need some help

GoldenMotor.com

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I have a bevel gear that is being stubborn.Trying to take it off to install a Centrifugal Clutch I open the clutch cover and the screw was off just rattling in there.So I'm glad I found it now,but the gear won't come off strip two crank puller and I put them on by hand tightening like it's say in this forum.Is there any other kind of puller I can buy beside the one that's in most kits . Thanks

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I have installed many centrifugal clutch kits and I lubricate the threads of the pulling tool
and the small bevel gear before trying to pull. Also after hand tightening the puller, I tighten it some more with a wrench, hand tightening alone does not necessarily engage enough of the threads, which is why it is stripping.

If there is a Harbor Freight Tools store near you, try this:
Automotive Pulley Puller
Thread the CC holding bolt into the crankshaft's threads and let the puller press against that.
If it doesn't work for you the tool is easily returned for a refund.

Last edited:

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Thanks I have stripped 3 now of the crank puller .I have oiled the pullers and the gear and also tighten it after hand tighten with a wrench I been very careful.I think the gear is just stubborn... I hope I get off soon. Thanks rohmell

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Wow, I'm surprised that it is so hard to get it off, usually they pop off easily.
Worst case situation, you could Dremel the gear off.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
Well when I took the gear cover off the screw that holds the bevel gear was completely off just laying in the cover I think the gear is a little twisted thats the reason why it's being hard to get off.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Well when I took the gear cover off the screw that holds the bevel gear was completely off just laying in the cover I think the gear is a little twisted thats the reason why it's being hard to get off.
What about the spring washer, did you find that as well?

Maybe it's still stuck in the bevel gear, and that's why you can't get enough threads to catch without stripping.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
I also found the washer it was laying in the cover.I know it"s driving me crazy I took the gear off of one of my friends it came off easy.I really don't want use a lot of force because I'm scared of breaking something you know these china stuff.I think I might tighten the next puller a little more than the others with a wrench.Worst I can do is strip another one.Then I'll go to harbor freight.Thanks Rohmell for your help

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
rohmel I got if off easy this time I tighten the puller tighter with wrench it came off easy then...I think I might of messed up I pulled the woodfuf key off to but I don't how it goes back in now,maybe you can tell me if i need to use it or not?

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
rohmel I got if off easy this time I tighten the puller tighter with wrench it came off easy then...I think I might of messed up I pulled the woodruff key off to but I don't how it goes back in now,maybe you can tell me if i need to use it or not?
The CC does not use the Woodruff key. If you look at the part that slides onto the crankshaft, you will see that there is no cutout for a key to fit into.

In my first five or so installs, I cut a keyway into the CC so that it would use the key, but after that, I stopped, and have had zero problems running the CC.

So, just install it as it is, and it will work fine.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois
thanks rohmell I like to here that I did want to cut the slot for the key way anyway seemed like to much work...

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I add a lockwasher between the bolt and the flat washer that comes with the kit.
I don't use any Locktite, it's not needed.
When you tighten the bolt, you might see and feel the CC go down onto the taper of the crankshaft, just tighten the bolt snug, no need to use too much force on it.
I take out the spark plug and put a long piece of rope into the sparkplug hole so that the engine does not turn while tightening the bolt.