Mounting throttle & kill button

GoldenMotor.com

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I was planning this morning to drill the hole in the handlebar for the pin prepatory to mounting the throttle twist grip and the kill button. There is no pin in the grip. How can I mount it without the pin to keep it from turning? All suggestions appreciated as I hate to have to order another new one which may not have one either?
Thanks to all.
D. J. Pedal Pusher

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Use part of small bolt or a piece of rod to put in place of the missing pin. If it's a little small just epoxy it into the hole in the throttle.

:edit: Also dig through the bag and the box all your parts came in. The pin may have fallen out during shipment.

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
No pin in the box. I can see on the grip where it is supposed to be, but there is only a tiny raised place where the pin should be, barely discernable, more easily felt that seen. If I used a small piece as a pin, how would it fit into the place where the pin is supposed to be? Drill a small holeinto the plastic?
Thanks.

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I separated the top and bottom parts of the twistgrip/kill button. I placed the top part upside down and drilled a small holl through it. Then I placed it on the handle bar and marked the spot and drilled a hole in the handlebar. I measured the depth with a finishing nail and cut it to length. So you may want to try this if your pin is missing on the throttle.

I have been fooling around with this thing for so long that I in desperation ordered the motor mount from Sick Bike Parts and the sprocket and adapter from Creative Engineering aka Manic Mechanic . It was worth the wait as I mounted the sprocket in just a few minutes and the motor in sort order. Before, it nearly ran me nuts and I would bet I put that darn sprocket off and on a dozen times and it never would work and could not mount the motor satisfactorily. Save yourself lots of grief. Buy these parts.

I hope to be riding someday...

D. J. Pedal Pusher

pedal pusher

Feb 20, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Adam,

I haven't wired the kill switch yet. I am confused too about it and think I will need help in that area too. I am new too as this is my first attempt and I just wrung off the tiny end of the screw that holds the clutch cable to the actuator arm. I'm dead in the water again. Costly mistake and more delay. Shipping charges are outrageous. I am going to do a search on wiring the kill switch and I think the answer may be there. Lots of information and help from lots of nice folks in this forum.

D. J. Pedal Pusher

bseelbach

Jul 19, 2009
USA
The kill switch is rather easy. It is simply a two wire momentary switch. There are 2 ways to hook it up. Either will work. 1) Attach each of the kill switch wires to the cdi wires. It doesn't matter which goes where since the kill switch is simply completing a circuit when pressed. 2) Hook 1 wire from the Kill switch to the white wire and the other to a ground on the bike (bolt into/onto metal). Once again doesn't matter which wire goes where.
****DO NOT try to use one wire on the white wire and the other to another wire out of the engine unless you are completely sure which wires you are using. If you choose both (+) wires you could have a problem to CDI/Mag when completing the circuit via kill switch.

Regarding the throttle locating pin. I ground mine off and installed w/out a hole. I never had a problem. Now I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but I haven't had problems. Perhaps I got lucky with the diameters??? Try it like it is and see if you even need to bother investigating a fix.

Lastly, shipping charges can be crazy with some vendors. Look at ThatsDax. His shipping on parts is a flat $9/order and orders over $50 are free shipping.

adamg4119

Sep 24, 2009
Illinois
i am going outside to try it now, thanks soooo much, the instructions in my kit werent that great and i have almost no idea of what i was doing lol

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thanks a lot. I've heard that using the white wire to ground the coil/magneto will eventually weaken/damage it, so interrupting the CDI (is that Capacitor Discharge Ignition?) is the way to go for longevity.

I have been trying to find out if it was safe to ground the CDI in kill mode. Thanks. I don't want to BE the ground if that CDI is producing and a little sweat lets it zap me!

I used a Horn Button $2 for a lawnmower kill switch once, and shocked the FFFFF out of my arm once because sweat eventually got down in it one day of work, and pow!!!!

