New Engine w/ stripped clutch nut?

GoldenMotor.com

jlaw7005

May 11, 2012
colorado
I wish I knew what this nut is called - but it's the one located directly beneath the clutch arm case. It's the one that needs to be turned when first installing the chain.

My problem, which I have never encountered in almost 50 kits is this: This nut is stripped and will not turn the small chain drive that I assumed is it's main purpose, aside from keeping it tight.

Although it's stripped, I pulled the spark plug and got the chain on anyway. I'm just wondering if it's simply not going to work - before I go through the trouble of completing my installation, rather than just sending it back.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? I'd greatly appreciate it.

- Jon

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
this has happened with a kit I had one time before. Look carefully - is the nut stripped or the shaft? If it's the nut you may find one at fastenall (a national supplier) or some other place selling metric nuts and bolts. Good luck tho it's a really strange little item with an odd pitch. If the shaft is bad you Will have to replace the whole thing anyway. If your search for a nut fails I'ld call that's dax and see if Duane has the correct parts.

jlaw7005

May 11, 2012
colorado
I'm not sure which is stripped, but I'd assume it's the shaft. The nut extends to the end of the threads, so I can neither tell which is stripped or really get it off. I could drill it or grind it off, but I'll probably either just run it how it is and test it thoroughly - or if there's any sign of trouble I'll send the whole thing back. Gotta love these kind of little surprises... I'll report back after trying it.