OCC rear brake issues

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
Im pulling my hair out trying to keep these rear brakes on my OCC stingray from dragging. I just relaced my rim with 12 gauge spokes and the rim is true with no wobble but these worthless breaks keep rubbing.

Let me say this,I already know these brakes are useless but I still use them to help me slow down. I cant afford a disc conversion at this time so I have to get these working simi right.

Im noticing a return issue in the brake lever. when i pull the brakes,the lever only retracts back maybe 7/8ths of the way back in. I checked the cable for binding and its clear. I look at the pads and its like the are still clamped down to the rim,like the dont want to retract or "spring" back out. Also on further examination one of the arms for the brakes had bent up and out of alignment with the other one by 2 or 3 inches. so I bent the arm back in place readjusted the the whole set up in the rear and the same thing except the arm didn't bend out of place.

Do any of you have experience with breaking these types of brakes down and getting them to function right? there seems to be more to these brakes that i am not used to.

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
on the brakes there are a few different holes that the spring can be installed in to adjust the tension
underneath the brake arms? would it be worth my time to tear it all down and off of the frame or would i take a chance on screwing the alignment up even more? I pulled the pads off a while back and there was like 3 or 4 beveled washer/shims on each stud for the pads, i had a tough time trying to put back in the right order,im just expecting the rest of it to be as bad.

gooldhotrods

Apr 16, 2014
racine, wisconsin
you may be having a problem because you had it apart and got the spring in the wrong spot. the spring tension is to pull the brake arms away from the rim, you may not have enough tension to fully pull the pads away from the rim causing the drag. I had a similar problem with the pads dragging. I had to losen the cable so much to stop the drag that when the brag was applied it barely stopped the bike, I adjusted the spring tension and readjusted the cable and all was fine.