

Dec 15, 2011
TX
just a heads up, i totally abandoned this prj...

after all i didn't want to dump money into it and just ended up basically giving it away.

:-||