D.i.y. Hebe gebe?

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I've seen a few people try to make their own GEBE belt drive kit, but have not seen one completed. I understand why people would want to make their own. Shelling out $350.00 for a belt, a sheave, a clutch bell drum w/housing, a pulley gear and some mounting hardware just does not make sense.

A while back I acquired a GEBE belt off of ebay for $2.76 Shipped, and then contacted GEBE about the their drive ring and drive pulley. The belt I have is a New Old Stock one. It is the Gates 630XL K. From what I understand after speaking with the GEBE girl on the phone a while back she said the belt would work with their new HTD sheave, but would not work with the HTD drive pulley. I'm not sure if this is the truth or if she just would rather sell me a GEBE kit.

Anyhow, I didn't buy a GEBE kit, nor would I and I just acquired this clutch bell drum off of a engine I bought for $7.50. It is the best engine I've got and I paid the least for it. So I figured, I would try and get some straight answers from those who's motive is not profit.

Wondering.....................

Will the Gates 630XL K belt work with the HTD drive ring and HTD drive pulleys?

Is their any additional reduction needed?

The clutch bell drum I've got is a D bore but it has a threaded hole in the center. I was also pondering the Generic Whizzer Sheave that sells on ebay and trying a V belt drive, but not sure what drive pulley to go with, and if any other reduction would be needed with just this 1:1 clutch bell drum housing. I can fab engine mounts, and a belt tensioner.

Any Success or Failure stories welcomed.

I took a pict. of what I've got shown in attachments. Thanks,

Attachments

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I've seen a few people try to make their own GEBE belt drive kit, but have not seen one completed. I understand why people would want to make their own. Shelling out $350.00 for a belt, a sheave, a clutch bell drum w/housing, a pulley gear and some mounting hardware just does not make sense.

A while back I acquired a GEBE belt off of ebay for $2.76 Shipped, and then contacted GEBE about the their drive ring and drive pulley. The belt I have is a New Old Stock one. It is the Gates 630XL K. From what I understand after speaking with the GEBE girl on the phone a while back she said the belt would work with their new HTD sheave, but would not work with the HTD drive pulley. I'm not sure if this is the truth or if she just would rather sell me a GEBE kit.

Anyhow, I didn't buy a GEBE kit, nor would I and I just acquired this clutch bell drum off of a engine I bought for $7.50. It is the best engine I've got and I paid the least for it. So I figured, I would try and get some straight answers from those who's motive is not profit.

The clutch bell drum I've got is a D bore but it has a threaded hole in the center. I was also pondering the Generic Whizzer Sheave that sells on ebay and trying a V belt drive, but not sure what drive pulley to go with, and if any other reduction would be needed with just this 1:1 clutch bell drum housing. I can fab engine mounts, and a belt tensioner.

i have a gebe kit and im pretty sure the new htd gears take a different belt. The drive ring itself doesn't really have teeth like the gears do, so i would imagine any belt of correct size would work on it.

I seriously doubt profit is the only thing motivating the customer service at golden eagle.... frankly, its not Boeing or GE and there isnt that much money in it. Most of the people on this side of the ocean developing mb stuff for our market are pretty customer oriented to begin with. The ones motivated by profit are the middlemen selling the chepo chinese stuff.

very interested in your build though... i wish you the best of luck. If you need some pics of the gebe kit for reference later on feel free to ask.

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
in fact... after looking closer at the pics of your belt, i can tell you right now it wont work on the new htd gear. the teeth are too far apart.

standby for pics...

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal

see... the belt is obviously different, and the customer service rep was telling the truth. They switched to the new gearing because it is better quality and will last longer.... they try to build the best kit possible. In my opinion, this is the best kit you can buy and the customer service is just as good.

Last edited:

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for the legwork VTEC,

Most businesses need profit to operate, I was just hoping on gaining some insight from those that have tried to make their own. I know there have been a few but I have not seen them coming to fruition. Mine as well might be one to add to the list. Mine is not a really a build though yet, I just posted here(Pre-Motorized Bicycle info) to pick some brains. I just have a couple of parts, however if I can see a completed project with just the addition of a few non-expensive ones, I might embark on making anther MB. Not that I need one, however I have a Gary Fisher I have been sitting on for a couple of years and I'm not sure what to do with it. It is shown in the picts. in attachements. I'm not interested in buying a new GEBE kit from GEBE for it, however If i could find someone that has the old XL drive pulley and I could mount it to the clutch bell drum, and then buy the HTD drive ring and it would mesh with the belt, I might give it a shot and try and fab the rest of the parts.

