BossCat's Push Trailer

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
yes you have the throttle hooked up right. I would try the wires you have left over. Oh yeah I once had a bike refuse to turn because I had the two brake wires I wasn't using shorted out. I would check all the extra wires to be sure they aren't shorted before I tried the hook up... then jumper what might be the switch.

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I took the controller round to my mate Peter's yesterday and he tested all the wires. Seems there all ok and without any breaks. He opened up the controller and we had a look inside, we couldn't see anything that was burnt/blackened or fused on the pcb board, it all looked ok.

I sent an email off to the ebay seller, telling him that I had rigged up the controller - batteries and throttle and couldn't get it working? I also asked if there was a wiring diagram and if he could tell me what the 2 thin bare Red n' Blue wires were for. Im awaiting a reply.

Regards
Tom

PS...

I picked up a couple of light strong frames the other day and made up a quick trailer. I'll strip one down and get Peter to weld it up so the wheesl are not cantilever.

Last edited:

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I took my new trailer frame round to my mate Peter's and got him to weld two lengths of angle iron along each end. Tomorrow i'll grind off the mesh and get Peter to weld on the two struts off the other frame, then i'll be able to sit my wheels between the struts and they'll be supported on both sides.

I plan to have a sunken square box like structure in the middle of the trailer that will hold the batteries and motor.

Regards
Tom

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
top of the morning to ya bosscat !

top of the morning to ya boss !! im thinking along these lines of design ,,the one you made with the single wheel , with what looks like an childs bike wheel ,, if you draw out plans I have been known to buy them at various places when im able . If so drop them in swap and shop and I just might try them out ,, i use pay pal latter cat !! P.S. i like the square frame last page too !!

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Weather was bad, rained on and off all day, but managed to get a little bit more done to the trailer. I used my grinder and ground of the mesh then took the bare frame around to my mates. A couple of hours and my mate got the inner struts welded on and the dropouts to hold the wheels.

The wheels are not perfectly alined but there close. Stll a couple of cross members/bracers to add on either side of the wheels to strenghten it up a bit, and a tow arm to make up. If its a nice day tomorrow i'll get it cleaned up and a lick of paint.

top of the morning to ya boss !! im thinking along these lines of design ,,the one you made with the single wheel , with what looks like an childs bike wheel ,, if you draw out plans I have been known to buy them at various places when im able . If so drop them in swap and shop and I just might try them out ,, i use pay pal latter cat !! P.S. i like the square frame last page too !!
As for plans of my mono wheel ... errr no plans as such but I could possible rake out some pics of it and tell you how it was made. I'll try and get some pics up during the week.

Regards
Tom

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
do you use bicycle skewers for axles? hey ve--

do you use bicycle skewers for axles? hey very bad storms in mississippi
Weather was bad, rained on and off all day, but managed to get a little bit more done to the trailer. I used my grinder and ground of the mesh then took the bare frame around to my mates. A couple of hours and my mate got the inner struts welded on and the dropouts to hold the wheels.

The wheels are not perfectly alined but there close. Stll a couple of cross members/bracers to add on either side of the wheels to strenghten it up a bit, and a tow arm to make up. If its a nice day tomorrow i'll get it cleaned up and a lick of paint.

As for plans of my mono wheel ... errr no plans as such but I could possible rake out some pics of it and tell you how it was made. I'll try and get some pics up during the week.

Regards
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
that looks like a big trailer. I took my old one with the single side brace and it was a bit shacky but I made the test run with it. I was going to make a trailer to haul my grandkids around in but my wife nixed that. I was going to use a plastic milk carton for the bed and a block of foam rubber for the seat. Oh well another thing I don't have to do.

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
that looks like a big trailer. I took my old one with the single side brace and it was a bit shacky but I made the test run with it.
Yeah, im sure it gets bigger each time I look at it :D I think this is going to be my camping/fishing trailer, I built one last year with wheelchair wheels but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.

The idea of the big/camping trailer was to have an enclosed plywood box with a removable lid. Once at your camping/fishing site and the trailer was parked up, I would remove the lid/roof and place 4/6 poles in the trailer, then replace the lid/roof atop the poles and unfurl a tent/tarpaulin that sits inside the lid/roof down the sides of the trailer. The end result would look something like a 4 poster bed with wheels.

I seen this one done by a German guy who use's it for touring...

Andr on Radtour
This site also shows the construction of the folding top trailer. Use Bablefish webpage translator if you wish to brows the site in english - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Babel Fish - Online Translator | Free Translation

Another German made camping trailer...

Homepage eines Verrückten - Bilder 1

Aint they a couple of beauties ;)

I wished I had a nice big workshop so I could attempt to build something on this level.

