Motorized Pusher Trailers in UK - Legal or not?

GoldenMotor.com

jonleedsuk

Aug 20, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi folks!

I am totally new to this and while I know that its illegal to ride motorized bicycles on UK's roads / footpaths etc I dont know what the situation is regarding a motorized pusher trailer. I have heard somewhere that this might be a bit of a legal loophole as it isnt strictly part of the bike frame or attached to the wheels you are riding. Can anyone clarify this as I would very much like to exploit this loophole if possible as I'd like to create a dual purpose motorized pusher / cargo carrying trailer that I could use to ride up to the Yorkshire Dales (about 40 miles away from me). It would be great to have something that would take the strain out of getting into the wilds while letting me carry my camping gear / food / beer etc on as well without weighing me down. What is the score folks? Please help ASAP! Also where can I find any plans for such a trailer? Or do I have to invent my own?

Cheers!

Johnny

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
If the push trailer is providing the propulsion to the bicycle, I would take a guess and say that it's probably not legal either..
In most areas a trailer would need to be registered/tagged if it was motorized.
Now in terms of gas or electric, I would have no clue.
I would just google pusher trailer bicycle UK and see what comes up

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
All petrol engines in the uk have to be taxed, insured, tested m.o.t ect regardless of size. hence i will be jacking it in and going illegal electric.