anyone got a tip or trick?

GoldenMotor.com

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Every so often I take an evening to dig out the plug wires from CDI units that have them glued in. Stupid arthritis causes a lot of aching in my fingers afterwards. Today, they're still sore this AM : (

Has anyone found a solvent that will get these out without hurting the CDI?

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Every so often I take an evening to dig out the plug wires from CDI units that have them glued in. Stupid arthritis causes a lot of aching in my fingers afterwards. Today, they're still sore this AM : (

Has anyone found a solvent that will get these out without hurting the CDI?
i'm new around here myself so i don't have any answer for you but i do have a couple of links where you may find the answer or, failing that, you will be more likely to get the answer in one of these threads.

can't find an answer then ask here someone may be able to help!!

Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

peace, bozo

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Acetone will dissolve cyanoacrilates (crazy glue) but I'd expect anything that gets the glue will also melt the plastic case and possibly damage internal components.
Be very careful trying to dissolve the glue rather than digging it out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've used a Dremel with a tiny little 1/16" burr. I just run it around the inside circumference of the tower where the wire sets and inward until I hear it touch the threaded contact. Keep working in a circular motion until all of the original wire is gone. It only takes seconds but you need to be careful.
Don't damage that metal contact that looks like a sheet metal screw or you'll be buying a new CDI.

I've complained to one of our sponsors, a friend and neighbor but he said he has not recieved a reply from the factory as to why the wires are glued in or if they plan to stop doing it. If I hear anything I'll pass it on here.

Tom

Last edited: