Found something interesting

GoldenMotor.com

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I was thinking about msrfan's hybrid Stihl build today, and went hunting info on the engine, which led me off on a tangent, and ebay, mainly blowers and stuff that might be powered by the Stihl hybrid. THEN it got interesting.
I never knew they put as much horsepower in them as I found. Dont tell the 2stroke guys, but they have an over 50cc Tanaka rated at 4.5hp in one. My experience with a Tanaka is that they are extremely durable. Now, for the eyeopener.
Shindaiwa's supercharged hybrid. When you go to the link below, look at the two "working" models. The first one shows a reed valve into the crankcase after the carb, very similar to the Stihl hybrid. Now look at the second model. There is a second reed from the crankcase to the intake tract. I have to agree that this is a "supercharged" engine as it inhails twice per cylinder induction cycle. Oh, and the engine is 79.2cc. and requires premium fuel. The single lobe cam deal is pretty trick too.brnot

http://www.bransontractorsouth.com/page6.html

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
If you harness one, it should dominate in it's class.....one would hope, grasshopper.

I used to race Tanaka's, I'm well aware of what they produce. Supercharged hybrid's.....we'll see. The good ol' 4-stroke will be the one to beat in the now future. Jus sayin'

I would think Quenton's already designing around this powerplant.

dnut

I was thinking about msrfan's hybrid Stihl build today, and went hunting info on the engine, which led me off on a tangent, and ebay, mainly blowers and stuff that might be powered by the Stihl hybrid. THEN it got interesting.
I never knew they put as much horsepower in them as I found. Dont tell the 2stroke guys, but they have an over 50cc Tanaka rated at 4.5hp in one. My experience with a Tanaka is that they are extremely durable. Now, for the eyeopener.
Shindaiwa's supercharged hybrid. When you go to the link below, look at the two "working" models. The first one shows a reed valve into the crankcase after the carb, very similar to the Stihl hybrid. Now look at the second model. There is a second reed from the crankcase to the intake tract. I have to agree that this is a "supercharged" engine as it inhails twice per cylinder induction cycle. Oh, and the engine is 79.2cc. and requires premium fuel. The single lobe cam deal is pretty trick too.brnot

http://www.bransontractorsouth.com/page6.html

Last edited:

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Well it still relies on atmospheric pressure to get mixture into the engine, so I don't see any supercharge effect, but with a power pulse every rev. and valves to control the nasty emmissions, it looks like a stroke of genius.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
Professor,
I think you missed something. It's way outside the box thinking, and it's a four stroke.
If you look at the two "in motion" illistrations. The one the left shows a reed valve between the crankcase and carb, and it fills the crankcase on the upstoke of the piston as does a two stroke. Now look at the second one. You'll see another reed valve leading into the "intake tract". When the piston goes up on the compression stroke, the crankcase is going through an intake equal to the piston displacement, and as you say, atmospheric pressure is behind that. Then the piston starts down on the power stroke and the crankcase pressurizes and that is pumped through the second reed valve into the intake tract. then the piston starts up on the exhaust stroke, inhaling through the carb again. When the piston starts down on "its" intake stroke the crankcase is emptying a second charge into the intake tract.
Therefore, we have TWO intake charges, equal to piston displacement, that have been pushed into the intake tract from the crankcase. Supercharged is the only discription I can think of.
This engine is found on Shindaiwa's most powerful leaf blower. Horsepower isn't stated, but they do have a smaller blower with 4.3hp.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It really does sound promising....the 4-stroke is pretty much here to stay so all improvements are worth looking into. Yes Greybeard, thanks for sharing.

dnut

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That is an interesting question FlatBlack.

Glad this thread got bumped. I had forgot the title and lost it. I am gonna call right now and ask some questions. I hope to get one of these and if not crazy expensive, will post a vid of it running.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Having trouble (so far) getting to some one who will sell me or quote a price for an engine alone. They are pricey but not crazy high from what I have found.

This is cool; Listen to the Hybrid 4: Shindaiwa Hybrid 4 Engine Technology | Hybrid4Engine.com It is a sound comparison with a normal 2 smoke. Not hugely different, but does have more depth of a sound. But it is a marketing recording so am thinking take it with a grain of salt for now.

If I can get one for around the price of a Honda GX50, will order one on the spot and right quick.

