Tampa FL news story: Legal Limbo?

GoldenMotor.com

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Problem is if you get a ticket of some kind the cc is going to be part of your defense if its 50cc or less and the judge will want proof of this. Judges hate being lied to. Perjury is a serious crime.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I guess I could have a locale professor of mathematics measure it and make a statement on the university letter head. Have his signature notarized also. That should do it.

Terry

buhz

Mar 16, 2011
clearwater fl.
I went on trial for driving with a expired licence ccs never came up.just could I operate this ferrous frankenstein on public roads without a licence. the state tried hard but in the end judge found it to be a gray area NOT GUILTY.remember the burdon of proof is on the state,if asked the how many cc and you know you are over then I guess give it a bill clinton twist.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
The head DMV office in Tallahassee stand by this document.

Got it from the dmv and its signed by a DMV notary and tax collector. Use it and you'll be fine. This is what i showed to the state attourney at my trial and the ticket/charges were dropped and was free to go without payin' a $.
James you da man.

I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone is trying to pass a law in FL for motor bicycles when they're already legal.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I went on trial for driving with a expired licence ccs never came up.just could I operate this ferrous frankenstein on public roads without a licence. the state tried hard but in the end judge found it to be a gray area NOT GUILTY.remember the burdon of proof is on the state,if asked the how many cc and you know you are over then I guess give it a bill clinton twist.
buhz, you da man too.

MB,s legal in FL because they're not self propelled, therefore not a motor vehicle, therefore don't need a license.

I agree with SANGESF for once. Any law crafted for MBs will cost you, or give you less freedom than you have now.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
You should hear this guy "Gene" on another site...
He's got this "holier than thou" attitude talking about how he got his registered as a Moped.. (when the DMV WAS allowing people to register them as mopeds).. And telling everyone without a license that their just losers and should just "fix their licensing issues" and stop trying to get away with "illegal riding"...

YET..

1.) His looks like a moped/motorcycle.
2.) His engine size is definitely over 49cc.
3.) His bike is capable of 35mph+

#'s 2 and 3 are DEFINITELY "illegal" for "our class" of vehicles.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
buhz, you da man too.

MB,s legal in FL because they're not self propelled, therefore not a motor vehicle, therefore don't need a license.

I agree with SANGESF for once. Any law crafted for MBs will cost you, or give you less freedom than you have now.
That's IF the law that's created turns them into mopeds..
IF the law is changed to a BICYCLE, with ANY kind of motor that is governed to 20 or 25mph.. THEN it would stop all the harassment that law enforcement is still attempting to this day (with the grey area in the law).

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
there is no law in fl ,thats why I was found not guilty but the harassment must stop!
The harassment will stop very soon now that a few of you brave souls have blazed a path through the traffic courts. More people will be encouraged to stand up to the man now.

If the local authorities don't back off soon someone will get rich off a civil rights violation lawsuit. Trust me, there's shysters out there salivating at the thought, and will be more than willing to take a case like that on contingency.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Last week, i tried using my scanner to scan the document i posted in my earlier post, and what happens, my scanner is broken. lol I'm fixin' it tonite. Then it'll be a pdf for ya! Yall are all welcome. If you are pulled over, be polite, make sure u have this document. If they still give u a ticket, go to court and show this to the state attourney, public defender, your lawyer, and unless you broke some other non related law, they'll let ya go! Getting a law passed helps, but it can also harm us if the gov'nor doesn't agree with us.... It is possible that it can backfire on us....

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Last week, i tried using my scanner to scan the document i posted in my earlier post, and what happens, my scanner is broken. lol I'm fixin' it tonite. Then it'll be a pdf for ya! Yall are all welcome. If you are pulled over, be polite, make sure u have this document. If they still give u a ticket, go to court and show this to the state attourney, public defender, your lawyer, and unless you broke some other non related law, they'll let ya go! Getting a law passed helps, but it can also harm us if the gov'nor doesn't agree with us.... It is possible that it can backfire on us....
I agree. Right now no law covering gas MBs is as good as it gets. Any law by definition would limit your rights from what they are now.

Now would be a good time to organize though, because you know this won't last forever. The stronger in numbers the more leverage you'll have when the time comes.

sailorhuete

Oct 31, 2011
Jacksonville
In Jacksonville lots of people ride bikes with engines. I have spoken with the sheriffs department and an on duty police officer and they said bikes with engines are fine. Both promptly then asked if the engine was under 50cc. To register a moped in Florida you don't need a title but you need this form.

View attachment Misc Affidavit.pdf

It has to get notarized, I know that the UPS store will.

http://www3.flhsmv.gov/dmv/Proc/RS/RS-61.pdf

Florida DHSMV - FAQs on Getting a Hassle Free Title

A certificate of title is the proof of ownership to a motor vehicle in the state of Florida. Most vehicles are required to be titled. The exceptions are mopeds, motorized bicycles, and trailers weighing less than 2,000 pounds.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Sry, yall. I removed the link cuz somehow, its pixelated and isn't readable. I hate scanners. lol

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Oh, if u bought it from a store u would have a invoice/reciept. If you bought it from someone else, then u have no proof. Cuz these china dolls all look the same. Only difference is the jug(cylinder) and all thats within it.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Nobody needs a receipt for a gas powered MB. There's no law, remember. It doesn't matter how big the motor is. All that matters is it's not self propelled.