I have a brand new 80cc kit, when i had it it hard no spark, changed the magneto

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
IDK, seems very strange to me. He had mentioned that he had spark at one point, I have to assume he knew to let out the clutch then...
I read this forum and sometimes I am shocked by the lack of basic understanding of some people that want to build and ride a MB. The mechanics of these bikes are simple enough to understand, I think just about anyone should be able to get their head around how they function, if you don't want to put in that time to understand the basics you should probably keep pedaling or buy a scooter. If you don't know if your motor is turning over or not then you got some learning to do! I mean, a motor just sitting there isn't gonna spark!

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
He's just getting started in this. Heck, I give him credit for having the courgage to admit he overlooked something simple. We've ALL done that at some point...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Three bad CDI units pushes the bounds of credibility a bit. You're more likely missing something simpler.
Here in the US, I'm seeing a lot more of these folks that know every button & hack for their techno-gadgets but have no idea which end of a screwdriver to hold onto : (

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
He's just getting started in this. Heck, I give him credit for having the courgage to admit he overlooked something simple. We've ALL done that at some point...
I guess the part of my point you are missing is with a MB if you don't have a firm grip on how it operates you could hurt yourself. You best wrap your head around how the clutch functions before you head out into traffic!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There's the ticket :)
I read almost every post that shows up here daily and I too sometimes wonder about the folks who have no basic mechanical understanding yet want to build/ride a motorized bike. I've wanted to question them and ask, "Why?" But then I think about all of the things I've never done and get a desire to do and where would I be if I'd never at least tried? Watching TV?. Now there's a productive and satisfying endeavor.

And, yes, who here hasn't made what we would all consider a "dumb mistake"? And how many will admit when they do?
To the OP, I say, keep after it sir. One day you'll look back and thank yourself for your perseverance.
Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Yeah Tom, that "why?" question is a good one. IMO that's the good thing about hobbies; we can choose whatever we please. In fact, my theory is that we choose based on what we find exciting and not (necessarily), based on our repoirtoire (sp?) of acquired skills.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hey, I've left the choke on and tried to start it, several times. Thats after I checked the plug connection, gas flow, ect,ect,ect. It doesn't happen anymore though, I either remove the thing altogether or at least tie it down. I'm in Ca. so theres really no need for cold weather starting help like a choke. Probably not a recomended thing to do on the east coast.
All I'm sayin is Poo Poo happens to the best of us. We live, We learn.
fatdaddy.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Here in the US, I'm seeing a lot more of these folks that know every button & hack for their techno-gadgets but have no idea which end of a screwdriver to hold onto : (
Not meaning to belittle guys on the path to learning here. Just cutting some posts short due to my health issues : (

What I meant was the guys that want a quick google-answer rather than an understanding of how/why it's done. These folks want a quick set of steps to a fix and do not want to waste any time actually learning anything useful in the process.

I'm especially peeved at those that start building these bikes as a business without any understanding of what they're building. They follow the same steps on every build and sell whatever results from those steps whether it will run more than a day or not.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
Crassius, no problem... But I do think you're barking up the wrong tree. By reading your posts in this thread (even this recent one), it kind of sounds like you're accusing US of using this forum to get quick answers so we can sell bikes.. I'm sure there are some people that fit that description, but heck, don't take your frustrations out on us...

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Not at all. If I felt that way about the forum, I wouldn't post here. While there are many wrong ways to do these, there isn't just one right way. Seeing other's methods & techniques is just the kind of learning experience that fills one's mental toolbox.

Please accept my remarks as those of an old man frustrated with the last three generations of kids that don't want to take the time to actually understand things rather than just get answers from google.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I gotta agree with Groove here Crassius. You've judged this forum after being a member for only a couple months. You are obviously a builder but don't say how long YOU have been doing this. You buy the engines for your builds from BGF and are having problems with them, (really?) On one of your post you recommend "blowing" through the exhaust to see if it's plugged. With what, yer lips wrapped around it? There's NO WAY to build enough pressure with your lungs to make this a valid test. So it seems you still have some things to learn also. Not knocking you cause we all keep learning, He!!, I wish I knew EVERYTHING, But I'm not even close.
And yes, there are a few here that don't have the experience you obviously have, But this is an OPEN forum, and we were all noob's at one time or another, even you. The first thing you have to do to learn, is ask the question. So we all just do what we can, even to go as far as to describe which end of the screwdriver to hold if need be.
But I do have to agree with you on one thing. People that churn out bikes to sell after building only one for themselves are just looking to get someone killed. So far I've got somewhere around 70 builds behind me, and was building bikes for me and my friends for a few years before I started doing it as a small business.
So take it easy on the button pushing generation. They really didn't have a choice as to what era they grew up in. As long as they are willing to try, and learn something in the process, it's all good in my book.
fatdaddy.
P.S. And Google is a GREAT place to get answers, It's how I found this forum.

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
And sorry for the tirade Crassius, But I'm a little tired of people with NO patience with the younger people. I also have health issues. My Dr. actually told me I would be lucky to live to my next birthday, That was last August. Having personall issues is no reason to be so angry with anyone simply for being naive.
fatdaddy.