Illinois resisdents please enter

GoldenMotor.com

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
20MPH and the top speed of these bikes is not that far apart, so he would have to pace you at WOT after you're up to speed. If you're going WOT with a cop behind you and you know the speed for you is 20MPH good luck too yah. Other than that you would have to get surprised at WOT by a speed trap. Really, just drive right and you should be within the law pretty much, if you are outside the law (speed wise) it's not gonna be by much, and likely within the margin of error of any non electronic speed detection method, which you could argue in court if it came to that....
And if he was pacing you, that would be on the dash cam too..
(Trust me, ALL cop cars have dash cams now).
He would have to follow you for more than a second or two and also would have to be on level ground, if it was a long downhill, you could always contest that gravity pushed you faster than 20.. ;)

Seriously, if you're going over 20mph, YOU ARE breaking the law.. Don't do it..

Be THANKFUL that Illinois has a no DL required for gas bikes (under 20) actually ON the books.. A good amount of states don't and some are still in a grey area. (Like here in Florida.)

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Here is the one that states a vehicle that requires registration requires insurance to be legal ran on a road. I'll look up the one's that spiderweb into you needing to plate anything with a motor on it that goes down the road after I've had some sleep and gotten through classes tomorrow.

(625 ILCS 5/7‑601) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 7‑601)
Sec. 7‑601. Required liability insurance policy.
(a) No person shall operate, register or maintain registration of, and no owner shall permit another person to operate, register or maintain registration of, a motor vehicle designed to be used on a public highway unless the motor vehicle is covered by a liability insurance policy.
The insurance policy shall be issued in amounts no less than the minimum amounts set for bodily injury or death and for destruction of property under Section 7‑203 of this Code, and shall be issued in accordance with the requirements of Sections 143a and 143a‑2 of the Illinois Insurance Code, as amended. No insurer other than an insurer authorized to do business in this State shall issue a policy pursuant to this Section for any vehicle subject to registration under this Code. Nothing herein shall deprive an insurer of any policy defense available at common law.
(b) The following vehicles are exempt from the requirements of this Section:
(1) vehicles subject to the provisions of Chapters 8

or 18a, Article III or Section 7‑609 of Chapter 7, or Sections 12‑606 or 12‑707.01 of Chapter 12 of this Code;
(2) vehicles required to file proof of liability

insurance with the Illinois Commerce Commission;
(3) vehicles covered by a certificate of

self‑insurance under Section 7‑502 of this Code;
(4) vehicles owned by the United States, the State

of Illinois, or any political subdivision, municipality or local mass transit district;
(5) implements of husbandry;
(6) other vehicles complying with laws which require

them to be insured in amounts meeting or exceeding the minimum amounts required under this Section; and
(7) inoperable or stored vehicles that are not

operated, as defined by rules and regulations of the Secretary.

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
And if he was pacing you, that would be on the dash cam too..
(Trust me, ALL cop cars have dash cams now).
He would have to follow you for more than a second or two and also would have to be on level ground, if it was a long downhill, you could always contest that gravity pushed you faster than 20.. ;)

Seriously, if you're going over 20mph, YOU ARE breaking the law.. Don't do it..

Be THANKFUL that Illinois has a no DL required for gas bikes (under 20) actually ON the books.. A good amount of states don't and some are still in a grey area. (Like here in Florida.)
Not all cop cars have dash cams. My friend has 6 cars in his command and only 2 dash cams, oh and he has his own unmarked car also with no cam. Dash cams are expensive and need to be justified on the budget and a town of 1,300 people cannot justify spending that kind of money on something that will rarely be needed.

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
My buddy comes through, here is the requirement that any MOTOR VEHICLE must be registered. Registering as we all know means you gotta put the plates they send you on the vehicle(I can find that part too if need be).

