Bumstead wants to build a Gas powered Trike

GoldenMotor.com

3rdWheelExtra

Dec 26, 2012
California
Ha!

Look at this:

http://cyclehappy.com/trike-engine-...-four-cycle-chain-drive-trike-engine-kit.html

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Under the seat and made for the PAV3 There is also a two speed version.

So, I'm assuming that if this is a kit. It's much easier to do the mod.

Is that correct?

Batteries died on the camera.

I'll have more pictures and some measurements when my wife gets back from town.

Like to hear some feed back on the engine kit for the PAV3, and I want to keep on looking.

But this looks like someone already did the skull sweating for me.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The flat motors tick most boxes. It's important to drain the Chinese oil from it when you get one and replace that with something better. And observe running in procedures, even the good quality ones aren't quite as ready to run flat out as the Japanese originals.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
From what I read here and Elsewhere, the Subaru are robust, reliable, trustworthy. Proper Japanese engineering standards and metal. I like that.

3rdWheelExtra

Dec 26, 2012
California
EH035 STANDARD FEATURES AND SPECS Class Micro Shaft Horizontal
Cylinders 1
Displacement cc 33.5
Cycles 4 - Four Stroke
Fuel Gasoline Max HP/RPM 1.60 / 7000
Max KW/RPM 1.18 / 7000
Continuous HP/RPM 1.10 / 7000
Max Torque ftlbs/RPM 1.30/5000
Max Nm/RPM 1.76/5000 Bore x Stroke mm 39 x 28
Compression Ratio 8.6:1
Starter Recoil
Dry Wt lbs 8 Dry Wt kg 3.5
Length mm 191
Width mm 234
Height mm 246
Fuel Capacity US Gal 0.17 or 21.76 oz.
Fuel Capacity liter 0.65
Lube Type Engine Oil SAE 10W-30 SF or higher Oil Capacity fl. oz. 3.4
Air Cleaner
Muffler
The fuel cap may be Black or Red in color.
The 4th picture shows a EH035 and the smaller EH025 with the smaller clutch rotor.
4-Cycle OHV Design Compared to two cycle engines, the Micro 4-cycle OHV design emits one tenth the emissions and uses half as much fuel, greatly increasing efficiency.
Automatic Decompression System Automatic decompression system ensures starting ease with just one pull starting each and every time.
Connecting Rod with Needle Bearing Inserts Connecting rod with needle bearing inserts offers true bearing support to provide dependable performance in the toughest applications.
Hi-Temp Fluoride Oil Seal Hi-temp fluoride oil seal ensures maximum engine protection for extended performance life.
High-Carbon Steel Crankshaft High-carbon steel crankshaft with ball bearings on both ends ensures ultimate reliability in heavy load applications.
Lightweight, Compact Design The unique lubrication system, with a separate oil chamber, guarantees a smooth, stable-running engine throughout a wide range of operating positions.
Powder Metal Inserted Cam Gear Powder metal inserted cam gear ensures extra protection for added durability and extended performance life.
Quick Throttle Response Quick throttle response and wide rpm range meet the requirements of demanding applications.
Unique Lubrication System The unique lubrication system, with a separate oil chamber, guarantees a smooth, stable-running engine throughout a wide range of operating positions.

3rdWheelExtra

Dec 26, 2012
California
Concerning the legal issues:

• There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
•Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
•Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that: ◦Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
◦Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
◦Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

Motorized Bicycle (Section 406(b) VC)
•Driver's License not required but rider must be at least 16 years of age.

So the automatic transmission thing is the only gray area. If I get the one speed version of the above kit. I don't think the transmission thing would apply. If I get the two speed, it's not automatic, I have to shift to belt drive.

Probably never be a problem.

Whatcha'll think?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Is the clutch automatic on the 2 speed engine? Do the rules specify what part of the transmission must be automatic?

You will need top ratio for travel, even at moderate speed, on level ground; the low ratio will be for both climbing and, sometimes, descending hills.

