I think Florida will be the proving ground for gas motorized bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
Re: I think Florida will be the proving ground for gas MBs

Isn't that what I've been saying for a few years now?

Although a response from the sherrif's office from and to themselves is not necessarily a matter of law...
The ONLY way to get the law is to send that question (has to be from the sherrif's office TO THE AG's OFFICE) and get an "official opinion"!

i.e. Someone residing in Okaloosa county should call the sheriffs office and ask them to ask the opinion from the state AG's office... The AG is for the entire state and whatever the AG says, goes for the ENTIRE STATE and can NOT be conflicted with by any county or municipality codes.

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

File corrupted and I can't read it.

Why Florida??? Alabama is where it's at for MB's. Probably the less restrictive states in the nation. Can't see how it could be better.

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl

pdf works fine for me. downloaded 2x. i use firefox & xfce linux.

the pdf pretty much says the same thing we have been discussing.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL

There is no reason to think that ANY state ruling will cause a nation wide ruling/law about out bikes.

That county mountie's last sentence was interesting:
Operators of motorized
bicycles do not need a valid driver’s license and are not required to
register them in order to operate them on public roadways.

If that was his true belief why was he and his deputies pulling over people on their bikes?

Terry

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Motorized bicycles in that particular statements was concerning ELECTRIC motors, not gas.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

There is no reason to think that ANY state ruling will cause a nation wide ruling/law about out bikes.
Of course that is right in the strict sense that one state's ruling will not change another state's but my comments were based on some observations:

I've signed up for several refined search query alerts off the web on MBs and the law, 70 to 80% of the alerts I receive are coming out of FL. It's a state one can ride year round so it's natural for there to be high interest there. State legislatures tend to be lazy bodies of law makers and I think will often jump to borrow whatevers easy if and when they feel a need in their home state.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho

The thing is - motorized bicycles aren't in the law in Florida. There should even be community organizations out there that will help you propose a bill to your state's legislature. Heck - contact some retired state representatives and try to get some help with the legal language of it all!

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

Not to miss the point. Where I live there is a well defined motorized bike/moped law and it's user friendly to MBs. It was even made more defined just in July 2009 by adding a third category of 2 wheeled vehicles, IE: MCs, scooters, mopeds/MBs. However I doubt it will become a reference for states where gray areas in MB law presently exists. That will come and be proved out in a state where motored biking is popular and any gray area issues are ironed out.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

Bill would change electric bike status to consumer goods | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

And Ron Paul says he wants govt off our backs ?

He is the only one to not vote for it ?

Keep in mind Florida has a tea party gov now and the rep tea party is not pro bicycle freedom. :(

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs039/1101420965762/archive/1106635886717.html

http://gainesvilleteaparty.org/uncategorized/the-great-gainesville-bicycle-vs-car-challenge/

http://www.ozeanconsulting.com/blog/2011/07/what-this-cyclist-learned-from-the-car-v-bike-challenge/

If he could have used a small gas motor it would have been a whole different deal ! :)

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida

Bill would change electric bike status to consumer goods | Amarillo.com | Amarillo Globe-News

And Ron Paul says he wants govt off our backs ?

He is the only one to not vote for it ?

Keep in mind Florida has a tea party gov now and the rep tea party is not pro bicycle freedom. :(

eNews Update 07-12-11 - The ACREC's Bicycle vs. Car Challenge

Been a while since I posted here .....took me two years before I was finally pulled for non-registration ....took it to court ....got laughed at by the judge
cost me $ 104.00 plus court costs ......however ....the cop that pulled me LOVED the bike ....told me he fully understood why I built the thing and agreed that the Florida law is f'D up ........i.e ....100+ mpg ? ......he actually took a few cam phone snaps ....why is an electric bike legal yet a gas isn't ? ....I'm not understanding this ....Are they worried we might be potential terrorists?....this is Florida .....not Iraq ....living in a college town
( Gainesville ) ......a motorized bike just makes so much more sense .... I no longer care .....I've not a whole lot of time left in my life .....they can pry it from my cold dead body ....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Been a while since I posted here .....took me two years before I was finally pulled for non-registration ....took it to court ....got laughed at by the judge
cost me $ 104.00 plus court costs ......however ....the cop that pulled me LOVED the bike ....told me he fully understood why I built the thing and agreed that the Florida law is f'D up ........i.e ....100+ mpg ? ......he actually took a few cam phone snaps ....why is an electric bike legal yet a gas isn't ? ....I'm not understanding this ....Are they worried we might be potential terrorists?....this is Florida .....not Iraq ....living in a college town
( Gainesville ) ......a motorized bike just makes so much more sense .... I no longer care .....I've not a whole lot of time left in my life .....they can pry it from my cold dead body ....