(625 ILCS 5/3‑402) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3‑402)
Sec. 3‑402. Vehicles subject to registration; exceptions.
A. Exemptions and Policy. Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer when driven or moved upon a highway shall be subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions of this Chapter except:
(1) Any such vehicle driven or moved upon a highway

in conformance with the provisions of this Chapter relating to manufacturers, transporters, dealers, lienholders or nonresidents or under a temporary registration permit issued by the Secretary of State;
(2) Any implement of husbandry whether of a type

otherwise subject to registration hereunder or not which is only incidentally operated or moved upon a highway, which shall include a not‑for‑hire movement for the purpose of delivering farm commodities to a place of first processing or sale, or to a place of storage;
(3) Any special mobile equipment as herein defined;
(4) Any vehicle which is propelled exclusively by

electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires though not operated upon rails;
(5) Any vehicle which is equipped and used

exclusively as a pumper, ladder truck, rescue vehicle, searchlight truck, or other fire apparatus, but not a vehicle of a type which would otherwise be subject to registration as a vehicle of the first division;
(6) Any vehicle which is owned and operated by the

federal government and externally displays evidence of federal ownership. It is the policy of the State of Illinois to promote and encourage the fullest use of its highways and to enhance the flow of commerce thus contributing to the economic, agricultural, industrial and social growth and development of this State, by authorizing the Secretary of State to negotiate and enter into reciprocal or proportional agreements or arrangements with other States, or to issue declarations setting forth reciprocal exemptions, benefits and privileges with respect to vehicles operated interstate which are properly registered in this and other States, assuring nevertheless proper registration of vehicles in Illinois as may be required by this Code;
(7) Any converter dolly or tow dolly which merely

serves as substitute wheels for another legally licensed vehicle. A title may be issued on a voluntary basis to a tow dolly upon receipt of the manufacturer's certificate of origin or the bill of sale;
(8) Any house trailer found to be an abandoned

mobile home under the Abandoned Mobile Home Act;
(9) Any vehicle that is not properly registered or

does not have registration plates issued to the owner or operator affixed thereto, or that does have registration plates issued to the owner or operator affixed thereto but the plates are not appropriate for the weight of the vehicle, provided that this exemption shall apply only while the vehicle is being transported or operated by a towing service and has a third tow plate affixed to it.

Yup you have to title a "custom/specially constructed" vehicle also.

(625 ILCS 5/3‑406) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3‑406)
Sec. 3‑406. Application for specially constructed, reconstructed, custom, street rod, or foreign vehicles.
(a) In the event the vehicle to be registered is a specially constructed, reconstructed or foreign vehicle, such fact shall be stated in the application and with reference to every foreign vehicle which has been registered heretofore outside of this State the owner shall surrender to the Secretary of State all registration plates, registration cards or other evidence of such foreign registration as may be in his possession or under his control except as provided in subdivision (b) hereof.
(b) Where in the course of interstate operation of a vehicle registered in another State, it is desirable to retain registration of said vehicle in such other State, such applicant need not surrender but shall submit for inspection said evidences of such foreign registration and the Secretary of State upon a proper showing shall register said vehicle in this State but shall not issue a certificate of title for such vehicle.
(c) In the event the applicant seeks to have the vehicle registered as a custom vehicle or street rod, that fact must be stated in the application. Prior to registration, custom vehicles or street rods must be inspected by the Secretary of State Department of Police. Upon successful completion of the inspection, the vehicle may be registered in the following manner. The make of the vehicle shall be listed as the make of the actual vehicle or the make it is designed to resemble (e.g., Ford or Chevrolet); the model of the vehicle shall be listed as custom vehicle or street rod; and the year of the vehicle shall be listed as the year the actual vehicle was manufactured or the year it is designed to resemble.
(Source: P.A. 96‑487, eff. 1‑1‑10.)

Any more questions? Again just trying to help here.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
My buddy comes through, here is the requirement that any MOTOR VEHICLE must be registered Yup you have to title a "custom/specially constructed" vehicle also.
(625 ILCS 5/3‑406) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 3‑406)
Sec. 3‑406. Application for specially constructed, reconstructed, custom, street rod, or foreign vehicles.
(a) In the event the vehicle to be registered is a specially constructed, reconstructed or foreign vehicle....

READ IT THERE, the LAWS OF BICYCLES APPLY to GAS BICYCLES, not motor vehicles.

Last edited:

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
That was what I was going to say..
PLUS..

Let me rephrase..

