New in-frame chainsaw build

GoldenMotor.com

Ibedayank

Oct 29, 2011
Columbia Tennessee
SBP shift kits are driven to the pedal crank on the right side so rotation really does not mean you can not mount them inframe. Just have to think of another way it can be done using parts that are already available to us

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I think the drive belt system on a concrete saw seems like a real good idea.
Perhaps it is similar components that make up the GEBE system?
..good call on mods to run the drive off in the opposite direction!
Great thread!
rc

kev1n

Sep 25, 2009
wisconsin
Does anyone know what kind of chainsaw that is? With that right angle drive, it would be a great candidate for an in-frame build.
I saw that on another site, preety funny. It's a russian druzhba model 4. they started making those in the 60s and still make them today I believe. I think it's running 200rpm.
You guy are coming up with some good ideas in this thread , keep em coming. :)

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
Here's something that will take the RPMs. Plus a fair amount of horsepower. A little big and bulky.

Anyway this project is on hold for a short while. Have personal problems that i have to sort out, and possibly a new job to find. Don't know how long this will take but hopefully no too long. Plus it was requested i finish my first chainsaw project before i start another one. So i started to finish my first bike. So here's the bike after a few changes.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great looking motorized bicycle, N!

Seems there's always impediments to projects...
Good luck with them.
rc

...I got FoxDrive parts yesterday!
Big! Gotta consider what powerplant to use.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That weedeater end is not a compleat but it would be a good one. With a little trimming it would work. I just wonder how long most of that stuff is made so light, but easy to replace........Something to think about..........Curt

Rustycase: Glad you got the parts that was fast.I love the flate rate boxes it would have been $38 dollers other wise is what he told me.

MormO sorry to here about your perdickament,hope you get it strieghtend out soon. Thats not a fun thing to go through.................Curt

Last edited:

NormO

Jun 15, 2011
New Brunswick,Canada
That weedeater end is not a compleat but it would be a good one. With a little trimming it would work.
If you mean the box that i posted. It's not really a weed eater gear box. That is off a Husqvarna clearing saw. Max rated RPMs are 11,500 and will handle approx. 3.5 hp. I suppose you could call a clearing saw a weed eater on steroids though. Although i've never seen a weed eater that can slice through a 4.5" diameter tree within 2 seconds or less.

Thanks for the support, Curt but at least i solved one problem with the job anyway. 12 hour work days, 6 days a week, and no holidays was beginning to take it's toll. That problem has at least been taken care of. The boss just hired a new person. Hopefully she'll work out.

Here's a picture of one. I would love to put one of these on a bicycle, but at $1500+ new i would have lost my mind if i did it.

Attachments

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
NormO,

nice build on the 1st project. Here maybe some info for you down the road when your situation gets better. How about the gears from a small outboard motor?

Here's one for sale on Ebay that shows the gears:

http://tinyurl.com/7bzzgjy

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I would look at a pole trimmer and it's gearbox. 90deg gearbox already set up for an engine with clutch and sprocket, and there are many brands quite cheap, and there's plenty used ones out there.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep they are baseicly all the same strieght shaft brush cutters. But they are not a compleat 90% so the motor would have sit on a bit of a angle. Steil would be another good one. I am sure you could find a used one that the motor won't run anymore.................Curt.
I know what them long days are like,not good I worked 5 -16's in one week. Good money but can't do anyting else.....Curt

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup.

Local hardware store has taken on the Stihl line... they have a magnificent display! Wowee!

but it seems none of them have a 90% angle on the gear head except for the pole trimmer atachment. and they are ALL way expensive!

I'll work with the mower deck angle drive for the FoxDrive unit, but a small outboard motor does sound like a good possibility also.
The only problem there is generally, the failure is because water has gotten into the bearings and froze them up solid... from sitting after use.
...got a couple out in the yard that I can't even get apart!
saltwater really eats 'em up.
rc