Has anyone tried to adapt a Tillotson Carb on the China bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
I was wondering if anyone has tried to mount a Tillotson, Walbro ot Zama pressure assisted fuel pump carb to the China bikes? I have seen some of the guys that race go carts using them on 5 hp Briggs so I am sure they would deliver enough gas and fuel.

If so where are you pulling the pressure to drive the fuel pump side of the carb. I would think presumably it would be from the crankcase but how are you getting it to the pressure inlet of the carb?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've played around with them. To get fuel pressure tap a port inlet off of the intake manifold between the cylinder intake flange and the back side of the carb. Some carbs can be modified to get the pump pulse signal on the carb by plugging the pulse tap and redrilling the carb to get the pump pulse signal inside of the carb which will be down stream of the carb slide or butterfly.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Which one of the three were you trying Norm? My favorite is the Tillotson followed by the Zama. Thanks for the reply this sounds like a mod to play with later on another engine.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I've played with the zuma and walbro on the bike. Problem is they were not a very good when throttling up and down I didn't mess with them for long so that could be the throttling problem and they probably were not sized correctly for the bike , I just used what I happened to have.
They will work on a bike engine but Still......................A properly set up stock carb is still the best bet, again my opinion cause they are so simple.
It don't hurt to play around with a different type carb if you want to mess with it.
I also have a tilly carb for the kart. But its set up for alcohol and way too big for a bike engine.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Well thanks for the reply and allowing your brain to be picked at... I have a huge supply of Tillotsons and Zamas from building Target and Stihl Concrete Saws for quite a while and they are about the same displacement as the China's so I may try to adapt one at a later date. I will let you know what I end up with.