Will this design work?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Lewis,

Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

You will need to make a few post and become a active member before you can leave links.

But you should be able to attach a file using the manage attachments in the additional option below when you are posting.

Lewis_

Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Ahh I didn't realise, could someone delete that heh.
Here's the post with the image attached;

Hello all, first post here, thought'd i'd save the typical introduction thread and hop right in :)

If I'm honest, the idea of a motorised bicycle doesn't really apeal ot me, purely because they aren't legal here in the UK :p
However after discovering them for the first time a week or 2 ago, they have inspired some interesting ideas :)

I plan on using a kit like **URL was here, basicly the typical 50cc bike engine kit** to create my own mini go-kart / barstool racer / beer keg kart, call it what you will, the principles are all the same heh.
Up until about a week ago I had absolutely no knowledge of how these engines worked, and it's only after a great deal of reading that i'm starting to get a basic understanding.

Anyway, my initial design (steering missed off, would go on the bottom left side);
***Edit - not allowed to link it***
Obviosly this is just a basic sketch, but hopefully you get the idea.

Would this idea work? this is obviosly just the back wheels, the rest of the frame, steering, seat etc. would be added in after, I just want to know if the kit mentioned above will let me get this far :)

Thanks,
Lewis.

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Not sure how pulling the second chain tight would allow idling...

Other than that, yes, that design will work, but with and extra chain sprockets and jackshaft, why would you want to do that?

Lewis_

Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Honestly i'm not sure, I saw it done on a few blueprints and presumed it was done on all mini bikes / karts, after further reading i've realised that's not the case :)

So, here's my updated plan;

-- Engine kit Designed specificaly for this task, includes Pull Start, Coil, Carburetta Manfold, Carburetta, Air Filter, Clutch, Clutch Housing, 6 Front Pinion And Spark Plug
-- Kill Switch
-- Throttle assembly (not sure if this comes with cable?)
-- Fuel Hose + Clips
-- #35 chain
-- 68 tooth rear sprocket (ignore the picture, this is the actualy the back sprocket)

Things I still need to find

-- Fuel tank
-- Some sort of brakes.

Similler design to the one posted above, but instead of the jackshaft + chain tightener the clutch will just run straight to the rear sprocket.

Is there anything else I need to get (besides the wheels and making the frame), or will this just about cover it? :)

Lewis_

Apr 19, 2009
Bristol
Woo .rd.

It's looking like about £130-40 for everything except the wheels. My trouble now is that I can't find wheels cheaper than £15 each. £60 = nearly half the cost of the rest of the car, no way i'm spending that much on them :(