EZR's Full Suspension Summer Project

GoldenMotor.com

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I just got back from a 25+ mile ride around town and the bike seems to be a screamer at top speed. The 47 tooth sprocket still gives her good low and mid but top speed is a little fast (around mid to high 40's.) I'm having Andrew make me a 52 for around the town use and a 58 for racing. Tommarrow I'll take picture of the bike when I get home from work. I have no regrets on picking the 5.8hp. It's a little louder than the 3 hp but still quiet enough for the neighborhood.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I was wondering how the rear suspension was going to work out. I was thinking that you would need to run a jackshaft down to the pivot point and then back to the rear, I know that if you are below or above the pivot the chain changes tension. I know you will figure a way to solve it, we've seen all the fine work you have put out. You may be able to put a sprocket on the pedal shaft on a bearing so not to interfere with the pedals, that would be another way to get in line. Have fun, Dave

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I wasn't too disappointed with the fact that it didn't work. Dean at Pipelyne/SCSW wanted to hack up the frame to make it work but I told him that I really liked the bike as a bicycle w/o the motor. That's only one of the reasons he didn't do it. The 2nd reason is Dean will be making Chrome moly full suspension frames for these motors real soon.
So when the SCSW frames are in production...I'll be one of the first people to own one and you guys will be the first to see it here on this forum. I'll keep everyone posted on the new frame but for now...I'm going to enjoy the power of my new bike!^5
As for the jackshaft idea, I think it would work perfectly on a chinese motor. The torque of this motor would snap a regular bike chain. After the top speed I reached today, the last thing I need is flying off of a bicycle at 40+mph. I'm too old to be playing real life stuntman extreme...! haha

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I wish there was a way to get one of the China companies to cast a cylinder with some fins on it, these little happy engines need some cooling. Your little 50 has 4 times the cooling the 70cc China has. I can feel quite a difference as the engine goes through the temperature range, Cold no power, Just warm power, getting hot power goes away. Years ago we were running a 500 Suzuki at the drags, in the morning it was cool we could beat everything, but as the day wore on and we got through the eliminations the evening was hotter and we gave up HP and the win. 2 Smokes like to be cool to make Power. Have fun, Dave

PS: What did you do with the China engine with the reed block on it? I always wanted to see it run. I wish you lived closer I would like to do the mods for you, I think you would like it.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It's kinda funny because when I first seen the motor, I said to myself: Holy Smokes that motor looks about as big as a 125cc! The 3hp hp is probably the perfect motor for bicycles. They are thinner than mine and since the cylinder is cast iron, the motor is unbelievably quiet. I rode the 3 hp bicycle the other day and was pleasantly surprised how fast it was and the power band was smooth.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
PS: What did you do with the China engine with the reed block on it? I always wanted to see it run. I wish you lived closer I would like to do the mods for you, I think you would like it.

We still have the reeded motor on a bike in the shop. Dean trimmed the piston and added a couple more intake ports. It's a pretty strong running motor but it doesn't compare to our new set-ups.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
AH, I was wondering what happened to that engine. Sounds like Dean is one of the guys from the neighborhood. One of the things that the China dolls will never do is rev. OK just wondering, I still wish you guys were closer, I would like to come by the shop. Have fun Dave

Fosscati

Jul 3, 2008
Ocean Shores, NSW
Here it is with its new rubber. Specialized Armadillo Tires

Are you going for a 4-stroke rack mount Easy? Wioth a NuVinci Hub? BTW I use those Armadillos and they are a great tyre. They're a rubber compound tread on kevlar walls. Great on corners. That frame looks like it will be a comfortable and fast ride.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The Bike passed the test today! I rode a minimum of 40+ miles in the Mojave Desert. The bike held up great under the all the stess of all the potholes, bumps, hills, sand and rough terrain. I was impressed how well the bike performed with a 47 tooth sproket and how strong the engine ran in 100+ degree weather.

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal

I forgot to mention that even though I was in the land of thorns and lots of tire piercing objects...I didn't get one flat. Those Specialized Armadillo Tires with-stood all the thorns I pulled out of the tires.(^)

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
And look...No Exhaust or head leaks!!:D It was great not to worry about breaking down or power lost due to heat.:D
In case anyone was wondering...YES, I was wearing shorts and no inside of the thigh or leg burns!

Last edited: