Its that time again.....Science Fair! And Guess what i am doing?

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
This year i am deterimend to get a blue ribbon at the science fair
So I am doing a electric bicycle powered in a green way (wind turbine: Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Wind Turbine)

One problem.......I cant decide what model or plan for my bike i want to use????

Hopefully i can get some pics soon.....
one is a completey kustom trike, the other a normal bike but with back hacked off and 2 wheels added

I am a luanatic!!!!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I'll bite.
"Comment".
There now :D

In all seroiusness, I hope your science fair project goes well for you; and perhaps it will get more people intrested in alternative energy transportation.
I recommend searching in the electric bike section both here and at the "other" site for ideas on which set up will work best for you. I am of no help as I do not like electric setups. I like to recharge to full capacity in less than a minuit by pouring my energy source into my storage device. :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I think we need to look at even more exotic alternate energy ideas. We are getting hung up on ebikes now like we did gasoline. I have no idea what else is available out there but something probably is.

How about propane from those tanks for a travel trailer. Steam engines maybe or even atomic energy. I expect Iran would loan you an isotope or two. I know some guys looked at rockets and jets. Surely there is something else out there. Something simple and inexpensive would be nice.

Last edited:

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I think we need to look at even more exotic alternate energy ideas. We are getting hung up on ebikes now like we did gasoline. I have no idea what else is available out there but something probably is.

How about propane from those tanks for a travel trailer. Steam engines maybe or even atomic energy. I expect Iran would loan you an isotope or two. I know some guys looked at rockets and jets. Surely there is something else out there. Something simple and inexpensive would be nice.
I have heard of a propane go-ped:Go-Ped® - GSR Pro-Ped

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Today I tried to paint neon stripes on the PVC for the turbine, but of course it failed lol.
The paint dosen't cover up entirely, i guess it's from the type of paint it is.

So i am going to just make them all black *shrug*

If any one has a old treadmill motot up for grabs, PM, email, or reply to me here!!

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Weekend you should be writing instructions for foreign countries like China...you seem to illustrate well and have a good command of English writing. You never cease to amaze with your ideas...I for one have never seen a wind turbine driven vehicle but I think it would probably work with a prop on a boat. Too much friction and weight involved for us land lovers to use IMO...I could be wrong.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
There is a prop driven ebike on utube. I have no idea how well it worked since the vid was of it at the garage. I have seen the vids of props on the end of weedeaters lashed to a bike. Might be something in that.

TheE

Jun 26, 2009
Canada
What's the advantage of a prop-powered bike anyways? It would look like something out of a steam-punk fantasy novel, but other than that I don't see what it would do that powering the wheels doesn't...apart from making you the bane of low-flying avian wildlife.

I can see the attraction on a Weedeater motor, 'cos I think they're designed for RPMs more than torque.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
'We are like politicians we don't answer the questions you ask necessarily but we do answer the ones we want to answer. It's that slight of hand that gets them elected.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Propane was an earlier suggestion of an alternate power source lol - but despite the fact they even have conversion kits for gasoline engines to run on propane (only seen 'em for V8s tho) - trust me they just plain suck. Major HP/torque loss compared to the gasoline version and propane is expensive and mildly dangerous (leaks).

I've driven both passenger vans and school buses repowered to take propane and more than one of each - one and all they were gutless wonders to put it mildly.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Only advantage I can think of is they fire right up in the cold weather. They also smell like a fork lift exhaust. They may have been cheaper when gas went to $4 a gallon but that changes along with diesel price variation.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That's true george, but the efficiency is so... not efficient that the MPG vs gasoline destroys any "savings" (often tru with diesel too, but the other way - it may cost more per gallon but ya get farther) - I don't remember the math but I suspect even if propane was 1/2 the price of gasoline you'd still be paying more per mile.

...and yeah, I hated drivin' the propane vehicles lol - can you tell? :p