In-Frame Boardtrack gas tanks

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
When looking at vintage photographs of boardtrack racers you will quickly realize that most of these wonderful machines are built around what is essentially a three bar type heavy duty bicycle frame. You will also notice that the gas tanks are located in the space between the upper and middle frame tubes, allowing a low center of gravity for both fuel and rider. Without building a custom frame we are limited to a few different styles of three bar frames. I have always been a Schwinn guy since my first stingray as a kid and now that I am building boardtrack racing replica motor bikes a logical frame choice for me is of course the 26" Schwinn cruiser frames of the 1950's. In particular I prefer the 1950 Schwinn Panther frame. These frames are fairly plentiful and tough as nails. I have been building in-frame tanks for these bikes, just four tanks to date, and have been working out the shapes and fabrication methods. My most recent has more curvature to the overall profile and this shape has complicated the fabrication process. Here is one I just finished up today. It is CAD designed, laser cut stainless steel sheet metal, and precision tig welded together. Here are some photos.

Attachments

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here are a couple more shots of the tank. This shape was designed for a boardtrack build, but would also work well for a stock build using some of the currently available stencile kits for repainting original graphics onto tanks.

Attachments

makaworx

Dec 1, 2009
The Netherlands
I am totaly jealous of your tank.
The thing that ruins the look of most bikes for me is that black sore eye on top of the frame.
Yes, yes i know. That's not nice to say becouse many have a tank like that wich came with a kit.
But you all would love a tank like this one i bet.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that looks great. now if you could just produce them for a reasonable amount, it'd be awesome. i was looking into it, and using the same basic design, a buddy of mine said he could make me one, cheap.

with bung and gas cap, "cheap" turned out to be around $150.

that's not cheap, considering that's as much as the entire kit. and if i were to have them made for sale, it'd jack it up even more.

custom tanks are a major hurdle for the average builder on a budget.

again, nice work. especially in keeping with the vintage motor-bike look.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Bairdco,
These tanks take a huge amount of time to design and build. Once the design is finalized I can cut extra pieces, but then they still have to be tacked together, welded, welds ground, and finished sanded. I can build one in a day, but it's a long day. Two of my customers wanted them real bad but for different frames. They finally bought Panther frames instead of trying to convince me to design another shape. At this point it is actually easier to find a frame to fit my tank then build another design to fit a different frame. I have been considering building a tank to fit a Schwinn cantilever style frame as this would be a big market, but have heard that the frames vary dimensionally between the different years. Besides, I already have a day job.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yeah, i understand the reasoning behind them being expensive. the time and effort going into handmaking everything is impressive, to say the least.

anyway, keep it up. the tank is usually what elevates the average looking kit build, into the realm of "hey, that's a cool lookin' little motorcycle..."

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
The cap and bung assembly are purchased from a custom Harley shop. I use them because they are vented and are a very small diameter which allows me to keep the tank profile nice and slim so I can still pedal comfortably. The bung drops in through a top hole in the stainless sheet and is then tig welded into place. The cap itself is machined aluminum. The cap and bung are expensive little suckers. I did use a SS pipe nipple on an earlier tank. See boardtrack racer vintage style by Ichybird.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
I do understand the work involved. This type of thing comes up over and over. You all have to remember, these tanks are no different than a motorcycle tank in design and construction. If I could have custom (metal) motorcycle tanks made for $150, I could sell them all day long for a nice profit. Just try to get one made for under $400. I wouldn't build one for less.
Already having the skills and tools has nothing to do with whether or not it's affordable. When I was a kid, I also thought that if I had a snow plow on my truck, I would just go ahead and plow the highway since I was there anyway.
Budget project or not, lots of things in life have the sum of their parts greater than the whole.
Dave
KC

Reactions: chainmaker

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Very nice job on the tank. You've really got a nice look there with the panther frames.

There's not a lot you can do to get around spending quite a bit of time fabricating a custom tank. It has occured to me that a nicer looking tank would be a popular addition to the kits. A saddle type tank would be more universal than an in frame tank and would sit low enough for a better look. If they could be fabricated in the 100's you might be able to get close to the $150 price.

Might be a nice project for the group to come up with.

Mike

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is the lastest tank design painted up and mounted to the bike. The tapered nose section is a real pain to tack weld together but worth the extra trouble once it is done.

Attachments

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Looks great! Those compound angles are a pain thought they look quite simple. For some reason the metal never distorts in the direction of your vision!
Good job.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Have built a few custom motorcycle tanks..a lot goes into making them symmetrical , and tig welding / grinding in a manner that avoids any distortion...Any small imperfection shows up when the paint goes on..no bondo..kinda hard to make a profit on these even at $500 each......oh yea what I meant to say was ..Beautiful job on that tank..nice clean mounting too..$500 part for sure..more with that paint job

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I wanted to make a comment here about both the quality of Pat's work and his integrity as a seller. I buy and sell a good bit on eBay and have for some years. I also purchase a fair amount of bicycle parts via the internet which get shipped to me. I am the happy buyer of Pat's prototype in frame tank, the one he originally posted with the "motorbike" decal on the side. The tank arrived yesterday in a box a good bit larger than the tank. It was securely taped and marked all over as being fragile, do not crush, etc. Inside was shredded paper and inside that was an object in many layers of bubble wrap. Inside that was the object in many layers of shrink wrap and inside that was a cloth wrapping containing the tank... looking great and in perfect condition. In over 500 eBay sales and many other items shipped to me through the years I have never received anything packed with such care. That same care and attention to detail is obvious in the tank itself. Pat may have moved on to a 'better' version of the tank than this first one, but in my eyes it is wonderful. I just wanted to give a thumbs up to an A1 builder and seller. Anyone contemplating buying one of these tanks, do it. No, they aren't cheap and cost more than an engine kit, but you get what you pay for and it is that tank which is going to set your bike apart. Many thanks, Pat!
Silverbear

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I have spoken by email with you earlier in Novembers Boardtrack and Vintage forums about Your detailed fabrication of SAFE and Fire resistant tank. during November... after the preview of the fantastic Schwinn you fabricated a tank from scratch! using a pattern cut from board stock . It proves the dedication You have!!!! Plus the Time = Money required for your ARTWORK phase, and Pre-fab Jigswhick will make your rich one day you may now claim and Patent for future Rights!!! is destined to wear an old man like Me out after only a few builds. Most bikers would get a loan on their Grandma's Estate to buy a real live "frame and tank" combination. I will pre-order the first one NOW. You and your Home Boy's have created a good "universal tank" for Schwinn's Patented Straight Bar Frames, ...!!! Now It seems,,,, I hope You fabricate some frame and tank combo packs hand braised frames of Chrom-Moly,,, and one of Your" First Series Hand Made Gasoline Tanks " packed together and shipped world wide for $500 pre paid Yeah
I wonder if You will bend some 5/8 tube for Laid back seat Posts and sell those for $ 15 , I had to go with a straight post I bought a local bike shop I want one bent 90 degrees so I can sit comfortably on the bike. a clamp too You would make a fortune on seat posts and tanks if you make straight bar frames to hang them ondnut

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Silverbear and LABoy,
Thanks for the business, and I am glad your satisfied with the quality. I have built 6 or 7 tanks now and I have been able to reduce the build time by about an hour, thats it. I thought I would be able to cut the build time in half on these tanks, but that has just not happened. I realize that I have a small market by making these tanks for only a couple old Schwinn designs, but the design and program time is fairly long for each design. I have now started to build up one frame at a time with a tank, welded on idler bracket with sprocket style idler, layback seat post and board track bars and sell as a package. I currently have two more frame sets in the works with one being spoken for.