New Canadian Guy Here

GoldenMotor.com

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
Hey, well I have been eyeing these motorized bicycles for awhile, I see them around every now and then and they are cool. I rode my first electric bicycle the other day and got up to the legal max of 30kmh which isnt much and now I am set on going either way, probably motorized 2 stroke first. My greatest downside for motorized 2 stroke is the engine noise, I don't want to stick out when I am riding. I know there are different methods to quieten them down and all, and I am willing to try just about anything. Anyway I will start posting my questions in the forum and see where it leads, my biggest Question is which is the best quality engine to kit, I heard Sick Bicycle is good.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome to the site!!

There's a lot of different opinions on engine choices --- each have their pros and cons. Just read a variety of the threads to get somewhat of an insight of what might work for you. Most of the members are very helpful here.

Best of luck in your new adventure!!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Before you can get useful advice we need to know what bike it will go on, what kind of skills do you have, how interested are you in the mechanical aspect of this, what kind of budget are you working with? What kind of riding situation... real hilly? Are you a big guy (heavy)? These are the kinds of things that would help lead to useful answers.

You are aware of the illegality of home made gas bikes in Canada, right? You might want to ask one of those guys you see riding how they're doing with the powers that be. Electric is more expensive, but legal anyway. I still can't figure out why a place with 1.2 bazillion chain saws all going at the same time is worried about a handful of motor bikes. Good luck with your venture.
SB

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Cops don't bother me, they don't even care. They stopped my brother for not having lights at dusk, mostly asked questions about the bike itself!

About 100 meters away, I could barely hear my bike as a co-worker tried it out. They just seem loud because you are right over the motor.

And, learn about these motors, when you are 10k's from home you'll be glad you did! (and bring your tools)

mkatt4x4

Aug 30, 2013
Canada
I will buy any regular mountain bike I need that will be suitable for the application. I like roadway riding (point A to point B - grocery getting, so 50 km/h max), I like paved pathways, packed dirt, single track tree bush riding. I have ridden cruisers before and they are not my thing.

I have average mechanical skills, I am very interested in the mechanical aspect because I think this will become my new hobby, I've been looking for a cool hobby, never really had one before. Riding, pretty flat a couple steep short hills, lots of long gentle hills. I have asked those guys I see on the motorized bicycle and they havent been hassled by The Man, just curosity. I guess if your going crazy doing stupid things they will pull you aside and run your name. But I would like mine to be more silent, because I heard these bikes and they are somewhat noticable at 90 degrees, but I am always looking for a scooter instead of a bike.

Engine Kit - up to $500 for the right kit, the bicycle anywhere from $500 to $2k.

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The laws depend on where in Canada you are, too. In Ontario, you're supposed to have the 'LSM' endorsement on your license to ride. Here in BC, the few cops I've seen so far that could have easily pulled me over just smiled and waved as I putted past.