Honda 70 Restoration

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
At the urging of Red Rider and Paintgun, and maybe a slender narcissistic streak, I decided to start this thread. I know it isn't a motorized bicycle but it shares a lot with our beloved little bikes. It has a similar heritage in that it is a small cc two wheeler not intended for highway use but simply an effecient way to grab some groceries or make a beer run occasionally.

It is a 40 year old Honda that has been in my wife's family since the early 80s and spent most of its time at the in-law's summer cabin in upstate Minnesota where it served as a quick, cheap way to make grocery runs to the closest grocery store three miles away. It was acquired by my father-in-law as payment for some work he did for the old guy who originally owned it and was never licensed or titled in Minnesota. Upon the passing of my wife's Dad her mom has had a lot of the things that were at the Minnesota cabin brought back to Denver and the Honda ended up in a shed here. I've looked at it several times and realized that it was in remarkably good shape. No rust, few scratches and everything was there including the two mirrors that I pirated for use on two of my motor bikes.
I currently have four motorized bicycles and no desire to build another one at the moment but Colorado winters can be long and cruel and I needed a project to get me through the dark months ahead.

Here's what I have to start with. A 1973 Honda 70 with a little over 800 miles on the odometer and in need of some tender loving care. My goal is to tear it apart down to a bare frame, clean, paint and polish it back to showroom condition. It won't be an overnight project and will take most of the winter but I'll keep those who might be interested up to date on my progress.
Wish me luck.

Tom

Attachments

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
They have a repop of that bike too.....and many parts available. The bigger engines drop right in too if you live near hills. Cool bike

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
running condition a bike like that can fetch $1500 around here.

the paint looks great! i'd just clean it up. if you're gonna do a resto on it, i'd make sure you can get all the stickers for it. those are usually hard to find and add to the value.

those little passports are great and there's still a lot of parts for the around.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Got to watch this i have one also but lots of parts missing

Wgat part of MN id the cabin?..............Curt

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Lots of good memories there from my early days.
I'd guess almost all us old guys remember riding one of these way back when...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
That's a really cute little scooter. I'd enjoy working on one of those. And riding it, for that matter.

I have vague memories of that model. Or Hondas, and others, something like that. I think I'm just about Maniac's age. But there weren't all that many bikes like that in my neighborhood. The one that actually was common in my neighborhood about 40 years ago now was the Solex. I think that's the only scooter/moped I ever rode as a pre-adolescent child. Simply because they were more common. I had a 1970 Yamaha Enduro 90 at about that time. My first motorcycle. I clicked on this thread expecting to see something like it. I don't know which I'd have preferred then. But I definitely prefer the Honda 70 now.

But back on subject; that's gonna be a good winter project for you, Tom.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys. This should be a fun project. I got the thing started yesterday and it hasn't run for six years. I didn't abuse it but just ran it slow and easy for a few seconds, just enough to get it hot enough to smoke. It smoked like heck but that might have been a goobered up muffler. With only 800 miles on the engine I doubt it has bad rings.

Curtis, it was in Bemidji, or actually Pinewood, which if you can find it on a map is about the size of a football field :)

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Over the years I owned several of the 50cc model of that Honda and found them wonderful for scooting off on short trips to get groceries, parts or whatever. The C50's were all red and white (or at least here in New Zealand they were). At one time I even owned a very early model with the little cast iron head push rod engine. All the nuts and bolts on it were metric, but an uncommon tpi, so it was essential to be careful not to misplace any during maintenance sessions. I suppose the thing would be worth a fortune now, - I sold it for $NZ200.00 if I remember correctly.

Tom, with such an original condition bike try to preserve as much of the original finish as you can and avoid any temptation to do a total repaint. Bikes are only in original condition once and when that state of finish is gone it's gone for good.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
At the urging of Red Rider and Paintgun, and maybe a slender narcissistic streak, I decided to start this thread. I know it isn't a motorized bicycle but it shares a lot with our beloved little bikes. It has a similar heritage in that it is a small cc two wheeler not intended for highway use but simply an effecient way to grab some groceries or make a beer run occasionally.

