whizzer style bike

GoldenMotor.com

timeflys

Jan 6, 2010
baltimore
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am tring to build a vintage style bike. Has anyone built a bike using a belt verses a chain? I have a whizzer type rear wheel with a sheeve (takes a belt) If anyone has used a belt can you send me some pictures on your setup? I just bought a china motor to try and keep the vintage look but it has a sprocket and I want to change it to belt drive. :-||:-|| Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, timeflys

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I think the wheel pulley will be on the large side - meaning with a HT you will be revving real hard and going real slow. If you put a jackshaft between the HT and the wheel you could get the ratio back up. wouldn't it be easier to just use the chain drive from the kit.

You might consider replacing the sprocket with a pulley. Might take some minor machine work. Another option is to over-lay the pulley over the sprocket [if there is room].

The original Whizzer rear ratio was 3.5" to 15", or corrected rea drive ratio of 4.43 X 1. It would be similar to a 10 tooth drive sprocket and a 44 at the rear wheel.

I am a collector of Whizzer motorbikes, and have at least 20 in my collection, therefore I am very familar with belt drive.

Have fun,