LOL, this is why I am always broke. Just can't have enough toys or tools to make more toys

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just wrote the manufacturer. I asked; RPM range, shaft size/keyed and price.

Man I love new concepts and projects!

LOL, might be a "MBer" sort of deal.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
They have several models with this type engine, but different sizes, along with sever alother models with conventional 2 stroke engines.
There is a new on on e-bay, the largest one,79cc, for $500 buy it now.

Check my next post for a link to more info on these

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Cool Wayne! 79cc is about perfect for up my way. Also found this review.

"Issue Date: , Posted On: 1/15/2011

Shindaiwa's Hybrid 4 engine technology
Shindaiwa introduced its Hybrid 4 engine technology at GIE+EXPO 2010. The new engine technology combines the best elements of two-stroke engines -- light weight, high power-to-weight ratios, minimal maintenance and all-position operation -- with the best elements of four-stroke engines -- precise ignition/exhaust timing and reduced emissions.
Hybrid 4 engines will be available in three engine sizes -- 24.5 cc, 34 cc and 79.7 cc -- on 18 Shindaiwa product families, including the trimmer, brushcutter, hedge trimmer, blower, multi-tool, edger and PowerBroom lines.

Hybrid 4 products have lower emissions, better fuel economy, more torque than traditional two-stroke models, and a low tone sound. They also feature reduced starting effort with built-in decompression and offer longer engine life due to dual-stage air filtration. Benefits include:

Lower emissions: Compared to other gas-powered handheld equipment, Hybrid 4 engine-powered products have some of the lowest emissions levels in the industry. The emissions are cleaner in Hybrid 4 products, dramatically reducing the exhaust smell typically associated with traditional two-stroke products.

Unique low tone: The first thing users notice about the Hybrid 4 products is the sound, which is unlike traditional two-stroke products in terms of engine noise and level of tone. The Hybrid 4 engine is easier on the operator’s ear and the surrounding area. You can hear the difference at www.hybrid4engine.com.listen.asp.

Improved economy: In addition to an exceptional life expectancy, Hybrid 4 engines use 10- to 25-percent less fuel than equivalent two-stroke engines for even greater operational savings. Equipment powered by Hybrid 4 engines is easy to maintain and uses the same fuel mix as two-stroke engines. Unlike conventional four-stroke engines, there is no need to change oil and no oil level to constantly check and maintain.

Improved torque: Hybrid 4 products deliver higher torque to the lower end, for more power in tougher applications.

Improved starting technology: The built-in decompression on Hybrid 4 engines reduces the pressure within the cylinder, requiring less effort to pull the starter rope. And thanks to the fuel-born lubrication system, Hybrid 4 engines can be operated in any position -- even upside-down -- for extended intervals.

Improved durability and quality: Hybrid 4 engines use dual-stage air filtration for cleaner air passing into the engine, which increases engine life and reduces internal engine wear. Like all Shindaiwa products, Hybrid 4 engines are designed with close-tolerance engineering for long life and practical serviceability.

For more information on Shindaiwa, visit www.shindaiwa.com."

Shindaiwa's Hybrid 4 engine technology | PublishingTitles |

I am gonna see if I can buy in bulk.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
During my Google search on this engine, after i found it, I found a vid comparison of this engine verses a two stroke with sound. It sounded like a crisp 4 stroke, not lazy getting up to revs, nice mellow 4 stroke sound. The drawback is price. Best I could find was a new blower @$500 w/shipping.
Longblock was over six. No used ones had appeared anywhere.
I may buy a new blower to get one. At the very worst I'll have the most powerful backpac leaf blower on the market.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
From what I am reading, I may buy a few if I can get the engines alone. But would be after testing one.

It just seems to good to be true so am really wondering. No used ones for sale could be a good sign. Dunno.

Really is a great find and thanks again for posting and sharing GreyBeard.

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I thought the backpac blower complete might be helpful. Got a built-in load. Change carbs, dialing in carbs, checking out pipes. Make the change, run it and see if the result is increased revs.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Got an email back from them. Was curt and answered only one of my questions. I am not thrilled with them so far;

"Dan

Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately we are not in the business of selling engines – only complete units. Thanks for your understanding.

ECHO Marketing Services"

So seems I am buying a back-pack blower payday.