Any NON-"Po-Dunk"(sp?) town's cop cars USUALLY have a dash cam in most, if not all, them...

My hometown originally had about 3,000 residents and EVERY cop car had dash cams and that was only 10 years ago... Lol

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Okay man not gonna try and force feed you something. The info is there for anyone to read. I'm not a lawyer I'm a mechanical engineer in training.
However thanks to my new found English skills(not required to take a lot but some helps.) the line, "(d) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply to low-speed electric bicycles and low-speed gas bicycles." to me would read, if you have a low speed electric/gas bike(I'm assuming for the moment this means the 20 MPH exception already discussed) that it the rules here apply and ALSO the rules for regular bicycles(lights/reflectors/riding single file never 2 abreast/riding as far to the right as safely possible/motorists required to give 3 feet of room when passing) not the way you're reading it that since the rules I posted apply and also the rules for bikes apply that only the rules for bikes apply.

(625 ILCS 5/11‑1516) only lists a few exceptions to the normal rules for a motorized vehicle, none of those exemptions are for the codes that require it to be registered and insured if operated on a road. The way an exemption for a law works is all other rules still apply except the ones that are explicitly said to be exempted, which in this case is:

(a) A person may operate a low‑speed electric bicycle or low‑speed gas bicycle only if the person is at least 16 years of age.(re-reading this this doesn't exempt you from needing a valid drivers license but then again a M class endorsement requires you to be 18 years of age)
(b) A person may not operate a low‑speed electric bicycle or low‑speed gas bicycle at a speed greater than 20 miles per hour upon any highway, street, or roadway.(this is what defines when the law applies, only if you're going less than 20, might get a jerk cop that tickets you cause it CAN do more than 20 but like you said he'd have to prove it)
c) A person may not operate a low‑speed electric bicycle or low‑speed gas bicycle on a sidewalk.(thrown in here because it's legal to drive a bike on a sidewalk in Illinois though some cities have stricter ordinances.)
(d) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply to low‑speed electric bicycles and low‑speed gas bicycles. (reads that except for a, b, and c above all normal bicycle laws apply but doesn't mean no other laws apply.)

Honestly the way I'm seeing the law sounds reasonable to me. If there is no regulations on something then we're gonna see people getting hurt or hurting other people and eventually the government will just get rid of MB's to get rid of the problem.
Most people wouldn't think about it(it's the engineer in me) but my 250 Lbs plus say 30 for the bike traveling at 30MPH has the same force as a 4000 Lbs car hitting something at 6.2 MPH. Would you want to be hit by a small truck doing 6.2 MPH?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Okay man not gonna try and force feed you something. The info is there for anyone to read. I'm not a lawyer I'm a mechanical engineer in training.
However thanks to my new found English skills(not required to take a lot but some helps.) the line, "(d) Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply....
Look, if you were right MB's wouldn't be street legal without turn signals, brake lights, plates, insurance, etc, etc, this is clearly not the case. The laws of BICYCLES apply to MB's, you dont need a DL to ride a bike, nor insurance or any of the other stuff, neither do you on an MB. You do need to have a headlight to ride a bicycle or MB at night, for instance, but not a brake light. You are subject to any law that applies to bicycles on an MB, as it states there in the law.

Last edited:

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Look, if you were right MB's wouldn't be street legal without turn signals, brake lights, plates, insurance, etc, etc, this is clearly not the case. The laws of BICYCLES apply to MB's, you dont need a DL to ride a bike, nor insurance or any of the other stuff, neither do you on an MB. You do need to have a headlight to ride a bicycle or MB at night, for instance, but not a brake light. You are subject to any law that applies to bicycles on an MB, as it states there in the law.
What part of "also" do you not understand? It doesn't mean only.

Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply to low‑speed electric bicycles and low‑speed gas bicycles.

Does not mean:

Except as otherwise provided in this Section, only the provisions of this Article XV apply to low‑speed electric bicycles and low‑speed gas bicycles.

Am I getting through yet?

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
What part of "also" do you not understand? It doesn't mean only.

Except as otherwise provided in this Section, the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles also apply to low‑speed electric bicycles and low‑speed gas bicycles.