3rdWheelExtra

Dec 26, 2012
California
Just says trannie has to be auto.

I don't really think it'd be much of an issue. The officer would have to realize that the thing amounted to a two speed setup. See what I mean?

Oh and it's the attached gear box that is two speed. It has matched outputs one on either side. The low speed side is chain driven and attached to a freewheeling sprocket on the axle.

The high speed side is v-belt driven. You shift with a lever that forces the belt to engage.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I also have heard good things about that engine. I'd go for the two speed. I don't think anyody is going to care in the first place and in the second, I don't think most would have any idea what they're looking at. Young guys who are hot rodding, riding in the wrong places, have super loud exhausts are a lot more likely to get negative attention. I think you're going to get smiles, thumbs up and a lot of enthusiastic questions. I run an American flag on my American Flyer and I think it helps in a couple of ways. There's the patriotic American pride aspect and it is also attention getting, making you more visible to motorists.

As long as you're comfortable with the price, I think you've found your motor. You know it will fit, that everything you need is in the kit. It will be quiet and easy to start, about like a weed whacker except four stroke.

You could probably find a cheaper solution with a lot more headaches in making it work, but this is meant to be fun, not too much hassle getting it put together and probably will go together in a weekend. This is going to give you a lot of mobility. You're going to love riding your trike! Woohoo!
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
There's more room than I thought, but not a lot without altering something or interfering with the basket. I like the way that Robin engine tucks right in there under the seat. Almost looks factory.
SB

3rdWheelExtra

Dec 26, 2012
California
SB,

The nice thing about getting the trike so cheap is that it built some wiggle room into the budget.

This kit does seem like a good way to go. I should learn a lot and no doubt there are many modifications I can make in the future that will teach me more.

I also want to paint it myself. Is there anything I need to be particularly careful about when stripping this thing down to the frame?

I'll probably get the engine and install it before I get into painting the trike. I want to think about it first, and you know ride around for awhile. :)

I'm thinking about trying to style the trike like one of those old fashioned Woodie Beach Cruiser Station wagons I see in surfer movies.

Build a nice varnished wooden bed where the basket was. Maybe something creative with the rear fenders. A big Desoto type headlamp.

I'm going to spend some time looking into lights.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think you'll probably be very happy with the Robin engine. Looks like a winner to me. As I said, I think with a small engine like that you would be wise to get the two speed version so you've got a little more power starting from a dead stop and climbing hills. I bet that's one smooth and quiet engine and imagine it will go and go and go sipping gas as it goes.

I like a big head light, too. Pictured below is a 53 Schwinn Hornet I built and sold a couple of years ago. The headlamp is from Harbor Freight and is made for dune buggies and comes with a kind of post mount underneath. It also has a big 12 volt halogen bulb inside that isn't going to work well with a bike battery. I modify mine and change it over to LED lights inside. It takes a little fussing, but if you decide you want to use one of these I'd be happy to walk you through modifying it to make it into a headlight.

I don't know of a big light like that made for motor bikes. You'd have to find a vintage one and pay dearly for it. I like the HF light since it is well made, has surprisingly good chrome and costs $12.00 or 13.00 bucks. How can you beat that? When the time comes and if you decide to go this route, remind me and I'll help you out.
SB

Attachments

3rdWheelExtra

Dec 26, 2012
California
I've been emailing these vendors concerning the engine kit.

http://cyclehappy.com/

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/products/PAV3_kit_Honda_GX35_35_8_cc_1_60_hp_Four_Cycle-899-28.html

If you look at the websites, the wording describing the kits is exactly the same. The cyclehappy site has a two speed version.

Staton, doesn't

Where do these folks source this kind of thing?

Cyclehappy doesn't have a phone number, just an email address. I sent them a question via email and never heard back. I can get the one speed kit from Staton, but the guy I emailed claimed they don't have time to "make the parts" for the two speed.

Seems a bit odd, so I thought I check in here and see if anyone had any thoughts.