OCC Stingray better brakes...plz help

GoldenMotor.com

chrisc

Mar 26, 2012
woonsocket, ri
OK...newbie here needs help, no one here responed to my other 2 posts ;(........I actually need help on more other than this but this 4sure. I want to upgrade the brakes on my OCC Chopper for the engine kit for "SAFE" stopping power. Plz any ideas??

Bigbrag

May 22, 2011
Montana
Re: occ stingray...disc brakes

Ditto on this. I just picked up a stingray for $40 with no brakes and was contemplating the same thing.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Re: occ stingray...disc brakes

irst off, you'd have to get hubs that are disk brake compatable.
disk brake hubs are machined to acceptthe disks. they have flanges machined into the hubs that the disks can bolt to.
then you'd have to weld a caliper bracket to the frame and to the forks.
you'd probably have to make the caliper brackets, but there are possibly some universal ones that would work.
it could get quite expensive to do this, especially if you want to put a disk on the rear wheel because you'd have to find a disk brake hub wide enough for the rear wheel, and i'm not sure that any even exist.
Putting a disk on the front wouldn't be too bad to do, but it could still get expensive.
I'm not saying that it can't be done, i'm just saying that it could get expensive and it can become challenging.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I'm running a single caliper brake on the rear wheel of my o.c.c. and no front brake.
it stops pretty good for me.
I had to modify the stock brake caliper and get some good brake pads, but a caliper brake will never stop as good as a disk brake will.