It is a 40 year old Honda that has been in my wife's family since the early 80s and spent most of its time at the in-law's summer cabin in upstate Minnesota where it served as a quick, cheap way to make grocery runs to the closest grocery store three miles away. It was acquired by my father-in-law as payment for some work he did for the old guy who originally owned it and was never licensed or titled in Minnesota. Upon the passing of my wife's Dad her mom has had a lot of the things that were at the Minnesota cabin brought back to Denver and the Honda ended up in a shed here. I've looked at it several times and realized that it was in remarkably good shape. No rust, few scratches and everything was there including the two mirrors that I pirated for use on two of my motor bikes.
I currently have four motorized bicycles and no desire to build another one at the moment but Colorado winters can be long and cruel and I needed a project to get me through the dark months ahead.

Here's what I have to start with. A 1973 Honda 70 with a little over 800 miles on the odometer and in need of some tender loving care. My goal is to tear it apart down to a bare frame, clean, paint and polish it back to showroom condition. It won't be an overnight project and will take most of the winter but I'll keep those who might be interested up to date on my progress.
Wish me luck.

Tom

i have been building honda 3 wheelers for the last 10 years !!!

i have a compleat parted out 1981 honda ATC 70 unfinnished prodject lol a 1986 HONDA 250r 3 wheeler took over lol , it ended up as a 310cc stroker....if you need parts ! PM me if you need anything

there is a compleate bottom end 4 speed auto a pretty good used jug youcan still see the crosshaches ! and the head needs new valve guids and a new vavles. the stock atc 70 cam is perfect and i have 3 carbs for it and a whole bunch of intakes ! you may be able to use frame parts also. the atc 70 was a kids trike that i was going to boar and stroke to 125cc .. beitrice cycles has mad parts even NOS stuff lying around and 3wheeler org has good info on that motor. i am not shure what bottom end you have but i got a pull start 4 speed auto you can have if you want ! this is the cr 50 type horizontal motor right ? 50 70 90 110 and 125cc ?

srs if you need anything pm .... dirt cheap im talking just cover shipping lol

been on this site for many years lol http://www.3wheelerworld.com/

as a mater of fact .... i just got my holow hub trike conversion yesterday !!!!! yehh

tis site has info on the c70 trail and passport and parts for them also
http://dratv.com/info.html

your bike is a c70 passport ....they have a sweet bolt up no case work 88cc kit up on the site http://dratv.com/enparpas.html

the carbs i have for this model are a 19mm stock 70 carb and 2 26mm kien carbs one has a fuel acselerator pump that requires a special dual cable twist throttle but ROCKS once its tunned !!! the acsellerator pump offers a burst of fuel right off the line for extreem take off power and yes it does work !!! i had it up and running on a 200e big red but will work on your c70 passport f you do some port work and have a free flowing manifold and exhaust

i think the c70 only has a 3 speed gear box if u want to upgrade to a 4 speed auto you could use the bottom end i have but you may have to convert to pullstart unless you can swap over the kick starter and side cover. with the manual clutch conversion and a 4 speed with a 88cc boar kit high comp i think you would have a monster wheelie machine !!!

just so you know there is a bolt up e start 190cc daytona motor available for your bike lol !!! http://www.hondaatc70.com/Pages/Engines.aspx

if you have questions ask me man this motor is my specialty !!!! i even have special valve cutting and guid reaming tools just for honda builds !

dead srs though .. this type of honda motor holds a special place in my heart as i grew up ridding the same atc 70 that is sitting in parts now lol i rode it for many years then my children rode it then it sat, i planned to uppgrade it to a 125cc so my kids could get one more kick out of it before they were to big for the bike but here it sits, i would rather have the parts go to use than continue sitting around so ask and you shal recieve ....

i also have a brand new NOS honda seat cover and foam that looks like it would fit the c70 its smooth and says honda on the side

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
its a honda. it'll run forever. :)

i bought those 2 1967 CT90's a while back that were seized and hadn't run for at leat 10 years.

took one apart, poured PB Blaster in the cylinder and beat the stuck valves loose with a hammer.

put it back together with 10¢ worth of homemade gaskets and fired it right up...

