The Rise of the Electronaut's

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Right now in the u.s. the electric bicycle market is infinitesimal, but my crystal ball sees a perfect storm brewing on the horizon. Fueling this perfect storm is a confluence of factors quietly happening almost unnoticed to the untrained eye.

For starters there's a federal initiative promoting the construction of walking/biking trails, using phony baloney federal money that's being offered to all localities across the country. Here in Dallas, which has had the dubious honor of being considered the most unfriendly bicycle city in America for many years, hundreds of miles of trails have recently been built, and hundreds more miles are planned. Many of the new planned trails will join up with existing trails forming a network of trails independent of city streets. Soon for the first time ever it's going to be possible to commute on a bicycle all across the city without riding in traffic on city streets.

Of course whenever federal money is used there's always strings attached. A little noticed clause in the initiative states that trails built with federal money must allow electric bicycles, and other electric vehicles access to these trails. Perfect Storm

Next, we have improved battery technology available now, with even better technology coming soon, that makes electric bicycles more practical than ever in the past.

Added to this is the ever higher cost of driving, and maintaining a motor vehicle, combined with a poor economy, and job market that makes owning, and using an electric bicycle for commuting starting to look very good.

Combined with all this is the fact that not only is it economical, and feasible for individuals to custom build their own electric bicycles, there's also more and more manufacturers coming into the market with complete, nicely built models for people less inclined to make their own.

As soon as electric bicycles are common on bicycle trails, and bicycle trails are common in city's, it will probably be the death of gas motorized bicycles, because they aren't included in the federal statutes, and would never be accepted anyway. But it won't matter, because everyone and his mother with want an electric bicycle.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
+1
I definitely agree, nut!

There is a huge future in electric bikes...

I am watching closely to see where, and when, Elon Musk will build his battery manufacturing plant here in the us.

I have a great deal of respect for Elon Musk!

Best
rc

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
+1
I definitely agree, nut!

There is a huge future in electric bikes...

I am watching closely to see where, and when, Elon Musk will build his battery manufacturing plant here in the us.

I have a great deal of respect for Elon Musk!

Best
rc
I agree. Until Tesla came along no one thought electric cars had a chance. Now look at what's happening almost overnight with them. All electric vehicles will benefit from Tesla's success, but probably electric bicycles the most, because they're the most affordable for the masses.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Wouldn't it be great if Tesla came out with an electric bicycle! Other car manufacturer's have already. That would really start a fire lol. sorry

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I sure do hope you're right. I don't think it's a slam dunk yet.

Cost of maintaining an automobile is one factor that's on our side. Better electric vehicle technology is another factor on our side.

But there is definite political hostility toward putting hwy dollars toward bike infrastructure and it's not clear yet just who will win that fight.

I do agree that even I won't be terribly sorry about having to give up internal combustion engines. I won't mind it if electrics become more mainstream.

So I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I hope it's not going to be the case where we have to give anything up. I think we're flat out talking about superior technology that's so desirable the old tech will fall by the wayside from lack of interest. Something that's going to happen rather quickly once the fire starts.

A small example of how fast new technology can take over is in the new car I just bought for my wife. It has push button starting. There's no keyhole for the ignition. As long as your electronic "keyfob" is in your pocket, you can start the car by pushing the start button. No hunting for your keys in your pocket. No hunting for a keyhole in the dark.

In a little over 2 weeks I already consider an ignition key obsolete, because the new technology is clearly superior.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Have fun dodging the senior citizens riding their electric chairs down the bicycle paths!
In all seriousness it sounds like Dallas has a great thing going for you all out there.
As for the future of electric bicycles and the advancement of battery technology, I think that the future is very bright and I hope that battery technology greatly accelerates it's current rate of innovation.
I really want a bike like Electronaut, I just can't afford the technology to duplicate the awesome results that the Stealth Bomber provides.
If the technology improves, hopefully I will be able to afford yesterday's technology and I then can build a similarly awesome bike.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
One thing we can all look forward to is the prices dropping off a cliff once sales start to skyrocket. Some good examples from the past are, VCR's, radar ovens, computers, and flat screen TV's. All of those were very expensive when they first came out. I hope coming soon, low cost electric bicycles.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
Just wait till your computerized car winds up the windows and locks you in while your stuck in a creek crossing and the tide is coming up!
I hope you have one of those emergency glass hammers!
True story.
Give me old tech any day.
Throw away society.
My 30 year old Toyota is easy to fix, tough, reliable and cheap on parts. It will also go through a creek crossing over the head lights.
My mum drove of the road in her 2 year old Suzuki and all the air bags went off, a few minor scratches and the car was written off.
I'm not convinced.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Just wait till your computerized car winds up the windows and locks you in while your stuck in a creek crossing and the tide is coming up!
I hope you have one of those emergency glass hammers!
True story.
Give me old tech any day.
Throw away society.
My 30 year old Toyota is easy to fix, tough, reliable and cheap on parts. It will also go through a creek crossing over the head lights.
My mum drove of the road in her 2 year old Suzuki and all the air bags went off, a few minor scratches and the car was written off.
I'm not convinced.
LOL, that's why I said, "I hope it's not going to be the case where we have to give anything up." It's got to be only because there's a clear advantage to the new technology that makes us want it, or what's the point?

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
The future will be now when large capacity batteries become cheap, that's what's holding me back right now, I can't justify the expense.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
To biking enthusiast dollar value matters. To a true bike lover, dollar value plays very little role.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
Say that when you're living off ramen and microwave burritos and living in a tiny apartment, despite the fact you work your arse off full time. Dollar value plays an role in everything that we do in our lives on a daily basis, and if you spend wisely you are able to experience more joy for your dollar.

Theon

Jan 20, 2014
FNQ Australia
I agree with what your saying Biknut,
And my mood has been a little negative of late.
I took up this hobby because of financial restraint.
And get a little jealous of what you guys spend on yours.
I'd love to put together a decent electric bike, however it's not in my priority list ATM.
I'm looking at having to sell more whats left of my toys, to keep going on the newer projects I have.
And you rarely get even close to your money back.
To me this is largely an exercise in Recycling and getting the most fun for my dollar.
And having something to keep me entertained while I look after small children.
My Boss is going bankrupt, and has trouble paying, But I love my job and still want to help him.
We survive largely on Tourism here, and since the Yanks have stopped coming (and tipping),
It's tight for everyone that don't have a job in the mines.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
To biking enthusiast dollar value matters. To a true bike lover, dollar value plays very little role.
This,from the man who spent $10,000 on a bicycle. And shouldn't this thread be in the electric section? Or the tavern? I guess 50mph would blur your eyesight. laff

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This,from the man who spent $10,000 on a bicycle. And shouldn't this thread be in the electric section? Or the tavern? I guess 50mph would blur your eyesight. laff
The reason I posted in the general forum is because it's something I see looming large on all of us. It's not about me.

I saw my 3rd Tesla today.