Regards
Tom

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Re: sorry boss cat my browser

sorry boss cat my browser would not let me open the message i will see if i can fix it by allowing pop ups !!!!
Yeah, im sure it gets bigger each time I look at it :D I think this is going to be my camping/fishing trailer, I built one last year with wheelchair wheels but haven't gotten around to finishing it yet.

The idea of the big/camping trailer was to have an enclosed plywood box with a removable lid. Once at your camping/fishing site and the trailer was parked up, I would remove the lid/roof and place 4/6 poles in the trailer, then replace the lid/roof atop the poles and unfurl a tent/tarpaulin that sits inside the lid/roof down the sides of the trailer. The end result would look something like a 4 poster bed with wheels.

I seen this one done by a German guy who use's it for touring...

Andr on Radtour
This site also shows the construction of the folding top trailer. Use Bablefish webpage translator if you wish to brows the site in english - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Babel Fish - Online Translator | Free Translation

Another German made camping trailer...

Homepage eines Verrückten - Bilder 1

Aint they a couple of beauties ;)

I wished I had a nice big workshop so I could attempt to build something on this level.

Regards
Tom

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
I done a little test with the 24V controller and my 36V 500Watt motor.

I fitted a small temp board to hold the batteries/conrtoller and other bits, I still have the wireloom from the little scooter to tidy up.

I rigged up a couple of small 12V 7amp batteries and did a test run, I went all of 30 yards before the batteries gave up. :)
Im going to try two of the bigger (12V 14amp) batteries out of the powabyke battery pack on a test run today.

Still haven't recieved any word about the wiring on the 36V controller from the ebay seller, so it looks like I'll just have to go ahead and join up those wires and see what happens? If all goes zpt I'll just have to order up an new controller.

Question?
Would running 3 12V = 36V batteries through the 24V controller blow it up?

Regards
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
6to1 it would. I have one brand of controller that is rated 24 which runs 36v daily, and does fine. I have killed two others over volting. if I were buying one new, I would get 36v the 24v just for me isn't enough/

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Kicking,
Ah geez, man... ya just had to post those pictures of the camping trailers. Like I don't already have enough marbles rolling around in me head. Now this, too. Seems to me I have a little one man tent that measures 4 x 8, just the size of a sheet of plywood, plus an extra trailer frame lying around that could get beefed up some. I'd need a shift kit and gears to handle the extra weight back there plus my sidecar for the dog. Of course I'll have to find a job so I can pay for it all... but wouldn't it be cool?
SB

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Kicking,
Ah geez, man... ya just had to post those pictures of the camping trailers. Like I don't already have enough marbles rolling around in me head.
SB
There aint many bike trailers out there that I haven't seen over my year and a half of research, and just so you know, my head is also full of marbles :D

Today I rigged up a plastic box for the top of the trailer to hold the batteries/24V controller and other bits. I put 2 of the Powabyke batteries in the box, hooked everything up and gave it a test run. The first thing that happened was the chain kept comming of. I took it down to my mates yard (where I got the frame from) and gave him a go. It propeled him along quite nicley and he's a big fat bloke -(dont tell him I said that :D), another guy had a try and thought it was great - a nippy little thing once you get it going.

Box of Tricks.

Trailer.

When I returned home my mate Peter showed up and we made up a makeshift chain tensioner, Peter placed a piece of wood across the frame and sat on it, to may amazement the bike managed to propel us both along. I did a few more test runs and I must have been doing around 12 to 15 mph. I now cant wait to get the 36V controller and 3 batteries on the go...... Woooosh.

Im now begining to think I was in Deacons camp! - (Battery Gremlins) where as I have/had Trailer Gremlins :D It maybe that I have the 36V 500Watt motor on? but this trailer is way faster than my last rigup of the 24V motor & controller.

You may also note that I have gone back to my little ball hitch, it held up well, which I didn't think it would.

Regards
Tom

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't like my battery trailer any more. I think I need to redo it for a lighter weight version. I am not convinced yet since I haul around 3 17ah batteries most of the time, but I would really like to have on that is lighter weight.

I also found my forth lawn mower 10" wheel. I think I might just build a four wheel trailer with the wagon type tongue hitch. Still thinking on it.

BossCat

Nov 29, 2009
Scotland
Im now in the process of making a small push trailer for my shopping trips etc.
When I got the big frames to make my camping/push trailer I also got 2 blue metal frames of an old shelving unit.

Frames...

I made up this little trailer over the past couple of days. I still have to add a piece of angle iron along the back end of the trailer, this will (along with the other piece) support the mudguards I will be adding. Once I get it up and running, and make sure all is ok, then i'll start work on adding a plywood box to it. I also plan to add a sunken box that will hold the batteries and controller.

The big camping/push trailer has been put on hold for the time being until I source out some materials.

Regards
Tom