How much metal can "safely" be removed from the front mount?

GoldenMotor.com

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
on my old bike i cut a notch in my frame instead and it worked.
but you should not grind or cut anything,you should get longer studs,they should have come with your kit,is the back studs longer,if yes swap them for the front ones.
if not go to the store,bring one of your studs with you and ask for a metric long stud rod the same size as yours but longer.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Can use bolts and cut the heads off. (easier to find) I forget the size and thread, but some one will know off the top of their head or just size at the hardware store. Part of the fun is making it all work and after all the hair pulling, you will be even that much prouder of your build!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Noob,
You can safely grind enough to make the saddle portion of the front mount fit your downtube. It won't take much and and the aluminum is easy to remove. If you have access to one, a Dremel Tool with a sanding drum works well. Work slow and check your fit often while grinding. You will be fine. As for longer fasteners there is no requirement for them to be studs with nuts. Allen head cap screws work beautifully and you'll find the size you need in a grade 8 bolt at Ace Hardware. I've attached a photo of my rear mount using the Allen head cap screws instead of studs. Sorry, I didn't measure them so I can't give you the proper lenghth but finding it isn't hard. Double nut a stud, screw it in until it bottoms out then measure the amount of thread in the block. Add enough to reach your clamp with a lock washer subtract about 1/4" and there's your length. Good luck, keep us informed.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
As for longer fasteners there is no requirement for them to be studs with nuts. Allen head cap screws work beautifully and you'll find the size you need in a grade 8 bolt at Ace Hardware. Good luck, keep us informed.
Tom
..and your just telling me this now Tom! LOL, Have 2 hex head bolts on the Honda, with the heads still on.

Kidding aside, thats a great and simple answer to the treaded rod/stud quest. Thanks.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
thats a great idea using bolts and leave the head on,easy to tighten and loosen and comes in diffrent lengths,i wish i knew that before my 2 builds.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Still might find them in the size lenght you need if? Then put a nut on the stud you need to make shorter . Then use a hacksaw after unthread the nut. Viola you'll have clean threads again. If it is a grade eight then the sharp corner of a file can help you will prob need a die. Anyway carefully cut if you have to with a hacksaw is do able.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I added a picture to my original post but it didn't show as an update. Just scroll back to link #4 for a pic of Allen head cap screws in place of studs. I also added some info on sizing the bolts.
Tom

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
but, seriously how much can be removed? my carb is nowhere close to fitting.. and my clutch arm is hitting the seat post(which could probably be cut off and re-drillled/dremal a slot in it..) too lazy/drunk to take pictures atm...

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
but, seriously how much can be removed? my carb is nowhere close to fitting.. and my clutch arm is hitting the seat post(which could probably be cut off and re-drillled/dremal a slot in it..) too lazy/drunk to take pictures atm...
You might need to tilt you motor to get the clutch arm to clear the seat post.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
we told you it would be a verytight fit and to use a diffrent bike.
try tilting the engine and take off the aircleaner,maybe a shortplug.
or if you have to you can mount the carb to the side using a 90% copper fitting.
if you take off too much and ruin your engine you will need a new engine and bike.
cheaper to get another bike and sell this one.

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
sigh, guess it's more pics time.. afk

pics..

And yeah Cabinfever thank you for trying to stop me.. but I'm a hardheaded sob..
learn the hard way or I don't learn at all I guess..

the intake is the main prob imo.. clutch arm can be straightend to make up for the lost leverage after cutting it shorter.. rear mount will probably be hack-sawed and filed down.. front might get a little grinder action.

very glad I got a slant head though.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Noob,
There is another issue that hasn't been mentioned. I see your bike has rear suspension. That is going to cause problems with trying to maintain drive chain tension. Unless you fabricate a spring type chain tensioner you'll be throwing the chain everytime your rear suspension flexes with bumps. Even with a spring tensioner you'll need to be careful. I'm sort of like you and hate to be told that I can't do something and tend to at least try to do it my way, but in this case I think you'll save yourself a lot of headaches and wasted time by selecting another bike for your project. Start with a simple 'V' frame bike that will allow an easy first time install, get familiar with your engine and the operation before you embark on a custom install that can be challenging even for seasoned builders. However, if you're set on this path and want to use that bike you need to be ready for some frustration. We'll be here to help all we can.
Tom

Last edited:

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
get another cheap bike,one with a large v-frame,go to yardsale,feamarket,walmart.
$20-99.you can use this bike for parts or sell it. the only way the engine will fit is if you cut the frame(its aluminum-dont do it) or if you mounted it on the rear.

Attachments

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
NOOB why didnt exchange the bike!!??!!!

believe me making a new intake tube will be a pain in the ass, ive done 3!!!!

so noob, change the bike

i can see that you can still tilt it upright a lot more....put the motor hear super near that top bar.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if you didnt scratch it too much,or use some green modeling enemal paint and touch up the scratches and try and return it to the store,if they see any scratches tell them it was there when you bought it,if its walmart they usually believe it.