Fito Modena GT -- Reviving an old build

GoldenMotor.com

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Long Story Short:
The past summer I started this build, had it running for a couple weeks until things got bad (I'll skip the details). Basically, I couldn't use the engine I had on it. I decided to take a break, with the new semester rolling in I didn't have much time to work on my bike. Now that I'm back on vacation I want to get it running again.

I have a Fito Modena GT, as well as a cheap eBay kit. Currently, the bike has pretty much everything mounted but the engine. It looks pretty naked, here's what the bike looks like now (you can click on the thumbnails to enlarge):

What I've done so far:
  • Bought a new eBay kit ($92). All I needed was a new engine, but I figured I mind as well buy a whole kit. Now I have a ton of spare parts.
  • Salvaged the upgraded hardware from my old engine. I'll transfer them to my new engine soon.
  • Gave the bike a good wipe down, checked all the nuts and bolts, re-pumped the tires, etc.
  • Removed the old fuel line. I always had trouble doing this, I found using a razor to cut the line makes it much easier to pull off with pliers. I also got rid of all the gas remaining in the tank since it was sitting in the sun some days.

Random Pictures:
Just a pic of my little station, my workspace, and another one of the bike itself but with my longboard. I'm planning on putting an electric motor on that board, but that's a story for the future as well as another forum...

Notable Parts List:

Thanks for reading/looking at my thread, any comments, questions, words of wisdom, etc are appreciated!
~Happy new year!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Joe,
Thanks for sharing your project. That should make a very nice looking bike when you're finished.
I noticed you have the engine drive chain tensioner installed. Have you tried not using a tensioner? Some bikes lend themselves to not using one and you'll be better off if that's possible.
However, if you must use it assure that the tensioner bracket will not loosen and allow the tensioner to rotate inward into your spokes. Many wheels have been destroyed by that happening and a few injuries too. Be careful.

Otherwise you're well on your way to a successful motorized bicycle. Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

JoeMetro

May 4, 2014
California
Thanks 2door! Since reading your post I have removed the chain tensioner. After a fair amount of miles if I feel I need the tensioner I'll try putting it back on, but it would be nice to have one less thing to worry about.

So this morning I was installing all the upgraded hardware (you know, loctite and all that) and I had the idea of mixing some parts of my old engine with the new.

My old engine was black and my new one is the plain grey, and I think the result is quite nice. My only concern is the old cylinder head was pretty burnt, but I don't think that'll be much of a problem since the new one would get burnt anyway.