The BikeBug thoughts and feelings

GoldenMotor.com

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Hi all, I liked the idea of the bb, and tananka makes a fine engine.
But the headaches of the bb are many.

Finally got one of the two to go, today, such a pain in time and effort, I shed a small tear as it fired up.

What have you found or wish to ask.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I think if you spend 25 years working on a Harley, China Girls are a piece of cake.

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Well this was on the bikebug.

A Harley, I'd never touch....or own.

The china girls are jig saw puzzles with few of the pieces fitting.

Claims of 25mph on the bb is unrealistic, downhill with a tail wind maybe.

I did some adj. and added abrasives to the roller, and still with the engine SCREAMING I may have fit 15mph.

I am disappointed.
I still have another to get running the one with the auto clutch.

Anyone need a fine BB only used by a lil old lady to get to church on Sunday...

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I looked at them on the bike bug site.

I remember seeing them in the Sears catalog when I was a kid.

I have no interest at all.

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
I wonder at mounting it in the rear, or just re purposing it, as a generator? or a
paddle wheel motor.

Funny with the muffler so low, you'd think the sound would be low, but damn if I was not able to hear myself think.

The vibes thru the h bars was very annoying, after a half hour, my hands itched like ****.

The idea of buying one of these unknown for $500 -350 used would be a bad day for you.

Anyone know why bikebug.net does not sell on ebay?

u2seek42

Aug 1, 2010
US
Thank that leads to a dead vid.

the bike bikebug has a 23cc engine, I'd be happy to get and easy 20 mph out of it.

After riding it for an hour having to fuss with it all the day trying to find the sweet spot of speed and noise.

I got on my Livefast FD 31cc and it was like a breath of fresh air, there is no comparison.

As I said it is a shame as I liked the idea. As with the solex.
Still want one but the quality and price are a turn off.

With the many inexpensive 2 stroke scooter motors 75,85,100 out there, and the Dax and others kits, just the better way to go.

I bought the livefast kit second hand for a lil over 200, and then found the same engine for 65 new. So for less than 300 I have a great kit, and a spare engine.

Sad to say when I zipped by by on my livefast I got smiles an nods of approval, as I went by on my bikebug all I got were head shakes and looks of sympathy.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I think if you spend 25 years working on a Harley, China Girls are a piece of cake.
You are not kidding. I've talked to many men who love their HDs, and even they will admit: they like working on their HDs too. And you do need to work on them now-and-again.

My little Happy Time, Bang-Bang, China Girl just doesn't need that much attention, bless her aluminum heart.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I LOVED my Bike Bug. Smooth as silk.
What are you doing with it?
bike bug. com is a guy in texas who wants you to pay to get info...not even sure if they are still in "business".

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I've had several of these. As I recall they are 26cc. Yes, kind of a pain to get a dead one going again, but they're well made little motors. I don't use them anymore as I did not want to pedal (being partly crippled) and needed more power. But they have their place. I think one mounted on a period three speed to assist with pedaling could be just the retro ticket as they are great little motors. One nice thing about them is that when you disengage it from the front wheel you have absolutely silent running. Some people like to pedal, just want to take a break now and then and cruise with the motor or get a little help on hills.
I made my own rollers casting them in epoxy, one version with grit for wet conditions and the other plain.
Then I went to China girls. Not enough power. Then to hundred CC engines. If you want power, the Bike bug is a disappointment.If you just want a helper, it's a nice little motor.
SB