NEW BUILD: Micargi Royal with Predator 212cc

GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
So, after couple months with my old lowrider and endless repairs and breakdowns due the low quality of the kit and engine itself - even with multiple customizations - I got a good offer and sold it.

It was pretty fun, but not reliable for what and how I was using it, plus the extreme heat here didn't help.

So after endless research and trying to make a decision between a 9hp high-rpm Morini or clone and a Torque Monster like the Predator 212cc, I finally decided to buy the Predator. I got a fair offer from buck0 with the mods I had to do anyways for the engine and bought it from him and with it lots of help and info on the engine (Thanks again David).

Finding the right frame was not very hard. I am pretty tall, I needed a thick steel frame for the big engine and also stretched it had to be - in the end my decision was the Micargi Royal, the bike I would have got anyways regardless of the engine. It will look somewhat like this:

I am planning some customization on the frame, maybe stretch it couple inches more and change the angle for the fork and getting fat tires and rims at least for the rear - although it already comes with 3" tires from factory.

I am going to post pics of the build here, not only for other people but also for myself to see how my plans will turn out.

I decided to use a jackshaft from AGK instead of a Converter and plan to drive it with a high ratio so I get a low rpm for cruising at 40-50 and high speed around 65mph - which I probably never need. I just want to be able to drive longer distances without reving the engine in the 6.000's.

So yesterday the engine came and it looks pretty massive, especially compared to the cute little China Junk engine. Quality is in another world only by looking at it from the outside - the main reason why I wanted this engine.

Here a pic after unpacking the engine and jackshaft that came at the same day:

So since the bike isn't here yet and a bunch of parts like throttle, tank, clutch and some sprockets for high ratio are still on the way or back order, I decided to go beyond cleaning the engine with WD40 and polish everything on it, worth getting polished :)

This is going to be a lot of attention, the lowrider already was, but this is a new level of everything. Im really exited.

The perfect beach cruiser with surfboard rack when it's done!

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
There is also a really rare Micargi Puma DELUXE - not GTS (I don't think they still build that one). That one have also a low frame and is a little longer, but I wasn't able to find it except for one place with insane shipping prices. But anyways, the Royal looks pretty good. I think its a perfect bike to be motorized. Here is a website with some more pics how it comes from factory:

http://www.bikebuyers.com/royal-photos.htm

Last edited:

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Nice selection of goods!
and that motor.........I raced David and that motor runs really strong! You got a great motor with low hours at a killer price.
I'm looking forward to seeing you bike finished and would love to see your expression the first time you go WOT!!! .wee.
Did you get a chance to see David's video?

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
In case you haven't seen the vides here they are
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41247

I'm really looking forward to this build, I was eyeing this bike before & curious how it'll be when it's complete.
Chris you should get the bike & the fuel pump this Friday.
Ill subscribe to this post so I can see this up to date status.
And thanks Ken and Chris for the nice words.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
@ Easy Rider

Yeah Im exited to have it running and WORKING. The worst part will be the welding and sprockets/chains I guess.

I have seen most of the videos but maybe I missed something.

@ David

Let me check the link if I missed a video.

Yeah I am hoping it comes tomorrow but its not in Catano yet. Did you take out the handlebar or you left it in there?

Really exited to build up that thing. Its going to take a couple weeks to get all the parts I really need. The details will take long as always.

BTW the screws for the jackshaft dont fit the engine. Its the wrong threat.

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
Ya I took the bars out and have them in my garage. If you changed your mind and want the bars I can send them to you.
I wonder if there might be a delay in the shipping because of Hurricane Sandy.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
That could be possible, I totally forgot about that. But the other stuff came 1 day early. Oh well.. I waited so long, one day more doesn't matter. Can you tell me what I need to get to get the cranks so fat out like on your bike?

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Today the bike came.

It looks simply amazing with the fat 3 inch tires and the stretched frame. I can barely reach the handlebars and I'm 6'4. I am using a straight bar right now, but still. Its perfect. I think I already have an idea how I fit the engine. It will look stunning with the engine. I just pushed it to the gas station to get air and without even sitting on it or engine on it people stop me already.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I am getting the first idea how to install the engine. I want to try to install it completely horizontal and all the way to the front and as low as possible (because on the other bike - on most bikes in general, engine AND driver is loaded on the rear wheel. I want to try to get the engine weight more to the fork) and move the pedals all the way to the back. I just took a ride as bicycle and its hard to reach the pedals so much in the front anyways.

This is going to be a ton of fun driving this!!!!!!

I am going to see how everything fits in Photoshop first. Good to have the digital tools to test some things before getting dirty :)

Last edited:

buck0

Apr 24, 2011
Orange County, Ca
The engine fits nice in there, definitely alot of room to work with. Hard to believe that you can barely reach the pedals being that your 6'4". Actually could be uncomfortable reaching for the bars and pedals if you were to try to ride it like a bicycle it's probably difficult.

Last edited:

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
@ david.

you are right, it IS uncomfortable as regular bike. my back hurt like **** after half hour. i cant imagine a regular sized person haha. right now with this handlebar i cant even ride normally without also stretching my hand to reach it. it is really really long and big the frame. i love it. i will get my other handlebars these days for cruiser but low ones, not the ones it came with.

@ jonny.

i was thinking the same haha but im sure the 212 is more than enough.

i did some calculation and it have a Power/weight ratio of 0.3 - 0.4 HP/kg. thats pretty amazing

Last edited:
Predator; Are you actually in SJ? I'm from (well not "from" but I live here) Guayama, I know a guy in Buchanan that is a mechanic and builds bikes... he might be able to help you out with some of the tricky stuff. PM me, and I'll give you my number, so we can chat... (your settings don't allow private messages to you).

Mac