how do i keep chain from rubbing my rear tire?

GoldenMotor.com

videomandw

Jun 24, 2010
indiana
hello,

i am installing a chinese two stroke in a schwinn riverside bike. this is my first motorbike build so i am new at this. i installed the motor and rear sprocket according to directions. when i put the drive chain on, i found it rubs the side of my rear tire.

i tried moving the motor over a little to the left but it still rubs. did i do something wrong? how can i get some space between my rear tire and drive chain?

any help would really be appreciated.

dave
valparaiso, in

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
hello,

i am installing a chinese two stroke in a schwinn riverside bike. this is my first motorbike build so i am new at this. i installed the motor and rear sprocket according to directions. when i put the drive chain on, i found it rubs the side of my rear tire.

i tried moving the motor over a little to the left but it still rubs. did i do something wrong? how can i get some space between my rear tire and drive chain?

any help would really be appreciated.

dave
valparaiso, in
Put the sprocket on inside-out, if the teeth are offset a little to the dish. It doesn't look like it would do a whole lot of anything but it does make a lot of difference.

If that don't work, you'll need a thinner tire. Usually, you can down those tires from 2.125 (standard stock cruiser whitewalls) down to some 1.75 width ones (there's various sizes in between too) while keeping the same rims. Get the ones with a kevlar band in them (usually the same price as the regular tires), & the SLIME tubing. Pulling those rear tires off is a real pain if you get a flat on the road (master link, aligning the wheel just perfect between the two chains, pulling your 40 pound bike on and off a rim, making sure the thing doesn't fall over & spill all your gas out with one of the wheels off, etc), so you want it to be as resistant as possible. Might as well solve two problems at once.

But no, you didn't do anything wrong. It's a common issue with most builds.

Last edited:

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Video,
I have a Schwinn riverside also. Other than ensuring the engine is squared in the frame and a mild trim of the rear fender for chain clearance, the chain should not hit the rear tire. If it still is a couple of things to check, chances are the rear sprocket is "dished", I really don't have enough info... are you using the stock mounting method? if sothe rubber that came with the kit is different, one thicker than the other, may consider rotating the sprocket 180 to change the off-set. Ensure the rear wheel is centered evenly in the frame, also ensure proper chain tension. Hope that helps.

Mac

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
try a smaller tire...the tire you have should be 2.125 x 26....thats stock for that bike...try 1.95...Dennis

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Welcome to the forum Videomandw! Pretty much stuck with what you got there. Smaller tire size will help. I get the impression the rag joint is not done right seeing Mac has one..

It goes sprocket, rubber, spokes, rubber, the clam shell pieces then bolt it on. If the sprocket teeth are offset put the far side out to distance the chain over. You can also use a J shaft that will let you run as big a tire the frame will hold.
Sick Bike Parts LLC - Performance parts for your motorized bicycle

Scooterpimp

Jul 14, 2010
Delaware???
If your running the whitewall cruiser tires (2-1/4) Try the same size in a road tread tire. they are at least 3/8 + narrower than the balooners from wally world. Providing all alignment issues are corrected etc.

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
I am having the same issue and was wondering, how do guys run those wide balloon tires and not have the chain rubbing!!
dog...here is a trick that might help...first use the mountain bike tire...second and real important...use a 26 x 2.125 wheel...if you use the 26 x 1.75 the tire when inflated protrudes...when you use the 2.125 the tire when inflated does not protrude that much...check your alignment....and again the chain tensioner can be adjusted a little to help...a set pin can be put thru the tensioner and frame so it does not move...hope that helps...Dennis

beadlejuice

Oct 14, 2010
Hesperia Ca
hey man i had the same problem my buddy showed me how you can put washers behind the sprocket in the motor to actually set the chain farther out seems to be workin fine for me

brianc83

Dec 30, 2010
San Francisco
Please help! I came across a similar problem today when I wrapped up my first build using a Dax motor. Ran like a dream with the exception of my rear tire getting shredded by the chain.

It only gets shredded on two parts of the tire though (highlighted in the image). Is this a balance issue? or a "true"ing issue?

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
If it's really drivin ya nuts and you wanna run the big tyres etc.
Get yourself a grubee HD back rear rim and hub.
This will fix ur pronlem unless there's something i'm not seeing..

You can buy them pre-assembled ya just might need to do a bit of a search.. If you lived in Sydney I could tell ya exactly where to 2 get'em but..

These rims are the s#1t they take evrything you can throw at them not only do they give you the ability to move the sprocket out but they also have 12gauge spokes, a bullet proof hub and a double wall 1.75" rim they truely are tough.

I got mine for $170 a little steep I know but I never have to worry about anything involved with the back wheel gr8 peace of mind best move I ever made..

Attachments

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
what ever you do dont put a couple of spacers/nuts on the RHS of the rim on the axle between the bearing lock nut and the frame to make the tyre at the point where the chain rubs get further way from the tyre by making the tyre run a little untrue via leaning it away a little.. Yes it will work but its just dodgy I have done this b4 and I dont recommend it coz its just not right if ya know what I mean.....

breno

Aug 19, 2010
Syd. OZ
Please help! I came across a similar problem today when I wrapped up my first build using a Dax motor. Ran like a dream with the exception of my rear tire getting shredded by the chain.

It only gets shredded on two parts of the tire though (highlighted in the image). Is this a balance issue? or a "true"ing issue?

your sproket looks like its on backwards going by that shine near the chain.
i could b wrong though.
Bevelled edge goes out away from the spokes.
Nice tyres by the way.

brianc83

Dec 30, 2010
San Francisco
I know what your thinking........dont take it to the ancient indian burial ground..spr.
LOL thanks for your help, man. Not sure if I wanna shell out that much for the grubee HD, but if I flip the sprocket, that may just give me enough clearance to save the tire (PS. that was my least favorite and most time consuming part of assembly). If not, I might just go for the 26x1.75s. So close, yet so far!
:-||

motorhead419

Jul 6, 2009
ohio
your sproket looks like its on backwards going by that shine near the chain.
i could b wrong though.
Bevelled edge goes out away from the spokes.
Nice tyres by the way.
You might need to flip the sprocket to get it away from the tire as much as possible...Then get it as true as you can. zpt