New Jug New Idea

GoldenMotor.com

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
What do you guys think or has anyone already done this? I got a new jug(again) and tried to avoid stripped threads by using locktite on the studs threaded into the jug. I think it was my own fault for not letting it sit and cure for a while before tearing through the neighborhood on it. A few laps in and I hear that "all too familiar sound" exhaust bolts loose and exhaust is leaking!

This time I mixed the JB WELD and q'tipped it into the jug holes and onto the new bolts threads...not studs cause I hate those anyway. Locked it down and it'll be sitting in this hot central TX garage of mine until Saturday afternoon. More than enough time to cure.

I also added some studded flair to my gas tank!! LOL

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm afraid you're going to regret gluing those exhaust fasteners into the cylinder. Some day, down the road, you're going to want to remove the exhaust system and then you'll see why I say that.

The pipe and muffler should be supported at a secondary location and not rely on just the two bolts/studs at the flange and cylinder to keep it from vibrating loose. That would help keep the fasteners tight. Also using a good gasket and making sure the flange is flat and fits flush against the cylinder mating surface. Almost without exception the exhaust flanges are warped from the welding process and do not sit flush against the cylinder and that results in fasteners loosening and gasket failure.
You can remedy that by sanding the flange against a flat surface to eliminate any high and low spots.

Good luck. (I fear you're going to need it)

Tom

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
2door

I never rely on just the exhaust flange to hold the exhaust on. It runs along the bottom of my bike from the jug and is bolted at the rear tire mount from a plate welded to the muffler.
I got some advice about mounting it so that there is some play allowed in the vibration. I don't regret JB WELDING but I do regret riding with 3 out of 4 engine bolts mounted on the engine mount post.
That engine is done unfortunately now I have spare parts for my next one. Although I haven't tried JB Welding the break...idea.