Is a vin number required for the engine and or bicycle once motorized?

GoldenMotor.com

jeanbelmont

Jun 2, 2011
toronto
Hi everyone
I would like to know if anyone has an idea whether we need to make a VIN number for the bicycle, or wether the engine should have a VIN number on it?
I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada,

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I guess it would depend on your locale laws. The bike frame should have a serial number on it. So that number could be used as a VIN number I guess. Not sure if the motor has one.

Terry

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
Hey JeanBelmont! I have some news for you, that might help. I had my bike registered, and liecensed here in minnsota as a motorcycle (being that its a 80/66cc) lol!. The 1st thing you have to do,is have the bike inspected with the state. Then go and stand in line at the DMV, so you can pay the fee's. Just Make sure you take at least 5 photos of the bike at all angles.(Also, take all receipts of all the parts you put into it.) Inturn! they will give you paper work to fill out as to what you paid, and did to the bike. Once all the paper work, and fee's are paid, they will give you your plates & tags. But you have to wait till your VIN# come in the mail. (lmao!) You need the stat VIN# in order to get insurance. I've been all over the internet, trying to find insurance. GEICO will insure it, but You have to have that (state VIN#) I guess i just have to wait on my VIN# ... So with that being said, Good Luck! (^_^)\\m//
Hi everyone
I would like to know if anyone has an idea whether we need to make a VIN number for the bicycle, or wether the engine should have a VIN number on it?
I am from Toronto, Ontario, Canada,

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Hey JeanBelmont! I have some news for you, that might help. I had my bike registered, and liecensed here in minnsota as a motorcycle (being that its a 80/66cc) lol!. The 1st thing you have to do,is have the bike inspected with the state. Then go and stand in line at the DMV, so you can pay the fee's. Just Make sure you take at least 5 photos of the bike at all angles.(Also, take all receipts of all the parts you put into it.) Inturn! they will give you paper work to fill out as to what you paid, and did to the bike. Once all the paper work, and fee's are paid, they will give you your plates & tags. But you have to wait till your VIN# come in the mail. (lmao!) You need the stat VIN# in order to get insurance. I've been all over the internet, trying to find insurance. GEICO will insure it, but You have to have that (state VIN#) I guess i just have to wait on my VIN# ... So with that being said, Good Luck! (^_^)\\m//
Bad information, you need to contact your youcals and find out what you need. If I told you what is needed where I live it's NO use to you..For example.. Up to 150cc, no drivers license required, no tag, no registration, have helmet law (all bicycles included), no insurance, lights if using after dusk. Now is that any use to you?

mixxmilkk1

Apr 30, 2010
Mpls Minnesota
@AL.Fisherman: What state are you from al?! **** i might have to move there lmao! Here in Minnsota, everything has to be registered if its over 35cc. 48cc's have to be registered as a moped. Anything over 50cc's, has to be registered as a motorcycle. I even had to take the motorcycle test. I was better off buying a motorcycle lmao! Altough its more fun to ride my bikes :).....
Bad information, you need to contact your youcals and find out what you need. If I told you what is needed where I live it's NO use to you..For example.. Up to 150cc, no drivers license required, no tag, no registration, have helmet law (all bicycles included), no insurance, lights if using after dusk. Now is that any use to you?

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
@AL.Fisherman: What state are you from al?! **** i might have to move there lmao! Here in Minnsota, everything has to be registered if its over 35cc. 48cc's have to be registered as a moped. Anything over 50cc's, has to be registered as a motorcycle. I even had to take the motorcycle test. I was better off buying a motorcycle lmao! Altough its more fun to ride my bikes :).....
AL as in Alabama + Fisherman... = AL.Fisherman ..... Ron

If you look at the top right of my posts, you will notice I live in Calera, Alabama. I couldn't believe all the asinine laws throughout the states, before joining two different forums. Yes, Alabama considers these MB the same as bicycles. Now you understand my reply.

Last edited: