No spark!! Help!!!

GoldenMotor.com

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
i have an ht 80cc 2 stroke, first let me start off with my first problem, i was riding home from work and the front mount bolts snapped, wich broke the chain and front sprocket cover, so i ordered a new chain, fuel tank (wanted a bigger one), sprocket cover, cdi, and carb.repaired a week ago. i noticed my back tire needed to be replaced, so i rode up to the local bike store and bought a new tire, on my way home, im riding like usual, and about 1 block away the motor dies, discovered it has no spark(tachometer wasnt reading anything), so i put on the spare cdi i purchased, wired it up, and still no spark, so i assume its the magneto and purchased 2 from boygofast via ebay, and a magnet. my question is what would make the magneto fail after 500 miles, and earlier in the day i pulled the plug wire to kill the engine, could that cause magneto failure?

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I did not know that having the engine turning without a plug hooked to the CDI could kill it, but have read several reports on here about that exact scenario frying a CDI.

So yes, apparently if you do not have the plug attached to the plug wire and the engine is turning over, it can fry the CDI.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
so did you base your "no spark" problem off of the tachometer?
did you actually pull the plug out and check it for spark?
there are several things that can make a magneto fail.
water is one of them. If you've ridden in the rain recently, it could be wet AND water can fry a magneto.
are you sure that all of your wires are still connected?
any bare wire touching the frame or the engine?
these magnetos are CHEAPLY made so it doesn't surprise me that yours failed after 500 miles.
it may just be that you have a bad magneto, simple as that, and it may have just failed because of poor construction.
no, pulling the plug wire would not cause a magneto to fail.
why did you have to pull the plug wire in the first place? don't you have a kill switch?
if your kill switch isn't working THAT could be the cause of your no spark issue right there.
it could have internally shorted and overloaded the magneto.

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
i know the cdi isnt fried, because i installed my spare and still had no spark, all the wires are soldered and heat shrinked, and i have never used the kill switch, i use full choke to turn my engine off, and i do not use the white wire. i pulled the plug wire just to watch the spark jump (did it with my racing go karts and never had a problem) and it ran fine, the bike is a commuter i ride 28 miles round trip plus wherever else i have to go around town, gas station, walmart, bike shop,ect...

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Yeah, my bad, I misread the post thinking you were asking about the CDI.

So you pulled the plug and it sparks fine?

sleepy hollow

Apr 28, 2012
huntington beach ca
no it doesnt spark at all, when i had pulled the plug wire earlier in the day i could see it sparking, i did it out of random, then later on that day after returning from purchasing a new tire it died , i noticed the tachometer isnt reading an rpm(wich it does even if the motor isnt on and turning ofer by pedaling, it reads the spark) so i replaced the cdi and still no spark, my question is would removing the plug wire from a running engine fry the magneto,

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
no it doesnt spark at all, when i had pulled the plug wire earlier in the day i could see it sparking, i did it out of random, then later on that day after returning from purchasing a new tire it died , i noticed the tachometer isnt reading an rpm(wich it does even if the motor isnt on and turning ofer by pedaling, it reads the spark) so i replaced the cdi and still no spark, my question is would removing the plug wire from a running engine fry the magneto,
I don't think so, but that could be the cause of your problems. Check both magneto and CDI.