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
its a honda. it'll run forever. :)

i bought those 2 1967 CT90's a while back that were seized and hadn't run for at leat 10 years.

took one apart, poured PB Blaster in the cylinder and beat the stuck valves loose with a hammer.

put it back together with 10¢ worth of homemade gaskets and fired it right up...
Classic Honda reliability!
I had an ATC 110 seize on me from no oil (I know, I know) Once I hammered the piston out of the jug, I sanded the piston and cylinder down with sandpaper to remove the galling, replaced the rings and it ran!
No telling what the compression was after that "repair"...It was truly hardcore ugly.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks guys. This should be a fun project. I got the thing started yesterday and it hasn't run for six years. I didn't abuse it but just ran it slow and easy for a few seconds, just enough to get it hot enough to smoke. It smoked like heck but that might have been a goobered up muffler. With only 800 miles on the engine I doubt it has bad rings.

Curtis, it was in Bemidji, or actually Pinewood, which if you can find it on a map is about the size of a football field :)

Tom
Just a hour north of me. Doe you still have it or come up there? Nice area to have a cabin.......Curt

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Congratulations on an excellent restoration candidate! Those Passports can fetch alot of $$$ if properly restored. I too vote for the original paint to be restored rather than covered up with a re-paint job. It is only truly original once...

I still respect those engines. They are bullet proof. At school we had to completely tear down and rebuild both 50cc and 70cc versions. The test was a full throttle cold start run for 2 minutes. If it leaked oil or blew up, you failed.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks for the suggestions and offers, guys. I agree that the best option would be to retain the original paint. In fact there are so few blemishes, virtually no rust and no dents that it shouldn't be too difficult to compound the finish and buff it back to a near like-new condition.

I'm not sure if I'll go into the engine or not. I want it clean and shiny on the outside so I'll probably take everything off to get to all the nooks and crannys but as long as it feels good and the compression is up to snuff I probably won't get into an engine rebuild. The speedometer works so I have to assume the 821 miles showing on the odometer is close to accurate.The carburetor is pretty gummy inside and out so it will surely get a good cleaning and gaskets.

I've ordered a Haynes shop manual for it that should answer any questions and I have the tools for the job. We're currently in the middle of our first winter storm and the weather is supposed to be bad for a few days so I won't be bringing the little guy home until next week at the earliest.
More to come when the project gets going. Thanks again for the encouragement and for tolerating a non-motorized bicycle project to be covered on the forum.

Tom

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
I believe the passport/pup is the most sold motor vehicle of all time...they had them many years worldwide

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
That's a awesome little bike! (^)

I really love old Hondas... They're bullet proof, (if you just keep them filled with oil).

I concur that a little 'cream puff' bike like this might be even nicer with just a polishing of the stock paint & trim... ;)

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Thanks for the suggestions and offers, guys. I agree that the best option would be to retain the original paint. In fact there are so few blemishes, virtually no rust and no dents that it shouldn't be too difficult to compound the finish and buff it back to a near like-new condition.

I'm not sure if I'll go into the engine or not. I want it clean and shiny on the outside so I'll probably take everything off to get to all the nooks and crannys but as long as it feels good and the compression is up to snuff I probably won't get into an engine rebuild. The speedometer works so I have to assume the 821 miles showing on the odometer is close to accurate.The carburetor is pretty gummy inside and out so it will surely get a good cleaning and gaskets.

I've ordered a Haynes shop manual for it that should answer any questions and I have the tools for the job. We're currently in the middle of our first winter storm and the weather is supposed to be bad for a few days so I won't be bringing the little guy home until next week at the earliest.
More to come when the project gets going. Thanks again for the encouragement and for tolerating a non-motorized bicycle project to be covered on the forum.

Tom
only 821 miles ? good god man its brand new !!!!!!

i would keep it stock and after you put some good miles on it and want to rebuild, then go for the mods

it may not be a bicycle but its got the motor most of the older generation here grew up riding ! that and its allong the lines of a motorized bike as in it serves the same pourpose. i think you will find a lot of interest here.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I had a red and white Honda 50 in 1968. Think I paid $75 for it and rode it for a couple of summers and then a friend wanted it so I sold it. It is one of the ones I wish I'd kept.

Steve.