Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Intrepid sure glad you are doing better, wish you a get well and stay well.

Allen I sure do love that sketch and your design,what do you plan on for the grill?

I will be home Monday so can start on thee parts for SB after unpacking............Curt

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So glad to hear you're feeling better, Anne! I'm looking forward to your build progress on the velocar, such a neat project.

And so cool to know that your cyclecar will be built, Allen. There's no underestimating the value of what you're doing now... the dreaming stage... conjuring something real out of wishing it to be.

And Curt, welcome home, Bud! You haven't missed much in terms of weather, but it will be good to get home. Summer's coming.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Allen,

That is one beautiful little car. I can only guess how many times you have built it in your mind as you are drawing the plans but if it's anything like I did with the tri car, it's beyond count.

Are you going to build it based on the cycle car style? What are your plans for power? Can you share some of the plans with us. It's just to interesting to be kept just as plans.

Steve.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Allen,

That is one beautiful little car. I can only guess how many times you have built it in your mind as you are drawing the plans but if it's anything like I did with the tri car, it's beyond count.

Are you going to build it based on the cycle car style? What are your plans for power? Can you share some of the plans with us. It's just to interesting to be kept just as plans.

Steve.
Well, I'll see if I can summarize. I'm using CycleKart methods (note the difference in spelling) for most of the steel box-tube frame, but I intend to make the front axle of heavier steel tube, i.e. thicker wall. I have a rather robust kind of go-kart spindle in mind also, but I'll be using the Honda CT90 wheels. The rear part of the frame/engine/rear wheel will likely be a vintage Honda Scambler - CL350 or CL400, or maybe a CB depending on what's available. There will also be strategically placed gussets and a roll bar. And the bodywork will be T6 aluminum. I have also developed a plan to cut the blades and discs for "Andre Hartford" style friction dampers. If I go into much more detail, this'll be a very long post. When I said "reams of graph paper", I wasn't even exaggerating. I had to go out and buy more. Twice. And I have all the drawings (some I kept just to remind me what not to do, and why).
I also am talking to BMV and state officials about the licensing and registration process for trikes. I intend to hammer out all those neccesary legal details before I even begin the build, so I know at each step what I need to do.
Below I've included photos of a cyclekart frame to give you an idea of where I'll be starting. You may want to take a peek at http://www.cyclekarts.com/

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I meant Cyclekarts. I have been a long time follower of them myself. I hope your able to get it through the licensing process without a lot of problems. It will be an exciting ride for certain.

Certainly like the idea of the friction shocks. I've seen them made for the cycle cars and they not only work very well but do add to the vintage look.

I'm hoping to have the tri car up and running by the end of the month and then I'm going to start on getting the frame for a three wheel car started before it's off to bike camp. Same basic idea as you have but to get it past the authorities it will be electric and pedal powered. Angle iron perimeter frame and an already purchased golf cart front axle with leaf springs and the Honda 90 front wheels that you are planning on using.

Most likely a double planked mahogany body with an already purchased tractor grill in front.

Hope you are able to start yours soon. I've reserved a front row seat in the cheering section.

Steve.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Steve, Silverbear

I wish you the best this year at 'Bike Camp" - sounds like a fun time.

I decided to re-gear the sidecar this weekend. I rarely ride it over 30 mph, and wanted a little better launch. It seems to get used as a truck...

So I went up 2 inches on the primary belt drive. Took some pics of the re-assembly for you guys so you can see how I handled the jackshaft / pedal shaft:

I run a 52mm bearing pressed in to the hanger with a 25mm shaft straight through. Silver State frames can be set up easily for this bearing.

The rotating assembly on the jackshaft is just a piece of steel with a pair of 25mm ID ball bearings pressed in to it & the drive parts welded to it. It goes on the shaft & is held in place with a simple shaft collar.

I kept the freewheel & pedal chain on the opposite side of the bike, so that I can pedal it if I need to.

B

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
FFV8,

Thank you for the photos. It's surprising just how handy a sidecar is when it comes time to move things and it's a lot more fun than getting in the car and going.

The belt primary drive, I think, is a good idea. I would imagine it may give you a smoother take off and certainly one less chain to have to look after. Having the pedal chain still there also takes you out of the motorcycle class.

Bike camp. We missed last year because I wasn't feeling well enough to make it so this year we will have to double up. It's a good time with working on the bikes carefully balanced with swimming and fishing as well as Silverbears fine meals.
There is the twice weekly trip for building supplies at the town dumps scrap metal pile. Of course the competition with the rest of the buzzards circling the pile is pretty stiff but we've come away with some pretty nice things including a row boat.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
At long last the three stars aligned. Time, desire and money, mostly money and the parts are at the machinist. The machinist certainly seems to be the person I was looking for.
He works out of his garage at home and is one of those low key people who has a grasp on what your telling him with out a lot of problems.
He builds proto types of small machinery that can be tested and then go to larger machine shops to be put into production and working on one off pieces like the motor and sprockets is his normal so he doesn't have to have a run of hundreds of items to be interested. Wish I'd found him sooner.

