need a headlight

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I have a Gru Bee Sky Hawk or likesuch and need a meaningful light to run off the mag. Where can I find one? An LED would probably work. I wonder if an LED backup light for a car would run on 6V or whatever it puts out ?

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
why not a battery led light
I bet even a cheap one will be brighter then a 6v

im using a 950 lumens led that looks about 1/2 as bright as a HID car headlight
it really helps being spotted during the day and at night its super bright

now if you can find a way to power a nice led light off that white wire then thats the best of both worlds
free power and brightness of led's

maybe run the wire into a battery charging circuit then power the leds off the battery

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
i bought a bullet style bicycle headlight for 7 bucks and im gonna put 3watt 200 lumen led inside it and run it from white wire

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
I freind of mine handed me a pair of 72 led crees with high an low beam that he had in his car an did not like , I just converted my head lamp an its more than adequate lighting .
Also I'm running my white wire through a full wave bridge rectifier to a 12 volt 7.5 amp hr bat that runs a full system of lights tail lights day running lights turn sigs an brake got my time between recharges up to about 3 hours which is significant from the 40 mins I used to have with a actual halogen bulb.(^)

SdCruizer

Feb 15, 2012
San Deigo
interesting, not sure how bright 150 lumens is during the day, or at what angle would give the most light for safety reasons
But you can already get free power from the spinning magnet in the engine already enough to power a led if you have a way to reduce the voltage

but right now $130 to $199 can get you a ton of batteries and a cheapo light about the same size and probably the same output

give it 10 years I bet everything will have something like that

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
hhmmm i wonder why my cree led burned out? i ran it straight from the white wire and it burned for maby 5 seconds then it just died and i think it didn burn out because too much voltage. i have potentiometer so i can adjust the voltage what is going to the led.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
oh yeah the leds cost about 8 bucks and this is my second cree what i have destroyed in 2 days (first was just my mistake when i tryied how bright it is at the max). i have still one of thies crees and i dont want to destroy it

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
You need to find the output voltage from the engine, find out what voltage the LED works at and put a resistor in line to the + side (long leg on the bulb) of the LED, LEDs don't tolerate over voltage at all, your 5 seconds is a good example. Once you've done this a potentiometer should allow you to dim it but why you would want to do that is a mystery to me, standard life of a LED is around 10,000 hours.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
hmm i have the pot in the negative side of the led could that burn it out, i have less powerful 1 watt led that i ran with the pot in negative side and it didnt burn out. i have voltage regulator that works with 12v and you can select the out put 1.5/3/5/9 or 12v 1a max maby i use that but i need some case for the regulator.

Ted

Apr 20, 2010
Leavenworth Wa.
You have to know at what voltage the LED works at, I doubt it's 12 volt, more than likely it's 3 volts and that's why you have to have a ristor inline with the + side that will restrict the output to that voltage.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I tried using a cree R2, which is good for up to 7v's, and although it worked, it pulsed instead of that even, steady light. I'm guessing that the cree needs dc current and not ac. Since I took apart a cree flashlight to set it into my bullet headlight, I just used the flashlight shell to hold my batteries to run it, so that's what I'm using until I can figure out how to do it differently.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
So let me get this straight. I just add a diode to each of the positive and negative wires? I saw one of those things with 4 pins.....think it was a rectifier, but if that's all I need to do, then that'd be great.