Aflac disability insurance?

GoldenMotor.com

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
After watching Bardco's aftermath of his crash and contemplating my own position I find myself wondering about supplemental disability insurance. I have short term disability at work but they make it hard to get and it only pays 60% of your base wage. I work nights and have an 18% shift differential. I can tell you; if I were wadded up like Bard for 6 months I'd be on the street at 60% of income. I live paycheck to paycheck and a 3-6 month couch vacation would financially do me in. SOOOO. Not wanting pesky salesmen on my phone and email night and day, I'm coming here for words of advice. For say, $1400 a month in disability insurance for 6 months; what might this cost a 54 year old long term smoker who's about 75 lbs overweight with hypertension ( controlled) I await your combined knowledge!

KenX

Apr 20, 2013
Lake Fork, Texas
Jmho you will pay a premium for disability insurance. My dad had it once and it indeed pay off. But he dropped it for some reason I assume costs. He is dead now and I cannot ask him. You probably will have to get in touch with these salesmen to get an idea of what you will pay.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'd be surprised if ANY insurance coverage would pay off on a motorbicycle crash. They would weasel out of it somehow...

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i can't say enough good things about aflac. :)

when my company first offered it to us a few years back i signed up and a week later i broke my arm skateboarding. i had 2 months off work and with the disability and the accident policies, i got about 7 grand. and i only made one payment. :)

with my recent crash, it's really paying off. i have a bunch of different plans with them. cancer, specified incident (covers strokes, heart attacks, etc) accident, hospital and disability.

after being laid off i got on state disability and my aflac policies stay in effect at the same premiums.i chosevto suspend the cancer and specified incident plans, and i'm paying around $70 to keep the other 3 going.

there's different disability plans. mines 12 months at about 85% of my wages.

the accident plan is also well worth it. they pay you a set amount for the injury, and pay for a ton of other stuff, like $35 for each dr. visit (up to 8, i think) and $50 for each physical therapy visit (up to 10.)

the hospital plan is great, too. pays a huge chunk of the bill, even if your regular insurance covers it.

as far as worrying about them denying a claim because you're on a motorbike, don't. they'll cover you as long as you're not committing a crime or drunk while crashing.

and it's not like workman's comp. they don't care if you go skateboarding or riding your bike the dayvafter the accident. they pay for whatever bills you send them. if the doc says you're still disabled, they pay. no matter what.

one of the main reasons i got aflac was because i knew i'd eventually crash my bike. whether it was my fault or getting hit by a car. and when it happened, i knew i'd be covered.

it's not expensive if you look at it like "i'm probably going to hurt myself." i'm 44 and still act like a kid, so i know i'm not done wrecking myself.

and, like you said, i'd probably be homeless if i didn't have it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Well. the Goose is slightly less annoying than the Gecko...
That scottish accent is all wrong for a reptile...