He doesn't require blue prints and the best part of it is he is knowledgeable about motorcycles and motorized bicycles. He is working with a customer who is building a 3,200W ebike that will be ridden in the mountains in a combination of on and off road from what I understand using a battery in a back pack. I didn't ask what the voltage was but will when I go back.

He has a dozen air cooled BMW's that he is restoring including one of 30 made and the only one in Canada.

I'll get the rest of the bike ready so when the motor and sprockets get back I'll be ready to install them and see what I have. It's been a long road.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Love them home shop guys they understand what we want. And sometimes thEy have a better sulution to the problum,like my neighbor says why don't you do this. LOL......Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curt,

That is to true. I was telling him what I wanted and what I how I thought it could be done and he was off to the races with things that I never thought of and for reasons that never crossed my mind.

If I had know he was there this bike would have been finished a long time ago. The problem in our area is that most of the machine shops only want to handle high end, big dollar jobs and the small shops can't afford to stay in business due to the property costs and the high rents.

The last thing he said was I won't wreck your wallet. It will be interesting to see how bad it leaks afterwards though. :)

Steve.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Great that you found a machinist able to do the work you want and in a timely manner. The tri-car comes yet closer to completion and bike summer camp commences in early July... woohoo!
SB

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Hi Curt,

That is to true. I was telling him what I wanted and what I how I thought it could be done and he was off to the races with things that I never thought of and for reasons that never crossed my mind.

If I had know he was there this bike would have been finished a long time ago. The problem in our area is that most of the machine shops only want to handle high end, big dollar jobs and the small shops can't afford to stay in business due to the property costs and the high rents.

The last thing he said was I won't wreck your wallet. It will be interesting to see how bad it leaks afterwards though. :)

Steve.
Yep the leaky wallet. For me it's best when I give him some old hot rod parts then its free labor. He is a retired rail road worker so kind of knows his stuff, me just a backyard putterer.............Curt

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looking good, Steve. Just googled plasti kote and am wondering if you used the gloss black or the clear coat on top of another paint. What did you use for primer?
Got this from the amazon site...

"Plasti-Kote's Engine Enamel dries to an extremely rugged, high heat resistant finish, making it the restorers' choice for over 75 years. Repeated exposure to engine heat up to 500°F will fuse engine enamel to the surface to increase bonding strength. Easy to use, this enamel is fully resistant to oil and gasoline, and will not weaken, crack, lift or peel, with exact color matches to original engine manufacturer standards. This is the answer for engine restorations and similar applications where a tough, high heat finish is required." Wondering how durable this is for gas tanks, especially around the gas filler where no matter what there will be spills, drips and such over time.

Very much looking forward to seeing this project come together with paint, decals and that incredible head badge you had made for you. How's the machinist doing?

As for my tri-car I have the springs for the front end, have ordered disc brake parts for the front wheels and tie rod ends for the steering set up. Should be ready for welder sparks come July.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The end game, pretty exciting now it’s nearly done!!!

How about you SB, is there anyway you could wrap yours up this season?

-Kirk
Having made wildly inaccurate guesstimates in the past, I don't really know.if my tri-car will be "done" or not. Depends for one on "how done" and then on how much summer we end up having to do it in and whether or not the old boys can manage not to get lamed or otherwise put out of commission. It doesn't take much to knock either of us off kilter.

We also have a trip to the east coast figured in so that's going to eat up some time. Plus, we have agreed not to go nuts with the bike building as if we're teenagers. Slow down and enjoy the building with some fishing and dips in the lake to keep things in balance.

I have too many unfinished bike projects and know that some things will go on the back burner and others won't even get close to the stove any time soon.. The tri-car is up front, however, and is the main focus. It has been too long in the making as it is. A day will come when two smiling old farts will be riding their tri-cars down Bearhead Rd, two 12 year old boys in disguise... woohoo!
SB

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Silverbear,

I meant to add that I had used gloss black paint. I think Bairdco was one of the members who mentioned that Plastikote was the paint to use. If I'm painting something with a spray can I'll only use Plastikote from now on.

I used regular red primer. I would imagine that they have their own primer and if they do I'd use that.

The machinist is going to a Makers Faire in Vancouver this weekend. This is where anyone who makes something can set up and exhibit it. Ranges from textiles to kinetic sculptures to robotic everything. One of them is a 50' robotic snake with a saddle on it.
As soon as he gets back to his shop and set up on Monday he will start on the parts.

Can the end be near?

Steve.

Link to the Makers Faire.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...=Zv90hDV5JsWqQMk4NYBlRg&bvm=bv.68235269,d.cGU

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Mr. B,

Yes, it seems that the finish line is in sight. Just hope that nothing goes wrong to slow things up.

Plans are to get started on Silverbears Hiawatha tri car and go until it's finished. I have most of the parts needed to finish it, prebuilt and other than welding the steering arms on so we can get the Ackerman steering angle right and welding the brake caliper mounts on it should be fairly quick.

We haven't sat down as yet and figured out the summers travel plans but I would imagine that we will be at the Davenport show on our way back from Maryland.

Steve.