VTEC, you were right about the friction drive when I was inquiring about one when I had a china 68.5/80cc kit. It is definitely a more reliable system, almost a night a day difference indeed, and you might be right about the GEBE kit as well, I'm just not interested in shelling out $350 for one. Thanks,

Attachments

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
VTEC, you were right about the friction drive when I was inquiring about one when I had a china 68.5/80cc kit. It is definitely a more reliable system, almost a night a day difference indeed, and you might be right about the GEBE kit as well, I'm just not interested in shelling out $350 for one. Thanks,
I completely understand. just trying to help, if I can be of assistance somehow in the future, please feel free to shoot me a pm.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
I'm not that confident in this at this moment. The weather is also getting nice, and I would rather be fishing that building a motorbicycle. I also do not have that much faith in the GEBE system. Attaching a drive ring to the spokes does not make me too confident to move forward on it as well. If the price is right though. I might give it a shot though. I did find a couple of drive pulleys........

13 Tooth D-bore Sprocket For 5mm Belts / Scooter - eBay (item 290217246328 end time Mar-09-11 12:52:13 PST)

TPC 12L075 BELT PULLEY 12 TEETH NEW - eBay (item 290523450917 end time Mar-16-11 13:59:09 PDT)

Not sure of the pitch of the GEBE XL belt. If anyone knows. I would appreciate it. Thanks,

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Just some observations I've made regarding what I see in your pics here and the ones posted on the links.

The clutch bell and housing you have are the ones used on CY46 also known as (GP460), a 46cc chinese 2-stroke engine used by GoPed. I'm quite sure that fhe 2 pulleys you're looking at on ebay won't fit that D-shaft as it is much larger than 8mm.

What I can tell you for sure is that clutch bell is a perfect replacement for the ones found on the Grubee 4G tranny (the Huasheng tapered shaft 3-shoe clutch type), and a lot stronger one at that.

Sorry as this won't help you much, just thought ya might like to know.....

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks scotto,

Was looking at NEAT TIMES D.I.Y GEBE and was thinking maybe I could just emulate his work if the older XL GEBE drive pulley has 5/16 threads and I could find one. I think I can redrill out the center hole in this clutch bell drum shaft, tap it to 5/16 and then run a 5/16 bolt to mount a GEBE drive pulley to the outside of the shaft not using the D-bore.

Lots of maybes, and not to sure about my standard spokes holding up to the drive ring torque. I'm not too interested in lacing up a set of 12 gauge spokes. This might be one of those projects you have on the backburner if you know what i mean.

Has anyone ever owned a GEBE and a WHIZZER? Wondering which method provides a more reliable method for driving the wheel with the least spoke breakage..........A GEBE Drive Ring or a Whizzer Drive Sheave? Thanks,

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That would work just fine, I did the same thing with one of those clutch bell's as illustrated below. The bell at the bottom of the pic is a broken 4G, the dark one on the right is like the one you have.....I cut the shaft off, drilled and tapped it and replaced it with the 10mm as shown. The shaft diameter of the large D-shaft is 15mm.

[IMG=http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2392/img1553ez.jpg][/IMG]

dnut

Thanks scotto,

Was looking at NEAT TIMES D.I.Y GEBE and was thinking maybe I could just emulate his work if the older XL GEBE drive pulley has 5/16 threads and I could find one. I think I can redrill out the center hole in this clutch bell drum shaft, tap it to 5/16 and then run a 5/16 bolt to mount a GEBE drive pulley to the outside of the shaft not using the D-bore.

Lots of maybes, and not to sure about my standard spokes holding up to the drive ring torque. I'm not too interested in lacing up a set of 12 gauge spokes. This might be one of those projects you have on the backburner if you know what i mean.

Has anyone ever owned a GEBE and a WHIZZER? Wondering which method provides a more reliable method for driving the wheel with the least spoke breakage..........A GEBE Drive Ring or a Whizzer Drive Sheave? Thanks,

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Ended up picking up another bicycle before I left, however it is back in Florida and I'm in North Carolina, so this is still on the backburner, no rush with any answers.

This is the bike I picked up...........

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/67/51/92/0001675192688_500X500.jpg

It is not as good of quality as the Gary Fisher I have, so If I screw it up, no biggie. I didn't pay that much for it.

Was pondering this.......................

Generic Whizzer Drive sheave mounted on the Right Hand/Cassette Side. Engine mounted above rear wheel with an extra 5:1 Pocket Bike tranny I have. Then getting a sprocket that has the 6 spline to mate up to the 5:1 tranny and take it to a machine shop and have it cut and put threads on it so it will mate up to a standard RH threaded Freewheel. Then get a 4 inch drive pulley and somehow mate up the RH threaded Freewheel to the 4 inch drive pulley giving a drive ratio of 20:1? Coenctricity would tricky to make the freewheel center with the 4" pulley. I do not see how it would be possible. Anyone have any experience in this area? Any ideas? Thanks,

Again I'm up in the N.C. mountains and the parts are back in Fl, and I do not plan to go back to Florida until the summer sweat bath is over, so no rush. Thanks,

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Unless you lock-out the rear suspension, you're gonna have to build a floating rack for the engine to mount on. Seems like more trouble than it may be worth....just my 2 cents tho.

dnut