Worse than Dirty Jobs

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I think I'll stick to what I do best: boring a**holes in hobby horses. It doesn't pay very well, but at least I don't have to do what those guys do for a paycheck :)
Tom

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
That Rail road inspector needs to buy a lottery ticket... HOLY S$%&!!!, I have seen the high tension inspection but I have never seen the guy's crawling on the lines... I thought working in the freezer @ -35 was bad!! I LOVE my job!

Mac

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Dang Bairdco! Talking about working in the nose bleed section!
I hope you got paid hazard pay for doing that.
Did you ever throw down a billiard ball or something to see how far it would go into the ground?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've thrown more than that;)

those jumbo superballs are good for up to 60' on cement. after that they don't bounce as high. i think they deform too much when they hit the ground.

golf balls will bounce back as high (when thrown) up to about 100'. i worked on a 100' monopole in a giant, empty yard where they teach people to drive semi trucks. there was a big field at the end. i chucked a golf ball, and it bounced about 20 times before ending up somewhere in the field, and the last bounce was still probably 50'. a golf ball would easily mess you up if thrown in the wrong direction.

it's inevitable that people drop tools, and i saw a 10" "spud" wrench go through the roof of one of those metal shipping containers. in case you never seen one, here's a spud wrench:

at sites in the middle of absolutely nowhere, like remote mountaintops, and the middle of the desert, i've shot off fireworks from towers, shotguns, little parachute men, frisbees, toy airplanes, you name it. i would go out of my way just to find something to huck off a tower.

then there's old antennas and stuff, it's fun watching them smash to the ground.

the reason i'm not doing it anymore, is because i was 850' up a tower in michigan and woulda had to jeopardize my life and crew to complete a job in the wind and rain, and i said "No." boss told me to climb down and sent me home.

one thing i don't wanna throw off a tower is myself.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
the reason i'm not doing it anymore, is because i was 850' up a tower in michigan and woulda had to jeopardize my life and crew to complete a job in the wind and rain, and i said "No." boss told me to climb down and sent me home.

one thing i don't wanna throw off a tower is myself.
It sounds like your boss was a jerk.
He could have waited until the inclement weather had passed.
Your life is worth more than an antenna repair, no comparison really.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
yup. i've got 12 years experience, and i think i know when it's safe or not. now, the money's not there like it used to be, so everyone's cutting corners. it ain't worth it.

every other year or so it makes the "most dangerous job in america" top spot.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
bairdco,
Seriously... I'd go back to afganny land for a year before I'd go up where you were... NO WAY JOSE, I can't even go on my roof without feel'in funny in certain places(guy thing)... Better u than me!! Funny, fly'in smallies doesn't bother me at all, Climbing does!

Mac

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
bairdco back in the 80s I worked off shore oil rigs as a derrick man I was only 90ft above the drill floor when they broke connection of schedule 80 drill pipe 3 30ft sections all together they would place the bottom pipe off to one side in a rack and the derrick man had to break the elevator throw a rope around the pipe and pull it back on your shoulder and walk backwards on a 2x6 they called the monkey board and place it in the derrick rack it was a smooth operation if you knew what you were doing, but if you missed the pipe the whole works would bang around in the derrick and you'd have to crawl out and get it and move it back into the rack at the same time the derrick was moving back and forth 3-4ft you had to be on your toes. And NOT scared of heights what so ever.