Generator for the Predator

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I"m working on generator for the 212 as I think i might have enough room for a dc motor.

I'm looking at this DC motor that dracothered found. It doesn't need a bridge rectifier, but possibly a regulator. http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/DC-Motors/DC-Motors-Face-Mount/1-25-HP-28-VDC-MOTOR.axd

It'll be driven from the output of the cvt to the following vbelt pulley system to drive the motor.
5/8" x 2" + 5/16" x 3" size
http://www.mcmaster.com/#6245k114/=ouceei

At cruising speed, rpm should be right in the range of the motor, assuming that I'll be cruising around 4500rpm or so.

Now just have to look for a regulator

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Ground for DC voltage from the generator should be connected to battery too, but didn't have it drawn on there.

and

I didn't have the rear turn signals on there, but it should be running in parallel with the front turn signals.

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
I am running this same dc motor with a similar voltage regulator. I found that I needed to run a diode in between the motor/generator and the battery, because the motor would draw power from the battery and drain the battery. I put the diode on the positive wire.

Gilbert

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
I have a generator for my motor bike, but it has its own gas tank. 1850 Watt old style Coleman I was gifted. It took like 50 pulls to start before I cleaned the air filter, spark plug, and though not wanting to mess with the carburetor, that too. Now 1 or 2 pulls and it starts.

I saw that it was OHV type and if one day I want to take the engine for another motor bike build I might. An alternative is to take it back to Burning Man where I had it gifted to me and trailer it behind the motor bike dressed up as a fish. The electricity from the gen-set I could really light up the fish!

MT

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I'm tempted to run two diodes. One from the + connection just after the generator to the positive input terminal of the regulator so when i do maneuver the bike in reverse, it wouldn't fried the regulator. Another diode at the output of the regulator to prevent unwanted voltage from the battery feeding back to the regulator.

In theory, all I really need is a diode from the generator to the regulator, but might as well have another one. Diodes are cheap.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
GBrebes, do you have pics of your setup? I still need to fab up a mount for the generator and get a 16" belt. That'll give me ~4.86" of spacing between the shaft. I'll probably end up with a 17" belt to get 5.56" though

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

I took the generator off before the last race at Grange. The motor I had in the bike (Honda GS190) with the generator busted a valve stem. I put in a briggs 5hp, but the exhaust pipe would not allow me to keep the generator in. I have to pull the motor to work on a stuck intake valve soon. When I pull the motor, I'll put in the generator with the belt and get a picture for you.

I run my generator belt off of the jackshaft. I run a comet-type clutch and in order to align the primary belt with the engine, there is a space between my secondary belt pulley and the comet pulley. Just enough to fit a small 1 1/2" pulley with a skinny belt.

Gilbert

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
that kubota looks so compact on your setup. I'll look closely on my bike to see if I can have the same setup as your. At the moment, I think i might need to mount my generator underneath the motor mounting plate.