Does not mean:

Except as otherwise provided in this Section, only the provisions of this Article XV that apply to bicycles apply to low‑speed electric bicycles and low‑speed gas bicycles.

Am I getting through yet?
A MB is still considered a bicycle as defined by that law, so no such exemption is required.

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
No, it is not. But I'm done beating a dead horse. I think there is already too much repetition in this post for people to be able to understand half of what was said. If anyone reading this is still confused just call a traffic lawyer for a free consultation or possibly call a state cop or the secretary of state. In the spring I'll be going to the DMV to register my MB and get it plated, will post pics then.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
No, it is not. But I'm done beating a dead horse. I think there is already too much repetition in this post for people to be able to understand half of what was said. If anyone reading this is still confused just call a traffic lawyer for a free consultation or possibly call a state cop or the secretary of state. In the spring I'll be going to the DMV to register my MB and get it plated, will post pics then.
Hats off to ya. I would assume after plating, insuring, getting signals and all you should be able to go as fast as the law allows any vehicle? Or do you still have to go 20MPH??? hmmmmm.....

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
Finally found something that may clear things up for anyone who has made it this far.

Frequently Asked Questions

Titles

How do I apply for license plates?
You must submit a copy of the Illinois Certificate of Title for the vehicle in your name along with a completed Application for Vehicle Transaction(s) (VSD 190) to the Secretary of State. The fee is determined by license plate category or by the weight of the vehicle. Submit documents to:
Secretary of State
Vehicle Records Processing Division
501 S. 2nd. St., Room 424
Springfield, IL 62756-6666
Or go to your nearest Secretary of State facility.

What type of vehicle must be titled and registered?
Off-road motorcycles and ATVs are titled but are not registered.

Pop-up campers and all other kinds of campers that are pulled behind a vehicle are both titled and registered. Slide-in campers or pop-up campers that are affixed to the vehicle or part of the vehicle are neither titled or registered. Anything that is driven (cars, trucks, RV's, motorcycles, mopeds, motorized bicycles) or anything that is pulled (RT's, pop-ups, 5th wheels, trailers of all kinds and sizes) on the roads is titled and licensed.

Snowmobiles, jet-skis, boats less than 16 feet, and boats over 16 feet are handled by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. They can be contacted at (217) 782-2138.

So right from the DMV website, a motorized bike must be titled and registered(registered means plates/annual fee.)

Mandatory Insurance

scroll down to the bottom it reads

"Vehicles Affected Liability insurance is required for all motor vehicles that must display license plates and are being driven, including cars, vans, motorcycles, recreational vehicles, trucks and buses. Trailers are not required to have liability insurance."

which means if you slap a motor on your bike, you must have a title, plate, and insurance. I didn't read anything in the 20MPH exception that said jack squat about being exempt for these laws so play it safe guys. Get a title get a plate and get insurance.

P.S. I have turn signals and brake lights on my MB

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Finally found something that may clear things up for anyone who has made it this far............
P.S. I have turn signals and brake lights on my MB
You're pretty intense man!
I guess that all make you super legal, I'm happy with regular legal... (^)

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
you're not legal at all. and if i recall you said the cops in your town are d-bags, I'd get your bike legal if I were you. But I'm not so do what ya want man.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
you're not legal at all. and if i recall you said the cops in your town are d-bags, I'd get your bike legal if I were you. But I'm not so do what ya want man.
Actually, I said the problem in the video was alcohol, and MB's, DUI's and cops dont go together, basically. I don't drink and drive so that's not an issue for me. I don't think I said cops in my town are d-bags, in fact I think I said I have rode respectfully within the law and never been hassled. I also explained why the cops probably towed the MB in the video, cause of the gas tank, so I have been more than respectful toward law enforcement, almost even defending them...
I find it funny you would try to put that kinda statement on me when my comments were so contrary....

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
My bad it was RGZWS6 who had the awkward run in.
After all this back and fourth, plate or no plate, don't you think cops should be spending their time doing something more important than checking if MB's have plates or not? I mean, the convenient store on the corner got robbed at gun point at 8:30 PM last Thursday in my neighborhood...