Found a Velodrome in my local area

GoldenMotor.com

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
These are some pics I found of it. It's about 15mins drive from my place - Im in the West of Auckland (Largest city here in New Zealand) & this is in another one of the western suburbs.
It was originally built for, & apparently still sometimes used by, those strange people known as cyclists who dont have motors, but i gather it is basically a public park / public access type deal, so I will be going to have a look sometime soon.
This was the history I found:
"Olympic Park New Lynn Velodrome, built in 1936, re built 1967, abandoned 1994 because of subsidence in back straight, part of the track was built on reclaimed land fro a rubbish tip. Track is still there 7 meters wide but narrows to 3 meters in subsidence area, potential to be fixed."
here's some pix & a link (the dude in the photo is an Australian tourist, pic was via google. when i go I will take some pics myself). FixedGearFever - The Worlds Best Velodrome Database!

Attachments

Last edited:

axelkloehn

Sep 22, 2011
Germany
Oh, great- but I can top this. About 1hr away from my home there is an outdoor velodrome in Hannover/north germany. Google coordinates are:

52°19'29.94"N

9°46'32.23"E

and it is a real board track with 49 degrees banking!!

Did not contact them by now, it is a foundation for preserving that place and they allow bicycle races there, but motorbikes? Surely it is a nice foto location for my bikes...

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
There are plans to build one in Tucson...

Local group moving forward on velodrome plan | Tucson Velo

With help from Pima County officials, a small group of key figures in the cycling community is moving forward with plans to build a velodrome in Tucson.

Jamie Carney, a professional track racer who is working the group, said the velodrome is an important piece of making Tucson a cycling destination.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
now that's cool Harry. I like the funny comments too about the Villiers vs. China too.
hey one thing, I know Oz is hot, but should you really be wearing shorts whilst riding? sorry, it's just I went to riding school years ago & they taught us all about riding gear

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I welded with sandals on many years ago and a bright orange piece of slag got between my foot and the bottom of the sandal. Yep, screamed bloody murder. Dumb things we do, lol.

brett7777

Aug 19, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I went & had a look at my local velodrome today. The track itself is in quite good condition, the asphalt is not very old, & it's reasonably smooth. It's open for anyone, noone there when I was there, apparently not overly used, looks to be a great spot for me to ride the Sportsman Flyer. The sides at the ends are quite a steep angle. On one of the straights it has been narrowed to half the width of the track (because of earlier subsidance) but I dont think that's a problem.