Just whining & self pity

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Last weekend I was working on my house and through being a little stupid, slashed my thumb open pretty good on a sawzall blade while changing blades. So I've got 4 stitches in the base of my thumb on the palm side of my right hand (I'm a righty). This was the day after I got my kit running with duct tape and bailing twine, literally. So I ordered up some of my missing parts: Gas cap, throttle & cable, clutch lever, and an exhaust gasket. Stuff that will make my project be less janky, and more generally viable. Ordered from Dax, and apparently he ships like lightning cause it all arrived today. But I can't install anything becasue can't grip any of the tools I need to install the parts! Even simple stuff like an allen wrench or screwdriver tears up my stitches. I don't do well when a project gets going and I can't keep on it, drives me nuts. Argh! That's all, nothing to see here, carry on. :-||

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Jaaaysus, complain complain complain. LOL:)
Seriously, that's a bummer. Seems like when your willing AND able, nothing. Then get ready to go, and this kind of thing.
Any kids around? Might be an option, putting them on it. Of course, stripped bolts may follow!
Patients, I suppose. Let us know how it works out.

Janky? Where you from man? I say that in Montana, and people look at me like I have two heads.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Lived in Maine my whole life. Don't know if "janky" is a regional thing, but I've always said it and heard it. I think summer folk come up here on vacation and leave their words here, we have all kinds of words that don't belong here. "Ayuh" is definitely ours though.

If my daughter were big enough to hold a wrench, you better believe she'd be out there with me. Needs a few more years for that. Hoping to raise a greasemonkey.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Hmmmm, working on 2 kinds of motor skills at once, eh? Haha. I tried that, I'm actually pretty decent with my left, but my trouble is I still need to hang on to the parts with the other hand. Made it as far as changing my clutch lever out, and sliding the new throttle onto the bar, and putting on the gas cap. The rest I need 2 paws for. I'm just biding time and learning about all the cool stuff I can do to this motor once I'm back in operation. Luckily there are some sweet photos and write ups around here to look at.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Yeah, this is one heck of a resource. Great people too.
A Maineac huh? I worked up around Blue Hill, and down on Vinylhaven one summer. Beautiful place, I love the forest there. I'm in Bozeman Montana, and the woods here are not quite as wet.
If the child is small enough, I recommend a hand tool carousel! lol

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
I know your pain mentally and physically. Two years ago I stepped on a glass and had it go 4 inches up in my foot. 10 stitches...Hurt worse them deadening it! No kidding. Anyway, I hate starting something if I can't finish due to something unforeseen. It sends me in panic mode. I think it is a legit phobia or something LOL. Also still waiting on my kit...Can't wait. Good luck!

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I know how it feels to have yer baby just sitting in the garage and begging for your attention. I ordered some stuff for mine on the first of August, THEN had a stroke on the evening of the second. I think almost a week in the hospital did more damage than the stroke itself. Anyway,I Lost a little ability on my left side but I got my baby together and am still riding so I guess I'll be OK. Starting a nut with my left hand is now a little more difficult, BUT I just walk around and tackle it with my right. As long as I can still grip the handlbars I'm gonna RIDE.
hope your hand heals up OK.
fatdaddy.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
sorry to hear that...

one of the main points to take away from this is to ALWAYS unplug or pull the battery out of anything when you change blades.

i've worked with sawzalls and portable band saws for years and have seen a few people chop themselves up, and plenty of close calls...

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's a shame you can't do what my brother does. He has prehensile feet, he can actually write with his right foot. I still haven't caught him eating a banana with it though.