Here's a wiring diagram that might help those in need.
Tom

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
I didnt use the pin on my first throttle. I actually filed it off because I thought it was a moulding defect. I just tightened up the two screws and it never moved.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Good to know. Drilling into a round bar is dangerous, esp without a vice. If you have to do it, use a wood block, a u bolt, to make a flat, (predrill hole) , then use a small pilot bit first.

I didnt use the pin on my first throttle. I actually filed it off because I thought it was a moulding defect. I just tightened up the two screws and it never moved.

EnFlaMEd

Aug 25, 2009
South Australia
My second throttle I drilled for the pin because the pin was actually metal and I was a little bit wiser :D I marked out the spot I wanted and then used a file to create a flat spot. Then drilled a pilot hole and then the correct size hole. But yeah be carefull.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
has anybody converted to a standard BMX or Vbrake lever for a throttle on a grubee? I don't know if I like twist throttles. I am used to ATV thumb throttle, but a 2finger lever would suffice. (I'm going to be on/off with the throttle anyway.)

Street Asasn

Oct 8, 2009
Austin, TX
Ive used a brake lever before, I broke the one on my first kit and did it out of frustration, and eagerness to ride... Works fine, still on there

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Thanks! I like the twist grip and mate that came with the kit, but if I was building an off road/trail mo bike I would definitely go with lock-on grips and a lever. Good to know for future use or if I get tired of the twister.

I like the lever or thumb operated types better because you can leave your hand on the bar and not have to reposition, plus the fixed rubber grips feel better. I might change it after winter.

One might be able to use a 2 finger kids bmx lever as a thumb lever, if they have long enough thumbs and pretty much want to run off/WOT with it.

Ive used a brake lever before, I broke the one on my first kit and did it out of frustration, and eagerness to ride... Works fine, still on there

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
This worked well for me. Use a small very sharp file, and mark your position with a wrap of electrical tape (right next to where the hole will be. Flat spot the bar just the smallest amount possible, and use a tiny bit first at low low speed. Then you can use the pilot hole for the next size bit or final bit.

My second throttle I drilled for the pin because the pin was actually metal and I was a little bit wiser :D I marked out the spot I wanted and then used a file to create a flat spot. Then drilled a pilot hole and then the correct size hole. But yeah be carefull.

Evan

Dec 6, 2009
Mount Vernon, WA
The kill switch is rather easy. It is simply a two wire momentary switch. There are 2 ways to hook it up. Either will work. 1) Attach each of the kill switch wires to the cdi wires. It doesn't matter which goes where since the kill switch is simply completing a circuit when pressed. 2) Hook 1 wire from the Kill switch to the white wire and the other to a ground on the bike (bolt into/onto metal). Once again doesn't matter which wire goes where.
****DO NOT try to use one wire on the white wire and the other to another wire out of the engine unless you are completely sure which wires you are using. If you choose both (+) wires you could have a problem to CDI/Mag when completing the circuit via kill switch.

Regarding the throttle locating pin. I ground mine off and installed w/out a hole. I never had a problem. Now I wouldn't necessarily recommend it but I haven't had problems. Perhaps I got lucky with the diameters??? Try it like it is and see if you even need to bother investigating a fix.

Lastly, shipping charges can be crazy with some vendors. Look at ThatsDax. His shipping on parts is a flat $9/order and orders over $50 are free shipping.
I ground The pin off on mine too. Snugged up nice and tight. I was gonna put a wrap of rubber on there but ended up not needing to.
Good idea!!!

muddasukka

Apr 2, 2010
southern california
Here's a wiring diagram that might help those in need.
Tom
in your diagram you dont have the white wire being hooked up to anything, Why? I was under the impression that the white wire was basically your hot wire? how would you get anykind of spark to your plug if its not hooked up to something? Mine is wired in with the two blue wires ( thats with no kill swithch) and/or you could wire it to the yellow wire of the kill swithch and take the other wire and tie that in with the ground