Newbie !!!!

GoldenMotor.com

TN Crusin

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Hi all, new to the forum & world of motorized bicycles. I recently bought a Huffy 29'er, steel frame, single speed cruiser; gathered a little knowledge from this site. A friend had bought a motor couple months ago & I decided to complete the project for him. Some Chinese thing, basic, hand made a bracket & set to ride. Things actually a lot of fun.

Problem: I have shredded two coaster brake arms and even working not good brakes. Stopping is more important that starting, motorcycle background. Any suggestions, modifications, can I add handbrakes or is there a stouter coaster brake?

[/URL][/IMG]

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. We seem to be getting more new members from Tennessee lately. That's a good thing. Beautiful country.

Coaster brakes are okay, if, they are augmented with a decent front brake. Rim or disc brakes can be adapted. It might take a little fabrication on your part but it can and has been done many times.

You'll hear this from others too but if you haven't read this already please be careful with those fenders. They can cause you some grief if not mounted properly and reinforced.

Our search feature might offer you some help with brakes. Type in, 'Huffy 29er brakes' and see what other members have done.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

I've got a Huffy 26" that I've added front and rear calipers and upgraded the rear wheel to a Shimano equipped coaster brake. It stops very well. As Tom stated, a front caliper will help a lot.

Best of luck in your adventures!

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place. I will agree, remove the fenders they have proven quite dangerous on motorized bikes. There are some bolt on disc brake kits out now that I believe the front hub on the Huffy may be able to take, you will have to drill holes but no welding. You just need to measure the reach but caliper brakes may fit front and rear and can be very effective combined with the coaster. Keep us updated on your project.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Welcome to the Forum!!
I'm sure you'll like it here and there's a lot of talent as well as help in here to help you get the bike just the way you want it...
I definitely agree on the fenders, these are very dangerous on motorized bikes and can cause some serious wrecks if they come off while riding.
For the brakes, I would also recommend transplanting a front disc brake onto the bike for the best possible stopping power, then you could use the coaster in the back just for slowing down or coming to a slow easy stop. Most coaster brakes won't laast stopping from 30+mph on a regualr basis, but in conjunction with a front disc or a set of caliper brakes front and rear, or a disc up front and a caliper on the rear will do your bike really well.
We can also help you find the right parts and who has the best prices for the parts you may need.

TN Crusin

Jul 29, 2015
Tennessee
Thanks for the heads up on the fenders, inspected & have a cracked weld already.

I'm outside murfreesboro. Was up your way lr jerry riding windrock a few weeks ago.

I need to look deeper on the 29'er, this phone is not optimal for browsing. It's time to find a solution to the brakes and put this thing on the road safely.