Mysterious Power Loss After Oil Type Change

GoldenMotor.com

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Hey all,

I just thought I'd share a frustrating experience I'd had over the past two-days involving power-loss. I have a couple of thousand on a well-running 66cc. I picked up some new 2-stroke oil from the local Ace Hardware, and inadvertently chose their synthetic-blend. I was "on the road" and my portable supply was exhausted. My usual blend is standard ashless 2-stroke blended with castor-oil. After using the new blend, the engine ran fine for about 50-miles, but then suddenly my power dropped. It was sort of like it was running at half-choke. The motor ran much quieter. I always have a spare top-end since it's just the right thing to do, and I was tempted to simply swap the old one out and call it a day. Instead, I went thorough an exhaustive troubleshooting procedure. The engine ignition behaved like the compression was shot, although its start-up pressure felt normal. The spark seemed normal, although I cycled through different CDIs, plugs, and coils. I carefully re-lapped the mating surfaces...no improvement. I was, however, reusing my existing head-gasket. I was careful to clean its surfaces off with a razor-blade to make sure it'd crush cleanly. Well, this morning in the sunlight, it was visually evident that there'd been some blow-by on the underside of the head-fins. There had been no expected blow-by noise though...the popping and squeaking. I grabbed another unused, thinner head-gasket, re-lapped, and replaced the head. Sure enough, I was back in business. In fact, the thinner gasket increased pressure, and I was easily doing 3MPH faster than normal. So, does anyone believe that the blow-by could have been triggered by the oil-change? The head-bolts showed NO signs of loosening, and the old gasket was not visibly damaged. It's as if the existing seal became compromised after the synth was used.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I've seen synth oil go past gaskets - usually tightening it a bit will hold it - on old sand-cast motors, it is sometimes necessary to paint the inside of cases to prevent synth oil from seeping right thru the metal

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I know there are some things that will leak where others won't. Ethelene glycol for example can find leaks that water can't in the same system. But I'm not sure about this issue. I tend to agree with the last two posts. Head gasket leaked because it was used and had defects you might not have seen with the naked eye.
It would have been interesting to see what would have happened with a new gasket.

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Yeah, the thing is is that this occurred BEFORE I opened the head, and after I used the synth. It had been reliable for a LONG time before the power-loss.

In any case, the new gasket's holding well. Still puzzled though.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had head gaskets blow from the head loosening up over time as well. I suspect it loosend up and got you by supprise? Same thing happened to a freind of mine once right in front of me. He said he had never checked it.

One thing I knoticed early on with these kits is the stock pipe acts like a tuning fork. Mebbe less for some kits or how well I had em? I use differant pipes now But the same rule still applies I think. If everything is buckled down nice then nothing has to rattle loose prematurly as fast.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I think it's got more to do with the crappy head studs. I've had engines that needed checked every week for a couple months, then go years untouched and vice-versa.
Some want to loosen up under heavy use, others never move. It's simply a crap shoot.
I generally keep an eye on them at least the first five or six tanks, and especially if anything new added (pipe, head, etc)

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I dunno about that so much you could be right. Yet the whole 6000 or so miles on my first engine the head was loose all the time and that pipe just hanging there on a crappy aluminum cast jug. If it can rattle then it will have a better chance of destroying itself.

As a certified auto tech I am no stranger to lock tite. It was used.... I use it on my head bolts to my Italian Morini. Everything is absolutly solid on that machine. With 20 k on it I have only tighten the head bolts mebbe 4 times?

My hommade Morini bike the exhaust pipe destroyed itself at the muffler. All the unfastened parts that just let that pipe rattle broke my welds on it. Even broke the mount tabs I made on the bike. ''Welded'' Yes I know how to weld and I dare say better than most folks might ever will. That pipe could rattle back to the motor on it yet nothing like a stock H.T. Head bolts worked great. That motor was built engineered correctly.

I agree about better head studs. How ever IMO the little H.T. motor is not state of the art, and cannot compare to better enginering that many other motors seem to have. It's days are just numbered...IME With about a dozen of them.

Had a buddy that made mounts for his engine out of aluminum block. CNC milled. Then made ones for the muffler too. Only person here locally that I ever saw that it all stayed perfect after that. I mean nothing ever came loose ever! Was a shame after all his work tho. One motor that wrist pin bearing fell apart. The next one the Crank bearing came apart. Now I cannot get him back in the Hobby. Sad..

I have watched this phenomena happen over and over again on the 30 some ought bowling machines I used to maintain. Dangest thing the machines are all the same model. The ones with loose rattling parts would self destruct very fast. '''Everywhere!''' I will never forget what I learned right there!

So in a nut shell I will never build a contraption then watch it rattle itself apart with out a fight!!!
If it is half A$$ it will just stay that way and fall apart. Sometimes sooner somtimes later. Can bank on it coming tho.. Been consistant over here. lol

Last edited: