My first build.

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks Map! That's a righteous price on the idler wheel, I was thinking that the full wheel would be better as it will have more take up on the chain. I will get one from you on the next build.
Oh yeah, if you ever need one just holler at me and I'll get one headed your way.

I make them in several different colors also.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks guys! I shortened and tucked all the cables since the pics. Ordering pipe,carb,intake,plug, and plug wire friday. It's a really fun project and the GPS is telling me good things :)

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Very nice looking fo sho...
yours is set up a lot like mine being your tire hight is slightly bigger you should be up around 9500 or so rpm to be hitting 43 mph with that sprocket, mine is a 26" mountainbike with a top speed of 41 mph at 9450 rpm... so very close. I'm still running the stock jetting so it 4 strokes a lot on top but when it cleans up it goes...

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks, I don't have a tach yet so had no idea on RPMs at that speed but that should be really close.My GSXR turned around 13000 if I remember right. I can hear this one is really spinning for what it is. I plan to drill the proper holes in the piston to help balance it and then the wrist pin center if neccesary. Hopefully the holes in the piston combined with a better plug/wire/boot the 50 to 1 synthetic along with the other new parts will smooth it out at high RPMs.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice parts LSR

Which pipe is that?

I just got my KX65 pipe in a couple days ago and it looks similar but I'm not sure the bend is exactly the same.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Thanks guys, I'm excited to try this stuff out. The expansion chamber in the pic from yesterday is off a YZ and I have a header pipe and an open stinger I plan to clamp into it so I can play with lengths before welding it up, as kind of a race only pipe. I also ordered a small pocket bike expansion chamber, carb, throttle and the new larger manic mechanic intake from bicycle motor works yesterday, it should arrive Tuesday. My plan is to use the small pipe on the street and set the big pipe up for max power and racing.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'd recommend getting engine set up for one pipe and leaving it that way, if you plan to re-jet the carb every time you change pipes and such I guess that will be OK, but I can tell you that you will get better all around performance with the YZ pipe from low end all the way up to top end, I personally wouldn't bother with that tiny little pipe if I had a nice YZ pipe set up.

I have a couple of the pocket bike pipes myself and they do ok for a moderate build, but remember that any time yoy can flow more air through that engine you will need to make sure you are putting more fuel in the mix also, if not you'll likely end up with a lean run condition and could cook your engine.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I totally agree on the YZ pipe. This motor will either evolve all the way and be transplanted onto another frame or replaced on this bike. I am kind of gather parts to build several bikes in this process so the little pipe will only be on here for a short time if at all. I want to take at least two bikes to race, One moderate and one all out closer to the edge so I think the little pipe may be useful for a more moderate tune if I can make it work ok with some cutting and adding to it.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I was thinking of starting the next motor build with a balanced DAX bottom end. Take what I learned with this one and set it all up on a full aero time trial frame.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The pocketbike pipe I have on one of my bikes is a bit bigger than the one you listed here, I have that same pipe still in the box and havent but haven't tried it yet, main thing about that little black pipe is the small header pipe diameter, they do work fine for stock to moderate builds when good bottom end power to good midrange is wanted, so I don't think they're a bad choice when someone understands the limitations of the pipe and builds the engine accordingly.

sounds like you have some fun plans ahead LSR.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
I was hoping to weld in a larger leading cone and extend the center to make the pocket bike pipe work for a mid to low end street pipe. The YZ pipe is going to be completely cut up and welded back together to make different turns and fit in the tight spaces I need it too. Holding it up at different angles on the bike it looks like I can do it with out changing any of the volumes or overall shape of the pipe. Just cut sections out in slivers, bend and weld back in on the other side and I can keep it all there. Will post pics as I go. Finally got around to some detail work today while I'm waiting on parts.