Thanks,
Salty.shft.
So what exactly happened? What was the exact ticket you had to pay? Do you have a license? Did they say you could still ride it?

Inquiring minds want to know..

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

So what exactly happened? What was the exact ticket you had to pay? Do you have a license? Did they say you could still ride it?

Inquiring minds want to know..
Hi Sang and All,

Quick FL Summary: (this may NOT be NEW news btw)
a. DL NOT Required (there are prior case precedents set)
b. Gas MB Issue on public roads is STILL an issue
(A letter to the FL AG - Pam Bondi is being drafted as we speak to address this)
c. From the last few years, I dont know of any gas MBer who was found guilty of riding a gas MB on public roads. (If anyone knows of someone, please share the details with me/ the forum.)

Jeff A. has started/ continued his discussions with the powers that be.

Any thoughts by the Gas MB Community on what to include in the letter should be helpful, and would be appreciated.

As you said Sang, the AG Opinion letter would be the best thing to have next to the laws being changed.

:)

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan

why is the bill only concerned with electric & not gas? Because Zapworld (the electric vehicle co behind this legislation) wants to push their vehicles to the front of the "alternative transportation" discussion. If they bring gasbikes into the discussion, they'll risk losing business to the gasbike fans.
Basically, they're trying to:
1) make sure everyone knows they're here to save the world & sell LEGAL alternative vehicles (free advertising on the nightly news).
2) push gasbikes into the background, reducing their sales & DIY construction by causing a social stigma against them (since their legality is still debatable).

Business & politics as usual.
If you're in the gasbike business in Florida, now's the time to start thinking about forming your own alliance, media push, or PR campaign.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth

Works, there are no definitive cases regarding not needing a DL..
Show me one please, with definitive proof.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida

why is the bill only concerned with electric & not gas? Because Zapworld (the electric vehicle co behind this legislation) wants to push their vehicles to the front of the "alternative transportation" discussion. If they bring gasbikes into the discussion, they'll risk losing business to the gasbike fans.
1) make sure everyone knows they're here to save the world & sell LEGAL alternative vehicles (free advertising on the nightly news).
2) push gasbikes into the background, reducing their sales & DIY construction by causing a social stigma against them (since their legality is still debatable).

If you're in the gasbike business in Florida, now's the time to start thinking about forming your own alliance, media push, or PR campaign.
It was reps and tea party that wanted to prove bicycles are not good "alternative transportation" .

Put a gas motor on a trike or bike and prove them wrong ! :)

Can't though, they are not legal on the street ! :(

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs039/1101420965762/archive/1106635886717.html

Last edited:

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl

this is what i have been thinking about.
the "WHY" of the laws being changed to the benefit of electric.

can you point me to more info on how zapworld is involved?

i was thinking the laws were changed because they are trying to stop the promotion of moto/bike dealers pushing the bikes for people with DUI's.
another reason i was thinking was that the tax collector said some mopeds can't be reregistered. possibly for safety reasons.

~~prepost edit
it looks as zapworld has spent 20k or less in lobbying.
i think it was primary in CA.
also when searching i see regular bike forums going over the DMV laws the same way we are but to keep us off of their bike paths.

this is much bigger than us.
we need to get in touch with some bike groups.
we might have to make some concessions to get what we want.

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley

also when searching i see regular bike forums going over the DMV laws the same way we are but to keep us off of their bike paths.

this is much bigger than us.
we need to get in touch with some bike groups.
we might have to make some concessions to get what we want.
I have always dissuaded folks from riding gasbikes on bicycle paths, particularly noisy, smoky china 2 stroke bikes. If everyone could use their brain and just pedal the paths between connectors that would be one thing but I'm sure that's too much to ask.

I think I could agree with your thought about bike groups if you meant building some solidarity but that too seems too much to ask among many motored bikers. I've always thought it ridiculous the way the other cyclists get put down here, calling road cyclists the "spandex crowd" is just fat guy code for making being out of shape okay. I was never threatened nor almost run over by any roadie cyclist, unlike people in cars or trucks. They are real enemy of ALL two wheelers.