Lets build an electric starter for the China girl motorized bicycle .

GoldenMotor.com

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
hey guys my bikes good everything on it except for the reed valve .hey guys game on help designing an electric starter system for the bike? I no I'm going to have to put a small motorcycle battery on the rack but to incorporate some kind of a small starter motor and replace the pull starter something of a magneato I need help in design .there's plenty of room up front to mount a small electric motor on the front of the train a girl . but putting a gear on the crankshaft an appendix system is where I'm confused .I'm calling for the X for to design Crew help me !!!!!

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada
Re: Lets build an electric starter for the China girl .

i was thinking the same thing for awhile now. also been thinking about a type of kickstart. heres what i got.
if ur with the whole battery idea, USE the hardware from the pull start.
drill a hole in the center of the cover, get some type of boot on it.
about a 2 1/2" OD(1/2" thick) bearing IN the pullstart cover, tight to the outside.
select a bar that matchs the ID of the bearing, put a gear on the end of it to match up to ur starter. and the other end put on the tabs for the pullstart mechanism that is attached to the magneto.

that should work just fine :)
if ur unsure about the pullstart casing, might wanna make up something then thats a little bit stronger.

good luck

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

I like this idea. I'm going to order another HD pull starter and I have a spare engine that I could do a mock up on . So guess the next thing is research on a starter motor for 12 volt of course ,what's front face mounting bolts . Still open to suggestions guys anytime somebody else want to jump in.

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Mississauga Ontario Canada

tbh man I would offer advice but I dont have any experience with the pull start. I dont even have much experience with the china ht engines. All I can say is build that **** and post pics an i will tip my hat to you :)

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA

Hi guys,

Believe it or not , I think electric starting the Chinese 2 strokes can be done without adding a starter motor or using a separate drill !!

Let me give you a little background on this...

Recently I bought an older generator... A Winco SPE 4000 to be exact.

When I went to look at the generator, the owner said the generator can be electric started by adding a battery (it had the standard rope starter and I looked at the engine (a standard 8 hp Briggs), but I did not see a starter motor attached to the engine itself....so I asked the owner how this engine can be electric started without an electric starter?

The owner pointed to 2 leads coming from the generator itself and said by hooking a battery to the 2 leads, the generator in effect turns into a starter motor, thus electric starting the engine.....I had never seen anything quite like this.....The owner hooked up a battery to the generator, pushed the start button, and the engine whirred over and sprung to life....wow!

Anyways, I'm thinking, that since this is an older generator It must be brushed system as opposed to inductive system. By making a brushed system for our two-stroke engines (as in for generating power for our electrical accessories and for powering the CDI / providing timing.... I believe that our engines can be electric started like this older Briggs is electric started by using the generator portion as an electric starter motor.

Also, If I remember correctly, there are people online selling enhanced power magneto's for our two-stroke engines (I believe these allow a person to run 12 V accessories with greater amperage, whereas we are currently at 6 V and low wattage in stock form...I think they sell them on eBay)....

If we can devise a brushed version of this enhanced magneto I believe we can have a starter system like the older generator I recently bought.

Hope this helps....Maybe somebody out there can run with this....Electric start would be kinda neat.

Andrew

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

I see no point but then I am a diehard clutch man. Bumpstarting is good enough for me and weighs much less. :)

Legwon

Mar 2, 2013
Van bc Canada

I see no point but then I am a diehard clutch man. Bumpstarting is good enough for me and weighs much less. :)
bumpstart is fine, if u r able too.
im interested in this, due to the flipflop hub i have with a freewheel on the engine drive side. therefor, i will not have the option to bumpstart. i would need a pullstart(which is giving me a serious ulcer) or an electric start.

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.

running like Tricity in reverse through the magneato will not work it is a magneato not an armature with winding slike a motor that's ridiculous .but I knew when I started this thread I would bring out all the mad scientist .