Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Yeah, finding a buyer for my business isn't a problem Steve. Just yesterday another e-mail showed up in my in box from a guy here in the UK interested in taking over my range of O-scale narrow gauge kits. Had plenty more folks here and in the US expressing such interest over the last few years - but I never even bother replying. I just file their e-mails someplace safe. My website is still up and running and I never even bother responding to the order enquiries I receive 'cause I expect folks to read the info on my home page since 2015 which explains that caring for Jen had to be my priority and was the reason for suspending trading. Honestly can't be arsed to do anything now concerning trains. Lost all enthusiasm entirely - and that goes for just about everything else right now. Not hard to guess why. And my recent brush with Covid didn't help matters. I know I need to gee myself up.

You're right about the dwindling numbers of folks interested in the model railroad hobby. That was always the case during the last few decades. Older hobbyists dying off and ever fewer youngsters coming in. Those newbies that did were naturally more interested in more modern trains which were relevant to them. Add to the mix the fact that ever fewer model railroaders were interested in building kits and just wanted ready-to-run stuff. Computer age kids rarely if ever possess the kind of modelling skills our generation developed. I sold thousands of top quality etched brass kits during the 30 years I ran Backwoods Miniatures and I was very aware that less than 10% of them were ever assembled into a running model locomotive. I see pre-loved BM kits of mine every day for sale on eBay and they often sell for anywhere up to 3 x times their original selling price. Seems there's a stronger than ever market for my kits since I ceased trading.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
If you have stopped by to see what the thread is about or your a regular visitor wondering if the thread and I have died, no, we're both here but not very active. Old age and health have slowed things up more than usual. Now winter is here and it has been a nasty one here in the Vancouver area on the West Coast of Canada. At the moment it's 30F and snowy and heavily overcast with the next three days forecast to be cold and sunny. Then our usual rain will be back but the cold will linger and produce snow periods.

A brief brush with Covid made the arthritis far worse and when that joy was passed I had a flu shot that produced a round of flue that has lingered for a week and a half so far.

The build photos are on Photobucket and are at the moment a jumbled mess. I'll find a computer repair company to see if they can get them back and I can dump Photobucket.

Here are some photos of what it is and how it was made.

Steve.

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Steve, glad to hear you are still kicking. Last I knew you were trying to sort out your brother's collection to make working easier. I don't know what anybody is doing as email notifications have ceased.
Suppose I better get with management and see how it may be corrected.
This Winter crap is self explanatory. Take care and stay warm Buddy.

Tom

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Gas tanks. I made three at a time because the tank liner I used lined three tanks.

Second photo, is the tank bottom. Notched so it would bend easily.

Third photo, is the inside of the gas filler in the tank top. I cut a square of 1/4" steel and drilled it out 3/4" and soldered a piece of the 20 gauge auto body metal I used to make the tanks over it to hold it in place. The gas filler and cap are a brass garden hose connector to join two hoses together and a cap used to block the hose off so insects can't get into the hose if they are taken apart. Purchased at Home Depot in the plumbing section where the brass fittings are.

Fourth photo, is the end of the tank. Did the same thing as gas filler but with 1/4" fitting. Make sure they are threaded on both ends. When using tank liner insert a piece of metal into the outlet so it won't fill up with liner. When the liner has set up remove it. I left it in about an hour.

Fifth photo, I have a 110 spot welder and spot welded the end of the tank to the bottom of the tank and then spot welded them in. Before that I soldered them in and clamped the sides to the bottom with the clamps you see in the photos to hold them in place. Used silver solder and wash the solder flux out of the tank with lacquer thinner when your finished so the tank liner will bond to the metal.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Gas Tanks.

#1-Top soldered to sides. Clamps kept them in place while the top was being bent over the sides and while they was being soldered.

#2-Plumbers strap holding tank top to mould. I bent up both end of the strap so there was a gap in the center and put a small length of 1/4" all thread with nuts and washers so it could be tightened down. The top has a 3/8" over hang so it can be bent down over the sides.

#3-Sides hammer tight against sides.

#4-You can see how I clamped the Plumbers strapping down with the all-thread. A bolt will work.

#5- Parts before I put it together.

#5,6,7, I made a piece of plywood to mould the top over the sides. Slight taper to push the sides down gently and form the top to the sides as it's hammered on. I'll look to see if I have a photo of it. Measure the sides as they are bent down to make sure they are even.

#8,9,Finished tanks before they were lined.

Steve.

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The early Indians had an oil tank the drained down into the crank case The motors were total loss oiled. The oil went into the crankcase to lubricate the rods and bearings then drained out of the bottom of the crankcase. The small oil tank sat in front of the gas tank.

#1- The second gas tank I made. I had a hard time finding photos of original tri cars with clear views of parts of the tri car parts. Mostly taken from a long distance from the side. Then they auctioned off the last original Indian Tri Car long after I started with a lot of close up photos so I was able to correct a lot of mistakes I'd made. The tank being one of them. I refined them further from this.

The raised piece of tin is where I put the all-thread that held the oil tank on and held it and the gas tank to the bike.

#2-Tab that held the gas tank on at the rear of the tank.

#3-Original had the gas line go through the oil tank and the other outlet was for the oil.

#4-The all-thread that holds the oil tank to the gas tank and everything to the bike at the front.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
The gas tank installed and with the Indian transfer on the tank. I purchased the transfer from a company in the U.K. I'll place the information down below.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Enjoyed that photo-refresher of your TriCar Steve. Can't wait to see this rig hit the tarmac. If ever any project on this forum deserved to cross the finish line...
Maybe rest up over winter and get back to it with renewed enthusiasm come spring. At least that's what I'm telling myself at the moment. :)